Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
UglyStru

GZDB Going Apeshit: WAD crashing at startup?

I really can't get the hang of this mapping stuff. I've watched almost every tutorial on Youtube and read the Doom Builder PDF and still keep running into issues that aren't ever explained. This is Doom in UDMF format in GZDoom Builder, trying to test in Zandronum but it's crashing immediately. The error logs show nothing, but GZDB has these error messages and I don't know what the hell they are pointing to.

http://i.imgur.com/PxL7JQf.png

I have NOTHING placed in this except for a few sectors and a Player 1 spawn and apparently I can't even do that right.

Any ideas on how to get better with this stuff?

The thing about the missing marker is easy to fix with a wad editor like SLADE 3. You can either add a PP_END marker lump after the last patch, or delete the PP_START marker lump because the patch namespace is optional.

This is probably not what crashes Zandronum, though.

Does the wad crash if you run it from your computer directly and not from GZDB's Test Mode? What happens if you run it in ZDoom or GZDoom? Don't you have an old GZDoom Builder? Did you properly install GZDoom Builder separately from Doom Builder 2 (they're 2 different programs, they're not supposed to share any files, otherwise configs might corrupt)? How do the contents of your wad look like in SLADE3? What lumps are inside? Map lumps, patches, TEXTUREx, anything else? Post a SLADE3 screenshot or preferably the wad itself.

No idea why my PP_END disappeared, since it was originally fine. However, it did not fix the crash. It's crashing in Zandronum and in test mode. This GZDoom Builder install is just fine. I got an error upon saving the map beforehand saying it couldn't build the nodes, and I have no idea why. Logs don't show anything so I have no idea what the problem was so I just restarted from scratch. I'm gonna build everything first and then retexture later so I know where the faults come in.

I'm having another weird issue all of the sudden. When I try to use the default SKY texture from Doom II on my ceiling it doesn't show up as an actual outdoor area and instead just looks like a bunch of sky pictures tiled up. Any idea what could be causing this to occur?

stru said:

I'm having another weird issue all of the sudden. When I try to use the default SKY texture from Doom II on my ceiling it doesn't show up as an actual outdoor area and instead just looks like a bunch of sky pictures tiled up. Any idea what could be causing this to occur?

That's not how you get an outdoor area. You need a special flat called F_SKY1 to set the ceiling/floor as a void for the sky to be drawn.

Oh okay, that explains it. I was using just SKY1 and thought it was the one you mentioned. That's an ugly sky though and I found a few more in some texture packs, but they don't work the same. Is there something I need to modify in order for it to work? I'm guessing it needs to be a flat and in the FF namespace first.