Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Few minor additions / bug fixes

I was bored so I fixed some ancient issues I've always had with the forum parsing stuff:

• Extra newlines before and after the quote / code / list / spoiler tags are removed, so there won't be random vertical spaces in posts all the time

• Video links now accept full urls, so [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48[/yt] will work as well as [yt]jLKnCeeAW48[/yt]

• ( [video] and [youtube] also do the same thing btw)

• You will no longer automatically quote images or videos, dumbass.

• Also reformatted the quote vbcode a little just because.

I don't understand how to use spoiler tag? I tried in this thread and it just shows everything, even the tag itself:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/72907-first-wad-90minmap/

The tag wasn't described on the "vb codes" link in edit page, so I just googled how to do spoiler tag. Apparently this one is different. Either that or I messed up somehow.

Spoiler

Maybe it can't have attribute, like {spoiler="foo"}bar{/spoiler}
(just testing....)

^ Ok, well that was it...

Oh shit, I think you might've made a few bugs while you were at it.

For the record, what I attempted to say was "yay." Then some weird error message appeared in the top left corner of the redirect page and it ate my post or something.

Could you add a like function? Please don't hit me! Its just that I like a post, but I don't want to post something trivial like I agree with what you said. *high five*

geo said:

Could you add a like function? Please don't hit me! Its just that I like a post, but I don't want to post something trivial like I agree with what you said. *high five*

No.

82 people liked this.

scifista42 said:

When you quote posts with quotes inside quotes, it behaves oddly. Try to quote this post for example.

Pretty sure that was always the case. I know what causes it - quotes are removed by a simple regex, so it starts with the first [quote] and goes until the first [/quote] it sees, which screws things up if they are not the same level of recursion. But big deal, honestly.

Linguica said:

Pretty sure that was always the case. I know what causes it - quotes are removed by a simple regex, so it starts with the first [quote] and goes until the first [/quote] it sees, which screws things up if they are not the same level of recursion. But big deal, honestly.

It definitely wasn't like that before. The way it is currently just gives you broken quote tags when quoting that linked post. The would-be quote pyramid isn't removed, it's just got broken tags.

Linguica said:

No.

http://i.imgur.com/wGb0tHF.png<font size=-2>82 people liked this.</font>

How about a spam button; the kind that people can use to vote on, to bury/hide shitty posts?

Edit: Though, that might require a like button, to counter that; if the content of the post is subjective/ not overtly shitty.

Pretty melodic. This will definitely help with people who repeatedly post broken Youtube embeds.

Jaxxoon R said:

Google+ and Twitter both seem like the place for spam and I can't understand why anyone would want to be a part of either.

However, Twitter and Facebook integration would make Doomworld's forum the place for Doom news and not IGN stealing stories from the forum.

Linguica said:

Nested quote 1

Nested quote 2

What a work of art. You are as talented are you are handsome.

Linguica said:
Linguica said:

Nested quote 1

I know, right? I am unappreciated in my own time.

Linguica said:
Linguica said:
Linguica said:

Don't worry, I know the score.

Linguica said:
Linguica said:
Linguica said:

Don't worry, I know the score.

Quote pyramids seem to work fine, though a cure has yet to be found for their effect on sanity.

How dare you make this forum actually work? It being broken is a part of history!

Gez said:

Quote pyramids seem to work fine, though a cure has yet to be found for their effect on sanity.

I could just remove all nested levels of quotes, but I don't know if that's an obviously superior option?

I prefer the context you get from having a couple layers of quotes preserved, for whatever that's worth.

Follow your heart.

Geo's comment made me laugh. I've spent so much time on Reddit recently that I keep looking for the button to upvote posts on DW. Then I realize I have to write some little thing, which I'm always loathe to do if I have nothing to add because on most forums that's breaking the rules! Conclusion: the web is full of dumb rules that surely must have been started by somebody worried about disks or bandwidth in 1991.

Nice to see YouTube timestamps working.

The only feature I've ever really missed on here is a multi-quote button like on the Bethesda forums. Being able to quote several replies without doing the olde back-and-forth cut/paste is nice. On the other hand, that feature is JS-heavy and I have it turned off on DW in case I want to look at post hell.

rf` said:

How dare you make this forum actually work? It being broken is a part of history!

Indeed. It's a Festivus miracle!

Aliotroph? said:

The only feature I've ever really missed on here is a multi-quote button like on the Bethesda forums.

I'd be happy just with pingback links when quoting people.

It could look like that:

Aliotroph? said:

The only feature I've ever really missed on here is a multi-quote button like on the Bethesda forums.