Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Amph

Recomend me the best maze wad

hi, i'm searching for a map or better, for a mega wad that is only built around maze maps, no large arena, only a complex labyrinth

I remember there is some marble maze level for Doom that uses Nine Inch Nails' "Head Like a Hole" song. It's a 1994 or 1995 song, not sure what it's name was precisely.

After playing the entirety of Maximum Doom I would recommend it as nearly every wad is full of mazes for you to enjoy.

I won't be satisfied until I see a map consisting of nothing other than 64-wide corridors. And at least 20 minutes to complete.

Memphis: try to FDA E1M4 of KILL.WAD. It's not a big map but getting 100% kills may take you a while. ;)

Amph: Cleimos 2 is a classic megawad that's at least 50% mazes, which ties directly into the WAD's story rather than being simply a gimmick or lack of imagination on the authors' part.

scifista42 said:

Wolfenstein 3D ^_^

i prefer doom : )

Tarnsman said:

After playing the entirety of Maximum Doom I would recommend it as nearly every wad is full of mazes for you to enjoy.

they should put all the maze maps together and build a wad for it, it would be good

is this wad with non vanilla stuff?, i don't like wad that are too modded i forget to say this in the OP

Never_Again said:

Memphis: try to FDA E1M4 of KILL.WAD. It's not a big map but getting 100% kills may take you a while. ;)

Amph: Cleimos 2 is a classic megawad that's at least 50% mazes, which ties directly into the WAD's story rather than being simply a gimmick or lack of imagination on the authors' part.

never heard of this, i'll check it tnx

Protox said:

Whitout looking muck i find one in Plutonia Slot 11 take a try there.

yeah but i've already played that, i was searching for something less known

The Twilight Zone 2: Final Dreams. MAP31: Morass.

Biggest Maze ever!

Memfis said:

I won't be satisfied until I see a map consisting of nothing other than 64-wide corridors. And at least 20 minutes to complete.

I thought of that greenbrick submission for PRCP immediatelly, although there are some disappointingly large rectangular rooms with hitscanner galleries every now and then.

cleimos seems good enough for me, but i can't find a recent dl for the wad

You should download it directly from the DSDA page I linked to in my previous post. The version on /idgames is split between two ZIPs (a and b); the ZIP on DSDA has the WAD already assembled into one file and ready to play.

Tarnsman said:

When I stumbled onto the Twitch page with your playthroughs of it I just gasped in disbelief. Not only you plowed through the smaller D1 section (a remarkably poor selection, BTW, compared to just about any shovelware collection out there, including the D!Zone and the Doom Accessory Pack series), you actually played (well, tried to play is more like it) through all of the D2 one too, apparently blissfully unaware that most of the levels have been butchered by mindless automatic conversion from the D1 originals.

What a gross misapplication of time and effort! Hell, you could have done better by playing through a dozen of OBLIGE megawads.

^
I had fun with it, using IDDT and automap only, and my first attempt exit time was 5:01. I liked drawing mazes in my childhood - admittedly, solving them less so.

that discussion in this post mkes me remenber of my school days, i remenber on my free time i used to make mazes in my book's final pages, if you like i can try to draw then in doom builder and do they a fell of plutonia 1 map11, the all then use near the whole page of my book.

Note: Sorry my bad inglish and the book is not whit me (in my home), is on my mother's house, whit some time maybe today i'll be there and i'll take it and draw then back to builder.

scifista42 said:

^
I had fun with it, using IDDT and automap only, and my first attempt exit time was 5:01. I liked drawing mazes in my childhood - admittedly, solving them less so.

if you still have your "drawed" maps on a paper and want to show me i'll be fun to get my free time to convert then to doom

Never_Again said:

You should download it directly from the DSDA page I linked to in my previous post. The version on /idgames is split between two ZIPs (a and b); the ZIP on DSDA has the WAD already assembled into one file and ready to play.

When I stumbled onto the Twitch page with your playthroughs of it I just gasped in disbelief. Not only you plowed through the smaller D1 section (a remarkably poor selection, BTW, compared to just about any shovelware collection out there, including the D!Zone and the Doom Accessory Pack series), you actually played (well, tried to play is more like it) through all of the D2 one too, apparently blissfully unaware that most of the levels have been butchered by mindless automatic conversion from the D1 originals.

What a gross misapplication of time and effort! Hell, you could have done better by playing through a dozen of OBLIGE megawads.

If you're searching the lines for a point, you probably missed it.

scifista42 said:

Of course that random map generators exist:
SLIGE
OBLIGE (new versions are still being worked on and released every now and then)
They were used to generate thousands of bad megawads. (see this site for example)

Slige is still legit. I used it to make D&D maps back in the day. It still makes for some cool dungeon crawling designs.

Never_Again said:

apparently blissfully unaware that most of the levels have been butchered by mindless automatic conversion from the D1 originals.

No I was fully aware of that fact after the first 10 or so converted maps. In fact I often pointed out that the converted maps had some of the only interesting gameplay as the "let's randomly replace 1 demon with an archvile" conversion method created some interesting scenarios.

For anyone interested, I had a program years ago that creates a rectangular maze of any size. I had a monstrous one as my computer wallpaper for awhile. Any maze created would make a valid, if tedious, Doom level. It's kind of like the Oblige of mazes. The program still works on 64-bit Windows. I just found the site again.

http://peter.sorotokin.com

The GUI Maze Builder for Windows link is the original program.

It looks like he's added an online Maze Machine which can create mazes with bridges and also polar (circular) mazes which can be right-clicked and saved as pdf files. That might make an interesting section of a Doom map.

I suppose an enterprising programmer could find a way to use the output from here as the input to Oblige and create a megawad of mazes in minutes.

Edit: I finally remembered: the movie "Labyrinth". That's what the round maze reminds me of. I guess it could be a whole map by itself.

i had a quick look on youtube for cleimos, but i did not like it too much, too few enemies, while i don't want a slaughterfest maze(it would be cool actually if they surround you, or something), i don't like to deal with so few enemies either, it looks boring...

I know this isn't exactly what you asked for, but if you want something like a "complex labyrinth", maybe you could try Hexen.

We post maze generators nao?

http://atariarchives.org/basicgames/showpage.php?page=3
^ GWBASIC (in DOS), or MBASIC (CP/M) should be able to run this. Probably lots of other interpreters also...

Adapting to Doom is the only challenging part. Easiest way might be to generate a text file with vertex/linedef/sector info that can be read by the programs in xwadtools.