Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pablogener

No man's sky really big map

I was reading about this game named "No man's sky" and it's (alledgedly) endless game space, and thought of shareing it with you all.

http://killscreendaily.com/articles/no-mans-sky-and-technology-created-18-quintillion-planets/

"When this (setting up 'hats, tops and trousers' for a given 'paper doll', in a procedural-programming way) is repeated over fourteen hundred lines, the approximate size of No Man’s Sky’s source code, the environments become both sophisticated and serendipitous. “In the best systems, players are regularly delighted by unexpected and never-before-seen situations,” Cook said. In No Man’s Sky, this is not only true for the players but for the designers as well. In a recent New Yorker feature on the game, Duncan revealed how he constantly gets distracted from working on it because he is exploring parts of the world he has never seen. To aid his cause in painting the galaxy, he has enlisted in-game drones to photograph far-flung planets, since there’s no way he can inspect each one by hand."

did any of you know of this game?

what are your thoughts on creating an algorithm that generates a game so big that is just ridiculously 'too' big and it won't ever get played to full extent? you could spend 10 lives staright 'exploring' this game and wouldn't get close to seeing half of the game space. If we come to think of 'big games', is it really so important for games to be 'big enough' or rather have a really fulfilling experience in any given game space size?

cheers.

I've followed the game a while. Is that the one where everything keeps being generated the further someone explores so there's no way to see it all because its constantly being made and going further out? Then your job is to start at the outermost reaches and work your way in whichever direction hoping to find the center? Well not really finding the center, because you'll never find it when you're that far out.

I hate to say it, but an algorithm to make planets isn't the tough part. Their algorithm sounds like just random.

Its still a breathtaking game that looks like a fresh take on what has almost become normal with so many generated worlds.

The thing that I think about with this is while all the planets are different, how different will they look and feel? The screenshots look similar, just with different color pallets and hues. What I see looks amazing, but it all looks like the same biome.

Again, I love the thought of the game, but hearing about its randomness and wandering aimlessly doesn't inspire me anymore.

It could be game of the year any year its put out.

See this other review to find out a little more about the inspirational drive of the founder of the project:

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/529136/no-mans-sky-a-vast-game-crafted-by-algorithms/

The game also bears the weight of unrivaled expectation. At the E3 video game conference in Los Angeles in June, no other game met with such applause. It is the game of many childhood science fiction dreams. For Murray, that is truer than for most. He was born in Ireland, but the family lived on a farm in the Australian outback, away from civilization. “At night you could see the vastness of space,” he says. “Meanwhile, we were responsible for our own electricity and survival. We were completely cut off. It had an impact on me that I carry through life.
(...<commentary on the guy's first game development projects, totally unrelated to the idea behind this game>...)
Murray decided it was time to embark upon the game he’d imagined as a child, a game about frontiership and existence on the edge of the unexplored. “We talked about the feeling of landing on a planet and effectively being the first person to discover it, not knowing what was out there,” he says. “In this era in which footage of every game is recorded and uploaded to YouTube, we wanted a game where, even if you watched every video, it still wouldn’t be spoiled for you.””

quite impressive how artistic drive is starting to come from under the skin of people in the form of computer algorithms...
makes you wonder what kind of world are we living on.

As someone who has poured way too many hours into Elite: Dangerous, all I can think about is "hmmmm". The "hmm" being how is each planet different and what gameplay is actually given in the game. Are we going to get something grindy like E:D's stuck with or a rigid structure that Star Citizen is after.

Huh, after seeing E3 last year, this was a game I wanted to follow, but forgot about it until now. It sems odd, and it's a bit silly that's it somewhat random, but it could be very interesting nonetheless, and I really like the visual style. The game will be test enough to its strengths and weaknesses when it comes out.

BlackFish said:

As someone who has poured way too many hours into Elite: Dangerous, all I can think about is "hmmmm". The "hmm" being how is each planet different and what gameplay is actually given in the game. Are we going to get something grindy like E:D's stuck with or a rigid structure that Star Citizen is after.

you know what, I find the guys commentary on how something of his personal experience in life stuck with him and ended up surfaceing as inspiration for this videogame. I understand you (and other replies) are trying to point out that this game is quite simplistic at achieveing what it aims for. What I mean is that I find this game to be a kind of "Cave of Hands (Cueva de las Manos)" artistic happening for wich future development proportions we can't just come to realize or comprehend right now.

PS: If I 'sound' inconsistent, bare with me, english is not my mother language.

geo said:

The thing that I think about with this is while all the planets are different, how different will they look and feel? The screenshots look similar, just with different color pallets and hues. What I see looks amazing, but it all looks like the same biome.

I'm hoping that they're being smart and only showing the one / similar planet biome style(s) and that we won't see any others until the game ships.

I've seen desert areas and glacier areas. One of the glacier areas had a half burred space ship. Who knows if those areas are part of the planet or the entire planet. It could be both depending on the case.

I've seen concept art that makes each area feel different other than biomes.

There's space combat at least to destroy asteroids, but I'm not sure if there's ground combat. if all there is to do is walk around like a really big version of Proteus.

Hmm, when I see stuff like this, I always think the same thing: Are they going to make exploring all this randomly-generated stuff interesting? I tend to have the same trouble when it comes to games featuring procedural generation: sure, there may be a large volume of playable space, but you do the exact same stuff regardless of space.

Xaser said:

(...)there may be a large volume of playable space, but you do the exact same stuff regardless of space.

this was one of my first questions. what are you more drawn to? 'limitless game world' or constrained space with something really fun to do? or any combination in between?

So what lies at the galaxy's center, the Amulet of Yendor? :p

I wonder how the game will handle difficulty settings. Pretty hard to balance a game as open-ended as this. It sounds genuinely impressive.. I kinda hope the game would come with its own map editor or at least a way to create new seeds and *know* that you could create a bunch of worlds with an xyz characteristic, and be able to dictate the personalities of AI players.

TheCupboard said:

I wonder how the game will handle difficulty settings. Pretty hard to balance a game as open-ended as this. It sounds genuinely impressive.. I kinda hope the game would come with its own map editor or at least a way to create new seeds and *know* that you could create a bunch of worlds with an xyz characteristic, and be able to dictate the personalities of AI players.

That's the beauty of open world games, you don't have to balance them so much as "don't go back." Unless its setup the further you go the more HP everything has no matter where you start. or its pure exploration with no combat or difficulty.

If the object is truly to get to the center of a never ending universe from the outer rim... what point is there to land and explore? Unless you find keys to gates that let you jump further to the center as a fast travel. Catch is you'd need to find them.

Unless you need fuel, health and parts so you land.

TheCupboard said:

The Teluma of Rodney (it sounds more space opera like).

Also, I didn't RTFA, but it sounds like some kind of Elite/SunDog mix.

Then this galaxy gameplay trailer appeared and just made me want it more. Also it is confirmed for PC now... guess that was questionable before.

Here's a compilation of their various trailers. There are indeed a range of biomes on display. They even do underwater. I could see a lot of places looking similar if they're going for a galaxy with millions of planets, though. Maybe there's a math trick to ensuring the ones any given player sees will have some variety.

I'm highly skeptical of this game. All we've seen of it is that it's allegedly the most advanced random generation engine ever made. I'd have to wonder exactly how much game play you could get out of it, however. After exploring a dozen or so worlds, it would get a bit old after a while after you start to see all the patterns emerge. I remember a much older game which had a randomly generated galaxy full of stars and planets. But after visiting a few star systems, it got old. It had much simpler graphics, but still, I'd doubt the fun would last much longer in No Man's Sky.

i just hope there's some kind of co-op you can play with a dedicated group, like maybe a number of friends exploring a galaxy together, and having fun exploring. Who knows, maybe the devs have a variety of secrets and mysteries that they haven't revealed yet.

Danarchy said:

I'm highly skeptical of this game. All we've seen of it is that it's allegedly the most advanced random generation engine ever made. I'd have to wonder exactly how much game play you could get out of it, however. After exploring a dozen or so worlds, it would get a bit old after a while after you start to see all the patterns emerge. I remember a much older game which had a randomly generated galaxy full of stars and planets. But after visiting a few star systems, it got old. It had much simpler graphics, but still, I'd doubt the fun would last much longer in No Man's Sky.

Sounds like you played Elite. You know of Elite Dangerous right?

NMS might run into the same problems as ED with the procedural generation. We've yet to see what actual gameplay this game offers other than claims about what it has. Yes you can land on planets, but what purpose does the player have there other to explore?

This game seems extremely similar to the (supposedly) upcoming game Infinity. The biggest difference is that it's almost certain No Man's Sky will actually be released. Infinity did procedural universe creation years ago - check out this video from seven years ago (it looks nicer in it's current state). For whatever reason they can't seem to get their act together to get a Kickstarter or something out there and I think they're doomed even if it eventually does come out because games like No Man's Sky will have beaten them to the punch.

david_a said:

This game seems extremely similar to the (supposedly) upcoming game Infinity. The biggest difference is that it's almost certain No Man's Sky will actually be released. Infinity did procedural universe creation years ago - check out this video from seven years ago (it looks nicer in it's current state). For whatever reason they can't seem to get their act together to get a Kickstarter or something out there and I think they're doomed even if it eventually does come out because games like No Man's Sky will have beaten them to the punch.

Looks like they did have a Kickstarter in 2012. Kickstarter doesn't just make things happen. Work is hard. There's a Steam game I'm stalking, had a successful Kickstarter 2 years ago, had an awful Early Access release on Steam and now they've been on Steam 6 months, accumulated all the bad reviews they could before they hired a programmer to make the game.

BlackFish said:

Sounds like you played Elite. You know of Elite Dangerous right?

Nah, it wasn't Elite. It was a freeware game that was more of an interesting project than anything. You could visit planets and name them and the game collected that information so that other people could run across your planets.

Danarchy said:

Nah, it wasn't Elite. It was a freeware game that was more of an interesting project than anything. You could visit planets and name them and the game collected that information so that other people could run across your planets.

Pretty sure you're thinking of Noctis. It was more of an open exploration game and rather atmospheric for the time imo.