Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

freedoom 64? teh_bucket's octaminator model

hey guys wanted to let you know that teh_bucket from oga has kindly made a model based on the octaminator!

you can check it out here

http://opengameart.org/content/octaminator

this is an untoched render, as you can see it looks very doom 64 like

becuase the model is rigged it will help me complete the octaminator much faster, so stay tuned (the renders that i will use for the new sprites will be the correct size, and will be edited to match the pallete and style of freedoom)

Render environment needs a minimum ambient light level, contrast too high, suffering from shading mostly falling to black too quickly. There really shouldn't be any black, even objects meant to look black. Very dark colors as shading at most, and only if the base color being depicted is dark.

Also, the model skin could be adjusted in brightness, especially the grayscale range, in order to better resemble the original sprite (which had better brightness levels, IMO).

the model will only be used to get the poses (tentacles are tricky business), the sprites will look like my previous ones

here is a test sprite i hastely put together to clarify doubts about how the finalized sprites will look like

source

final

this is only a quick example and will not be used, but as you can see the new sprites will keep the handmade style of the previous ones

seeing how the posing wont be a problem with this monster anymore, what is the maximum number of frames i can give the walk cycle?

It will be cool to see that guy slithering around, and how his shoulder cannon looks from the sides/behind. really superb :D

If he's gonna replace the Revenant, then he needs 6 walking frames. And since he's asymmetric, all 6 frames need to be done and each must have full 8 rotations.

raymoohawk said:

i was hoping it can have six frames, but i was under the impression there can only be 3 or 4

It's because of his asymmetry. If 3 frames were done and we let the game complete the rest, the gun would keep changing the shoulder it's standing on.

i dont mind doing six frames, but now i have anothe doubt, can i give every monster six walking frames? if possible id like to make the walks as smooth as can be

In vanilla, no. For compability sake, monsters that had 4 frames in Doom need to have 4 frames in Freedoom, and the ones that had 6 need to have 6.
You could still make some extra walking frames if you want though. Then we could have a freedoom equivalent of Smooth Doom

i sure would love to see a smooth freedoom, im gonna have to ask gifty for tips on how to get those done

i talked to fraggle and he says the monsters must strictly have the same number of animation frames as their doom counterparts. so the new frames of the octaminator will have two cannons much like the original revenant. the hell noble replacements should be unafected, since it has been confirmed we can add or omit rotations (like the techpillar does for example)

im not actually doing freedoom 64, i just called the thread that because the raw renders reminded me doom 64 sprites.

that said if a fd64 where to happen adding the missing enemies would probably be a good idea

Quick question. I know freedoom 64 is hypothetical, but if it was really made, what engines will it support? Doom 64 EX? Maybe a rom hack of Doom 64 (which would be pointless in some ways, seeing that the Doom 64 source isn't released, not to mention that such a hack could never legally be sold)? Perhaps a heavily modified version of 64doom or the jaguar doom source code with the doom 64 stuff coming from either doom 64 ex or a fresh clean-room reverse engineering setup?

if i where the one taking the desicions i would make it so that it was distributed along with kaiser's doom 64 ex engine as its default game, but that will never happen