Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cell

Favorite places within IWAD maps

DISCLAIMER! This isn't the ten trillionth "favorite levels" thread, since this doesn't focus on entire maps, and generally classifies by the aspect of only aesthetism/autentism, and no gameplay at all. So, the "question" is already "asked" in the title, and I'll get down to telling my own ones.

1. That SHAWN* "cellar" in E3M3 where the blue skull is located. OHMYGOD I just dig it.
2. Basically the entire northern section of E2M2 (or at least, northwestern), and the window overlook to raising the final bridge. With all these windows to interconnect adjacent rooms, it's sooo adorable. Oh, and don't forget about that long slime tunnel.
3. Basically the entire southwestern corner of E2M7. The blue key location, along with all the weird stuff coming after entering the tech maze is simply fascinating IMHO. Extra credit for the location of the switch which lowers the red key bar.
4. Basically each and every location in E1 that houses a yellow key.
5. That wooden room with 3 switches in MAP29. I just love the mechanism how that lift is directly raised in order to put it into work.

So, I'm now interested in yours.

Much of E2M5. The starting room with the balcony overlooking it and the zombie boxes along the stairways, the big courtyard after that, the circular stairway with the little room in the middle, and the three-pronged nuke pool with the plasma rifle that most people don't even know is there.

Also much of E2M2. The machine room, the crusher alley, the marble hallway, and the whole berserk-punching imps in the crate maze thing is just always fun.

The passage between the gray door and the boss area's lift switch in E1M8 is definitely my favorite spot. The long passage builds suspense, which is then strengthened by the weird red walls of the lift. Maybe these details have stuck to my mind as I was a 6-year-old kid when I saw E1M8 being played from the beginning to the end. That was quite an experience.

Doom 1:

E1M6 - The start area including the outdoor, red key + blue key areas, the computer room, the outdoor in front of blue door, and the entire area behind yellow doors.
E1M9 - The central courtyard + the peripheral rooms including the red star, yellow-locked and red-locked rooms.
E2M4 - The early room with circular nukage channel all around it + the COMPBLUE/COMPSPAN corridors with high ceiling.
E3M6 - Outdoors.

Doom 2:

MAP02 - The start area + the circular water channel.
MAP03 - The central water-flooded area.
MAP11 - The whole area visible from the central circle.
MAP14 - The 2nd castle, the one where you must jump out of a window onto a ledge.
MAP24 - The thin ledges. Yes.
MAP26 - The L-shaped ledge with imps and red key + the curving ledge up to blue door.
MAP27 - The room full of corpses and hanging bodies.
MAP28 - The hellish rocky area with imps and an archvile.

TNT:

MAP05 - The early control room where you press a switch to shut windows.
MAP15 - The building.
MAP19 - The big crate storage near the exit.

Plutonia:

MAP11 - Only the very start, that's all.

The first that come in my mind are:

Doom 1

E1M7: the outdoor area
E2M4: the room with the computer crusher
E2M7: the area locked by the YK

Doom 2

M10: the rocket launcher room

gaspe said:

Doom 2

M10: the rocket launcher room

I confess, I had to warp to Doom 2 MAP10 and run around it (without monsters) to find the room you were talking about, because I couldn't remember which room was the rocket launcher one.

E2M4, the whole overgrown circular area near the end, where you build the stairways in the middle, and the green marble corridor around it. Also the blue COMP area after the nukage and before the red room.

For some reason, that place is the first that always comes to mind whenever I try to think of something like that, or just remember Doom in general. Sure, there's the vague idea of the whole episode1 and it's atmosphere, the outdoor areas of E3M2 which due to certain circumstances have left quite an impression on me, but that part of E2M4 is like the signature atmospheric Doom area for me.

From Doom 2, I kinda enjoy the big crusher room in map06, just because it's so enormously cavernous and all made of metal. And of course one of my favorite areas in Doom 2 is the Spirit World's cavern, the one with the red cracks through which you go into the red hot room (which is also cool).

For anything else, I'd have to concentrate, think of all the maps and such, but those places jump out on their own.

The huge walkway that raises out of the nukage in E1M5 has always been a defining moment for me. For some reason the drop into the dark blue key are in MAP02 was a spot I really liked when I first played Doom and the start of E4M1 seemed like a cool theme.

^
It's not bad for an IWAD. Still relatively simplistic, with mostly flat floor and ceiling, and crude-shaped box room around. There is no reason to hang around there, or revisit the area. It's located far in the map, you see it, and go. That's probably why it doesn't stick in my mind.

That high-tech zone in Spawning Vats, and especially the computer you climb down into to release the red key.

I was always disappointed that in E1 you couldn't get up in those recessed computer panels, like that one with the green armor in E1M2.

The start of E2M8 is a beautiful piece of foreboding of the upcoming boss encounter.

The beginning of E4M6, outdoors among the rocks, may seem like a nice retreat after the nightmarish dungeons from previous levels. But you find out soon enough that you have to descend again into the abyss, even worse than before. I love this contrast.

The ending of E4M8. It really looks like a throne room, and is heavily guarded!

The large yard behind the red door in E4M7, and the red key hall. They both look really ominous, with cacodemon/sergeant/teleportation attacks from all sides.

I love the courtyard of E3M5 and the roof passages of E3M3. The E2M9 cacodemon room looks strange and creepy once it's quiet enough for you to be able to look at it.

scifista42 said:

I confess, I had to warp to Doom 2 MAP10 and run around it (without monsters) to find the room you were talking about, because I couldn't remember which room was the rocket launcher one.

Actually it's nothing special, but somehow it impressed me.
Another one: E3M4, the views on the marble pillars with the hanging bodies and the blood floor.

3 bits of PLUTONIA:

MAP15 - when the spider mastermind gets released
MAP20 - starting area
and this.

Superluigieth1 said:

TNT MAP31 - How the fuck would you not like the pyramid?

These horrible textures ruin the entire level for me. They're way too bright, and a completely different quality and style than the normal ones. Also those lamps on their sides in pic3 are out of place.

And from the outside the pyramid is way too short.

I like obscure areas. Particularly the Baron cage -and GRAYBIG rooms in E2M5 and the stone circles in MAP06.

Speaking of Dark Citadel from Doom 64, I rather like the yellow key area with the fire and the lighting in the area with the starry night sky, very eerie setting.