Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
j4rio

Scythe2 UV-Speed SS in 87:30

Hello! Turns out I'm still alive. Here's one demo I've been working on for the past month, coincidentally of my favorite wad of all time, and today I got finally lucky enough to pull it off. Hopefully it makes up for a worthy birthday gift.

That's all! Seeya.

s2-8730.zip

Nice accomplishment! Scythe 2 used to be my favorite as well. I watched four episodes so far (yeah, I'm one of those people that get bored of the wad when they reach the last two eps) and I have two questions:

1) On MAP08 you stopped for a moment after doing the glide. Is that because you went to the menu to change mouse sensitivity just for the glide and then changed it back when you slipped through?
2) Have you ever failed a run due to pressing "use" during the death exit sequence? (lol)

wowzers. the amount of insane shit you've torn through at this point is getting.. insane :D

grats on the run! looking forward to watching it. s2 tops the list for me as well.

Impressive achievement! Now to find enough time to watch it. -_-

Awesome! Also, I had always thought of changing settings mid-run but was never sure if it was allowed or not. Changing graphical settings would make guideless glides a lot easier. Anyway, very cool demo, would like a more filled out text file too!

I would say it's perhaps a bit "unsporting" to change settings mid-run. Personally, I felt bad when I did it in one of my speedruns. I thought it made my demo "dirty", if you know what I mean. I probably won't do anything like that again. Of course I won't call it TAS but I find it kind of uncool. I'm trying to think of a good sports analogy but nothing comes to my mind. In car racing obviously they tune their cars all the time during rallies and stuff...

Well, I wouldn't mind doing it again except there would be additional +- 10 minutes of bashing onto the bars until they allow me through without vert enabled, which I've been using pretty much since I started using prb+ and playing with vert enabled is out of question just for the sake of being able to glide occasionally, that would require a few more years until I become comfortable with it. Therefore, I settled with enabling vert in maps 7 and 23 and disabling them afterwards.

A key to switch between two predefined values of horiz AND vert values would be a godsend if you ask me. Current horiz/no horiz and no vert/1 unit of vert, of course.

It's probably a moral grey area, but since I was probably the first to abuse the sens change ingame, I'm hardly in a position to judge, heh. Personally I don't mind it if it's admitted/reported openly. I always pause recording by just pressing ESC in pr+, so navigating a menu to dynamically control something specifically permitted even by C-N rules is not really a big heretical step into the cheatlands. I mean, you could only load up novert or mouse spinners statically, but you could say that was a shortcoming of the utilities themselves.

I have to say I don't really do the switching though. I feel like a total idiot navigating the menus, it brings me out of focus and my novert gliding is decent enough to just bear with it.

Memfis said:

I would say it's perhaps a bit "unsporting" to change settings mid-run.

Interesting. That's not how I see it at all. I think it is a very cool thing to do and shows that the player masters the game's features and uses them to the maximum effect. It is very rare that changing any settings is beneficial in any speedrun of any game. It requires both planning and skill to make it work. Using a trick like this only shows that the player is more or less a genius.

Aqfaq said:

Interesting. That's not how I see it at all. I think it is a very cool thing to do and shows that the player masters the game's features and uses them to the maximum effect. It is very rare that changing any settings is beneficial in any speedrun of any game. It requires both planning and skill to make it work. Using a trick like this only shows that the player is more or less a genius.

GOSH! first time I think different from Memfis speedrun-wise! a new era has begun =D

ps: gonna watch the demo now, but im already sure it will be worth the time eheh ;)

dew said:

A key to switch between two predefined values of horiz AND vert values would be a godsend if you ask me. Current horiz/no horiz and no vert/1 unit of vert, of course.

I've dreamed of this for so long. I'm kind of on the fence in terms of the "ethics" of such a button, but it would be too useful not to use. I would be ok with this in the same sense that I'm ok with advanced hud respawn runs, since it is likely to make more, better runs appear, without removing any of the skill that matters to me. Anyway, awesome run as always j4rio :U

kraflab said:

I've dreamed of this for so long. I'm kind of on the fence in terms of the "ethics" of such a button, but it would be too useful not to use. I would be ok with this in the same sense that I'm ok with advanced hud respawn runs, since it is likely to make more, better runs appear, without removing any of the skill that matters to me. Anyway, awesome run as always j4rio :U

I put in a ticket on the PrBoom+ sourceforge page a while back asking for the feature. Maybe we'll be lucky to get it in .1.5 B)
I turned vertmouse on for the void switch in d2twid map24 but forgot to mention it in my .txt cos i'm a spastic

Anyway nice work getting this singlesegment you freak, I'm gonna watch this straight after work. Pretty antsy to load this demo up!
Edit: your sensitivity is absolutely insane. Can't believe you survived that AV combo on map30 btw. Nice run!

eLim said:

Edit: your sensitivity is absolutely insane. Can't believe you survived that AV combo on map30 btw. Nice run!

yeah, i said his demos look like TAS. i mean, going through all of scythe2 in one piece (kinda) IS inhuman. have to watch this.

DWmegawad club says your only supposed to play up to MAP02, dude :P

neat. a fun read after watching :D

Your movement through the early maps was absurd btw, that high sensitivity + solid execution, the first few moments of map04 for example had me thinking "am I watching a tas right now?"

thx for the text. by looking at the demo progress bar, i found it funny how the last 6 or 7 maps took almost 3 times as long as the whole rest.

I had a friend who played this years ago and was surprised by somebody doing this.. and getting somebody who isn't really into Doom a lot to setup a sourceport and watch an .lmp is like pulling teeth so I tried to find a youtube video on it but there does not seem to be one sooo....

Rectified:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD0SdGto14U

Dude nice, great timing with the BFG on that teleporter which sends out those evil marines on MAP24.
I almost started thinking you were playing too carefully on the later maps, but proved me wrong on many occasions.