Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spinesplitter

Can someone tell me what this issue is with this tetxture?

Hello everyone, I recently added a bunch of new textures into a map through Slade 3, but for some reason they aren't displaying correctly. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the reason this texture issue is happening. When I add this texture in and view it in Doombuilder 3d view mode, it looks fine, but then when I actually test the WAD it looks like this. I was just wondering if someone could tell me what the problem is. Thanks guys :)!

Link to a screenshot below, texture is actually supposed to be a brown brick wall.

That looks like you're trying to display a flat as a texture, flats and textures are stored in a different way so you need to make sure you are converting to the correct one

What port are you using? And what format does Slade say your texture is in?

jmickle66666666 said:

That looks like you're trying to display a flat as a texture, flats and textures are stored in a different way so you need to make sure you are converting to the correct one

Very true, however I can say without a doubt that this is not a flat. Also, I am new to Slade 3, I came from the old days of using XWE and SLumped but I had to move with the times. So I am not versed on how to import textures to WADs though this program. Here's what I did.

.Opened WAD I wanted to add textures to.
.Then opened texture WAD I wanted to extract from.
.I then highlighted all graphic files in the texture WAD clicking "Copy" afterwards.
.I then went to the WAD I wanted to add the textures to, and pressed "Paste".
.after pasting the graphic files in, I then highlighted them again and selected "Add to TEXTURE1".

Did I do something wrong? I have no idea what I'm doing in this program and I've been editing for over 10 years haha.

Gez said:

What port are you using? And what format does Slade say your texture is in?

GZDoom, and Slade says they are "Graphics" files.

jmickle66666666 said:

the only other thing i can suggest is to make sure they are between P_START and P_END lumps.

Pretty sure those don't actually do anything. :/ Just make sure it's in the right format and section off the flats with FF_START and F_END.

Yeah, the P_ markers are mostly there to make things look tidy; they're ignored by the game.

From what Spinesplitter says everything should work, so I have no real idea.

jmickle66666666 said:

the only other thing i can suggest is to make sure they are between P_START and P_END lumps.

Well, tried putting markers in proper position in graphics list to separate flats and textures. Didn't work. I mean it's not a huge deal since the map is already done, I was just adding some last minute detail. But I would just like to know whats wrong so I can learn how to avoid this problem in the future.

If all else fails you could always post the wad itself here so we can see for ourselves.

Does the patch/texture have a same name as some flat? Try renaming the patch. You will have to update its name inside PNAMES then. By double clicking TEXTURE1 or PNAMES, you get to edit them. While you're at it, double make sure that the problematique texture (within TEXTURE1) is not using a flat graphic as its patch.

The vertical bars looks like palette data, which I usually associate with patches being used as flats in ports which don't support that feature.

Spinesplitter said:

Very true, however I can say without a doubt that this is not a flat. Also, I am new to Slade 3, I came from the old days of using XWE and SLumped but I had to move with the times.

Hey, I've been using XWE on the same wad for years and never corrupted it. I use it for side projects too. I still use XWE. I will die with my XWE.

Try if this helps, too: rebuild the PNAMES and TEXTURE lump. There might be a slight chance that something got messed up, and so the texture really is set up properly, but another one is not, and maybe the positions got switched so that the messed up texture is being shown when you actually thought you were using the "real" one (sorry if that was a bit confusing). Also, who knows, try making the texture a power of 2. (So like, 64x128, or 32x64, etc). Probably not the problem, but some weird stuff can happen. I'm guessing you tried both of these already though since they are the first thing anyone probably does when they have texture issues.