Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

Zenimax's Fallout 4 vs. DOOM reveals - Kinda strange?

It struck me as a little odd that while Zenimax revealed Fallout 4 almost instantly right alongside the dates for Computex... they are being far more secretive about DOOM over the past year, and even more so at letting the public see much at all until E3 next week.

From the time we knew that Fallout 4 existed to the time we had a glimpse at a trailer showing off the engine and gameplay, that was 24 hours apart.

DOOM kept getting small teases, closed door reveals, and now a huge reveal at a equally mammoth E3 expo almost a full year later. Could this mean that Zenimax considers DOOM to be the bigger hit, or may be expecting it to be more successful? Or is it that they are just trying to be more cautious, build a bigger hype train to make a once skeptical crowd more assured after it's long development hell and internal issues?

just a thought.

Who knows. That's a pretty interesting observation though. I don't know how DOOM would be bigger than Fallout, unless its going to be the most mind blowing thing that the gaming world has ever seen since, well, DOOM.

The Fallout 4 reveal was basically: "Hey, did you like Fallout 3 / New Vegas? Well, here's more of the same!"

Doom 4, on the other hand, is presumably going to look like something new.

Linguica said:

The Fallout 4 reveal was basically: "Hey, did you like Fallout 3 / New Vegas? Well, here's more of the same!"

Doom 4, on the other hand, is presumably going to look like something new.

I'm going to be 110% honest when I say the moment I saw the Fallout 4 trailer, I couldn't help to think it looked nothing more than a "HD remake" (if even that) of Fallout 3... it was, eh, not much of a leap from the prior graphics engine for all the years of difference between the two.

And I really hate Boston. So that's already a ding against it.

Doom needs to prove itself in 2015 era and Fallout doesn't that's why all the mystery around Doom.

I've said the similiar thing in another thread. They've made a proper reveal for F4 (along with a trailer, pre-orders and an official site) within an extremely short time and they're dragging and stretching the whole DOOM4 thing for ages.

You know why? Because they don't give a shit about DOOM. Everybody knows F4 will be an insanely massive success whereas DOOM4 will probably end up being criticized for everything. They're constantly using it to promote other things (TNO, QC) with no consideration for the fact that this just makes the whole unveiling sloppy and unnecessarily drawn-out. If they cared for the franchise, they'd do what they did for F4.

Id Software is part of Zenimax just like Bethesda is, but I don't think Zenimax has any say in how each company handle their PR. Or maybe they just let them handle PR how they want, internally.

Id Software has never been great with PR. For me they are famously bad. Bethesda and other Zenimax companies are far better IMO.

And I don't think Zenimax doesn't give a shit about DOOM. If they did they would have closed it down years ago. They just let Id Software handle its PR. Which IMO is a mistake.

No, Bethesda Softworks (publisher) handles PR for everything related to Zenimax games. There's no (big) publisher in the world that would let the developer do the PR themselves. Besides, I honestly doubt that id would go like: "Hey, you know what would be cool? If we prematurely reveal DOOM4 by announcing a non existing beta to promote a game (TNO) we don't even work on! A year and a half before showing it to the public!"

I'm just guessing as much as you. Seeing how differently they play out their PR.

They made a big deal about how Id Software was the same and nothing had changed, after their merge with Zenimax.

Why do I get the feeling that they gave into all the fans whining about Fallout 4 and decided to reveal it earlier?

Interesting observation. The Fallout games have been pretty relevant the last few years though, whereas no official Doom game has been released in a decade. Not only that, but there's a lot of younger folks who haven't even played Doom. So it kind of makes sense that they're teasing the shit out of us with stunts like a three second trailer.

There are rumours that F4 will actually launch this year. I personally think this is unlikely... but I swear, if this game comes out in 2015 after such a lightning fast reveal but DOOM4 does not after all that prolonged bullshit, I'll go freaking ballistic.

I was thinking about this too. I think it's because people already have a lot of trust in Bethesda to make a great game, since they've been putting out classic games in the recent past. id Software on the other hand has put out one solid game in the last 10 years (since Doom 3).

Therefore, I think the slowly building hype for Doom 4 is a strategy to build up the game's importance. Especially if they leave Doom 4 to the end of their E3 conference, that means they want people to know this shit is going to be big. After all, Bethesda did say they expect Doom 4 to be as relevant as Skyrim (which sold 20 million copies).

BlackFish said:

But the dog!

I can only hope for a "dog armor" day one DLC. (That makes it look exactly like the Call of Duty Ghost dog.)

ChickenOrBeef said:

I was thinking about this too. I think it's because people already have a lot of trust in Bethesda to make a great game, since they've been putting out classic games in the recent past. id Software on the other hand has put out one solid game in the last 10 years (since Doom 3).

Therefore, I think the slowly building hype for Doom 4 is a strategy to build up the game's importance. Especially if they leave Doom 4 to the end of their E3 conference, that means they want people to know this shit is going to be big. After all, Bethesda did say they expect Doom 4 to be as relevant as Skyrim (which sold 20 million copies).

There is no shooter that can sell more than CoD. Destiny was a huge success(this is basically what Rage should have been in order to be successful - a multiplayer RPG-FPS) and even if Bungie released Destiny for PC, it wouldn't get CoD level sales.

Don't forget that more Halo 5 will be shown at this E3, so Doom must prepare itself in order to stand out againt H5.

NoirSuede said:

You know what else is odd ? The fact that Fallout 4 is already available for pre-order.

Doom has been in development hell for almost decade. Most of this time was spent trying to figure out how to portray it in the current AAA gaming environment, after several failed projects they seem to be confident that this version has the right flavor. But don't deceive yourself, Doom still is in devlopment hell and won't come out until at least late 2016(if a miracle happens, it can come out earlier). But don't be sad, Doom is not the only game in this situation. The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy XV(aka FF XIII Versus) are also in development hell for a long time.

Kaskaum said:

Doom has been in development hell for almost decade. Most of this time was spent trying to figure out how to portray it in the current AAA gaming environment, after several failed projects they seem to be confident that this version has the right flavor. But don't deceive yourself, Doom still is in devlopment hell and won't come out until at least late 2016(if a miracle happens, it can come out earlier). But don't be sad, Doom is not the only game in this situation. The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy XV(aka FF XIII Versus) are also in development hell for a long time.

I don't give a shit about The Last Guardian, but atleast FF XV has a demo so we know how it's going along, plus Squeenix is the only dev with 2 exhibition slots in E3 (one for themselves and one in the PC Gaming Show) so they're gonna show FF XV.

Kaskaum said:

But don't deceive yourself, Doom still is in devlopment hell and won't come out until at least late 2016

Nope.

NoirSuede said:

I don't give a shit about The Last Guardian, but atleast FF XV has a demo so we know how it's going along, plus Squeenix is the only dev with 2 exhibition slots in E3 (one for themselves and one in the PC Gaming Show) so they're gonna show FF XV.

They already confirmed FFXV wont be at E3.It will have a significant showing at Gamerscom though.

Doom 4 can go the route of Duke Nukem Forever if done wrong.

I'd think they're being cautious.

If they reveal too much it'll be hard to go back on some of the decisions they make. If they show it in closed doors and people say it sucks, they can try to change it.

If you pass through some gaming forums, Fallout 4 is 10 times more commented than Doom. It is a 100% profitable franchise, mainly when open world single player RPG is on its best moment, just see The Witcher 3 selling over 4 mil copies under 2 weeks. Even on movie related forums like Nolanfans has a Fallout 4 thread, but nobody cares about Doom 4 so far on those forums.

http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16511

Casual gamers man.

Game industry is atm at a point where most gamers are ppl who didn't game back in the 90's because it was still back then considered a nerds hobby and because games back then were hard so they weren't fun for ppl who sucked in them. I enjoy nowadays more games from the indies than AAA's. Triple A games mostly just give me now headache due to how terrible they are.

My point was that DOOM is a franchise from a time when gaming weren't still that big and thus the new casuals cannot know/appreciate it because it's completely unfamiliar to them.

Based on some VG forums like Neogaf, 70% of E3 hype is on Halo 5, more Fallout 4 gameplay and the possibility of a new Elder Scrolls.

Yeah, there really isn't much hype for DOOM compared to other upcoming AAA games, but it makes sense. The casual gamer has been exposed to great Fallout games in recent years, whereas DOOM has been dormant for over a decade. Id Software will have to gain the respect of a whole new generation.

After Skyrim(Bethesda), New Vegas(Obsidian), Dishonored(Arkane) and Wolfenstein(Machine Games) I don't mind how new DooM can flop. How will flop game with these level of gore, fast classic like animation and art design from second teaster and multiplayer by QL team?

NoisM said:

After Skyrim(Bethesda), New Vegas(Obsidian), Dishonored(Arkane) and Wolfenstein(Machine Games) I don't mind how new DooM can flop. How will flop game with these level of gore, fast classic like animation and art design from second teaster and multiplayer by QL team?

I'd say that Dishonored/Wolfenstein numbers are safe to expect (2-4 million), but the question is whether Doom can reach Fallout/Elder Scrolls numbers and become somewhat of a phenomenon again (8 million+). It will need strong multiplayer, perhaps the rumored level editor, etc, to stay relevant. It will also need to be a kickass game, simply put.

Yep, Id have a lot on their plate but for some reason I feel really optimistic about the game.