Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

Zenimax's Fallout 4 vs. DOOM reveals - Kinda strange?

It will need strong multiplayer, perhaps the rumored level editor

Excactly! Map editor is most important thing in new Doom it must be simple like Minecraft or something like that. You know, mods is a BLOOD of classic Doom.

I still think Halo 5, an exclusive, will sell more than Doom.

Halo sales vary from 12KK+ with the epicness of Halo 3 to 6KK+ with the spinoff ODST.

The fans of Halo are hyped expecting another Halo 3 in terms of combat and epic story, if 343 delivers a Halo 3 level game with H5 it will be a killer.

Doom vary from 3.8KK+ (Doom 3 - the best seller of the franchise) to 2KK+ (Doom) - Doom 2 is close o D3 sales.

How can a franchise that at most sells 4KK have Halo level sales? They simply need to make a brillant game without almost any flaws.

They deserve a chance. We'll see in about 2 days what kind of game it will be.

On the bright side, Pete Hines expects it to sell like Skyrim did (or something similar). Considering the fact that Id have failed repeadedly it must mean that the current version is damn good and that he has good reason to trust Id. Either way, we'll know for sure very soon. I'm going to buy it no matter what.

DooM_RO said:

They deserve a chance. We'll see in about 2 days what kind of game it will be.

On the bright side, Pete Hines expects it to sell like Skyrim did (or something similar). Considering the fact that Id have failed repeadedly it must mean that the current version is damn good and that he has good reason to trust Id. Either way, we'll know for sure very soon. I'm going to buy it no matter what.

Skyrim is the best of a franchise that also sales more than Doom, it is simply the best game of the series and it will be hard for Bethesda to surpass it in a future ES.

Id is out of shape, after the failure of Rage it is hard to be optimistic. Maybe Carmack was the one that was holding id back with his 90s way of thinking while the AAA gaming environment has changed a lot since 1993, and as a result, Rage was just a shallow game.

I hope Doom reboot can conciliate the meaning of an AAA game nowadays with the feeling of Doom, Carmack would never be able to do so.

Kaskaum said:

Doom vary from 3.8KK+ (Doom 3 - the best seller of the franchise) to 2KK+ (Doom) - Doom 2 is close o D3 sales.

The original Doom may have only sold 2 million copies, but since the shareware was free it was on a ton of computers. Looking at Doom 3's sales (4 million) as the ceiling of the series isn't a good barometer, since the series had a much, much larger player base with the Doom 1 shareware, even though people didn't pay for it.

Kaskaum said:

Skyrim is the best of a franchise that also sales more than Doom, it is simply the best game of the series and it will be hard for Bethesda to surpass it in a future ES.

It'll be really easy to outdo it. Make the combat not dull! Add some depth to the gameplay.

potnop said:

It'll be really easy to outdo it. Make the combat not dull! Add some depth to the gameplay.

In the case, they can use, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3 and Dark Souls as inspiration for the gameplay, they will deliver a Kick Ass Elder Scrolls.

Linguica said:

The Fallout 4 reveal was basically: "Hey, did you like Fallout 3 / New Vegas? Well, here's more of the same!"

Doom 4, on the other hand, is presumably going to look like something new.

That's basically the feeling I get out of it as well.

Doomguy is a face of FPS genre. Everybody knows Doom. Gears Of War gets >5 millions with M rating, blood and e t.c. shit. Games with M rating almost sells better if game will be is awesome, where no problem for Doom franchise at all.

The face of the FPS genre? What is this, 1996? I don't know (in real life) a single person who plays Doom, most people I know have never played it or only played it one or twice, and no one on my Facebook feed mentions Doom with any regularity. It has a special place in the genre, but it doesn't represent it right now.

Average gamers age is about 30 years. That's it. Doom is very old to be mass popular. I can't remember any game created in yearly 90' and still popular as Doom. Can you name few?

I played so much time in classic doom and now I here again - thanks Brutal Doom. That teaser e t.c. Hype of new DooM is high than ever.

GoatLord said:

The face of the FPS genre? What is this, 1996? I don't know (in real life) a single person who plays Doom, most people I know have never played it or only played it one or twice, and no one on my Facebook feed mentions Doom with any regularity. It has a special place in the genre, but it doesn't represent it right now.

Well if Doom 4 sells really well then Doomguy would be eternally hailed as a classic videogame icon like the likes of Mario and Sonic.

GoatLord said:

If you put Doom and a Half-Life 3 together, there will be much more hype for HL3 even without any sign that it will happen.

Hopefully id can turn the situation and add more hype into Doom after this E3.

This pic from neogaf E3 thread show that HL3 is right now much more desired than a Doom, you can see the HL3 logo inside that crystal, bellow Fallout logo:

Kaskaum said:

If you put Doom and a Half-Life 3 together, there will be much more hype for HL3 even without any sign that it will happen.

Hopefully id can turn the situation and add more hype into Doom after this E3.

This pic from neogaf E3 thread show that HL3 is right now much more desired than a Doom, you can see the HL3 logo inside that crystal, bellow Fallout logo:

http://i.imgur.com/m1IWcbu.png

To be honest I have no idea how Fallout 4 can generate so much hype.

And HL3 is much more desired than Doom simply because of everyone getting sick of the "three X means HL3" meme.

NoirSuede said:

To be honest I have no idea how Fallout 4 can generate so much hype.

And HL3 is much more desired than Doom simply because of everyone getting sick of the "three X means HL3" meme.

You can surmise it by looking at the commentary in the first Doom teaser on youtube from last year E3: there are a lot of comments there asking for F4 and complaining because Beth didn't show it instead of Doom for E3 2014.

Also, the first trailer of Doom on Beth channel has 1.3KK views almost a year later while Fallout 4 trailer has 13.6KK views 1 week or so later.

F4 has MUCH more hype than Doom.

Half Life also had an actual plot that didn't reach its conclusion yet and actual characters people would get attached to. Doom just has themes and a mindless drone you pilot, he's as much character as the monsters are, perhaps even less so.

It's the same difference between Touhou and R-type.

NoisM said:

Excactly! Map editor is most important thing in new Doom it must be simple like Minecraft or something like that. You know, mods is a BLOOD of classic Doom.

The only way this could work is if the console versions gets a grid based map editor (like Portal 2's Puzzle Creator/Timesplitter's map maker) while the PC version gets the full toolset (complete map editor + model editor + code editor).

But, i'm afraid if they did this then the resulting backlash would be so big that sales would tank, so i don't think they'll do it.

NoirSuede said:

The only way this could work is if the console versions gets a grid based map editor (like Portal 2's Puzzle Creator/Timesplitter's map maker) while the PC version gets the full toolset (complete map editor + model editor + code editor).

But, i'm afraid if they did this then the resulting backlash would be so big that sales would tank, so i don't think they'll do it.

I hope to see a customizable Armor-traits along with unlockable suit abilities. Those few RPG features helps a lot the longevility of the multiplayer, much more than the said map editor. Most players don't give a sh1t about creating a map. They just want to play a solid multiplayer which offers diversity and goals to achieve in order to improve their character.

Kaskaum said:

I hope to see a customizable Armor-traits along with unlockable suit abilities. Those few RPG features helps a lot the longevility of the multiplayer, much more than the said map editor. Most players don't give a sh1t about creating a map. They just want to play a solid multiplayer which offers diversity and goals to achieve in order to improve their character.

Why not let us customize everything like in Soulcalibur 5 ?

This reminds me of the Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter debate. Or perhaps this controversy has been created intentionally by Bethesda, to spur an interest in both games. Which would not be a bad idea at all. It would actually serve to make both games more memorable.

EDIT:

Its not the first time a video game company has fabricated some controversy to boost sales:

http://gamerant.com/grand-theft-auto-controversy/