Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Duker900

duke3d .maps to doom wads?

Is this possible at all, I know you can convert doom maps to duke nukem but can it be done the other way around?

I would assume with the original Doom engine, no. Zdoom seems extremely similar to the build engine though...

well I mean like just converted back to a doom map, without doors or anything like that just the map structure

i'm pretty sure that's possible. It would take some ugly programming to do, but definately possible, and i doubt the levels would turn out very good.

If anyone's willing to try this, search online for "BUILD source code" or "Ken Silverman" or "KenBUILD". It'll be there SOMEWHERE.

try using a dissasembler or a map convertor if theres a doom to doom 2 level convertor there should probably be a duke to doom convertor out there or something , less if you learn a computer language you can make one but its going to be a tough job.

Well, if you recall, Duke Nukem 3D came with DooM to duke nukem program... the only problem would be the fact that duke nukem had overlapping sectors and stuff... That'd be a real mess.

I have kenBuild and it is possible to convert doom to duke, I attempted a while ago in fact (phobos anomaly) and it worked, only problem is that it is too tempting to put in a exra wall thats slanted, or a movable ramp(can't spell convayour) but it is possible to do!

Vampirajay said:

stuff

Yes, but like I said, not the other way around... Duke nukem has many features that simply couldn't be emulated in doom...

I dont mean to have the features emulated, more just flattenign the whole level and such basically a level with no entities in it

some newer doom wads are having slated walls i hear but i havent played any overlapping sectors in doom levels would be cool tho

LordTrasher said:

If anyone's willing to try this, search online for "BUILD source code" or "Ken Silverman" or "KenBUILD". It'll be there SOMEWHERE.

i had the url, but i forgot it.

I'd used Build for five years when I first tried WadAuthor. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me... still can't, for that matter. What can I say, I'm dumb.

I could never get Wad2Map (converting Doom wads to Build maps) to work either... meh.

the wad2duke converter is on the disk which comes with the duke nukem 3d guide to making levels. I was able to download doom textures and make the .map files (which looks like doom with bad textures) look like doom. There is a TC based on Doom II but the levels aren't anywere near doom.

i've thought about it and am taking growing interest in a .map to .wad converter. the deal is: i understand linedefs and sidedefs and sector refrences, but i loathe making them on any sort of a large scale. the only doom editor i am aware at with a decent sector drawing mode is deep, which i like and have used, but am not prepared to shell out $$ for. i have however tinkered in build a bit, and have always liked its sector drawing functions. so, i'm seriously considering coding a converter that would convert vertices, and the basics of linedefs, sidedefs, and sectors. i would then make architecture in build, convert it over with my program, add texture, add things and linedef types and stuff. so, what do yuo think? would anyone else be interested in this? or does anyone know of a doom editor with decent sector drawing? (i've used deth and deu, and me no likey, i've used deep and while inferior to build, its still pretty good, but that 800 linedef limit gets annoying)

Liam the Bard said:

I would assume with the original Doom engine, no. Zdoom seems extremely similar to the build engine though...

zdoom has added hires texture support, slopes, both items present in build, but is still very much a doom engine game in all respects.

btw, my map -> wad converter is 99% ready to be released, probably will do it tomorrow. doomworld the only forums where you can get on demand program creation :)

So loosely summarised, that'd be a no. If you "squashed" your average Duke3D map to make it fit Doom's format it'd be unusable. You'd be better off sketching the level in question and making it yourself.

JoelMurdoch said:

So loosely summarised, that'd be a no.

did you bother reading anything in this thread? if "that'd be a no.", then whats this map2wad.exe on my hard drive that's almost ready to be released? no it doesnt have all the bells and whistles, but its not looking too bad so far.

oblivion said:

did you bother reading anything in this thread? if "that'd be a no.", then whats this map2wad.exe on my hard drive that's almost ready to be released? no it doesnt have all the bells and whistles, but its not looking too bad so far.

98% of it at least :) Even though I'd have no practical use for it, I'd still be interested in seeing this thing. How does it handle the level layouts exactly? I still can't really envision how it would work effectively.

1. textures are ignored
2. sprites/things are ignored

support for these could easily be added if i ever give enough of a damn.

3. slopes are ignored

if a non beta version of zdoom ever comes out with slopes, i may add support

4. sector lotags/hitags sectoreffectors etc all that stuff is ignored. add it back in yourself with boom functionality or zdoom scripting or whatever

5. room over room is translated but will not build nodes correctly or run correctly. the build engine is vastly different to doom and this is simply something build can do and doom cannot.

6. assorted little bugs and i am a lazy bastard. although i promise there will be something to play with for anyone who is interested by this weekend.

I'm sorry if I came off a bit rude to you before. If you have any other more specific questions about the conversion I'll be happy to answer them.

LordTrasher said:

Can ya make it so sectors with lowtag 20 are converted to working DoomDoors?

if there is real interest in using this to convert duke3d.maps to doom.wads i would rather spend time adding a sprite->thing converter and some sort of texture translation table.

Is it almost done, oblivion? I'm really interested in this, regardless of whether or not it has any "extra features", and if it works well I might make a megawad assisted by it. If it doesn't I guess I'll just have to do it the hard way, heh.

Anyway, Wad2map seems to be working now. Joy.
Wad2art is another story entirely.

real interest? damn i never expected this. i have something to do this morning, but in a few hours i should be done and i'll start tidying things up and release it. it still has bugs of course and everything, i'll talk about all that later.