Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SavageCorona

This is now the official skeleton thread

40oz said:

How much seed money would you like to get started?

FTFY

40oz said:

Your ambition is inspiring. I'll do anything I can. How much seed money would you like to get started?

I don't need money. I plan on making this game completely free with completely free software.

I dunno dude, I'm really interested in possibly joining this project but I need to know if we have any plans to include a mongoose-snake hybrid as well before I make my final decision. Can you show me some of your existing work so I know I don't have to do 100% of the work on this project as well?

Ralphis said:

I dunno dude, I'm really interested in possibly joining this project but I need to know if we have any plans to include a mongoose-snake hybrid as well before I make my final decision. Can you show me some of your existing work so I know I don't have to do 100% of the work on this project as well?

Well, I am working on the story-line at the very moment, but game wise, I will be using Cube 2 as the engine. I am actively and carefully learning C++, and I have someone that will be helping me with the audio/music. I do not expect anyone to do 100% of the work, and I do not expect anyone to be fully dedicated in the project either. All that I currently have done is a basic story and confirming that Cube 2 is going to be the engine. The game is going to be named "Tobutori" Which is "Flying Bird" in Japanese. (Because why the hell not? My stupid brain is to stupid to process names.) This game can just be something that can be done on our own time. As for the story, this is all I got: Bunch of bird species pissed at each other for no reason and decide to kill each other (Because why not?)

On another note, My apologies that I am rushing to make a video game with little to no programming, modeling, scripting, and mapping experience. I just really want to do something with my life, and this game will be that. Sorry I have mental disibilities, folks.

Why would the birds even need to be humanoid? The things already walk on two legs.

You could just put them into vests and have guns strapped to their wings that they activate by pecking them. It's infinitely more original, and infinitely more hilarious to a dimwit like me.

Jaxxoon R said:

Why would the birds even need to be humanoid? The things already walk on two legs.

You could just put them into vests and have guns strapped to their wings that they activate by pecking them. It's infinitely more original, and infinitely more hilarious to a dimwit like me.

Ehem...

This thread will soon migrate to some place warm.

The time isn't for back story. The time is for making a game mechanic that lowas for walking flying and gliding.

Aw dammit I cannot step it up to the level of all these bird puns you're throwing down, geo.

And why do so many people I encounter that aspire to make a game always go on about stuff like open worlds and crafting systems like it's some kind of checklist? I guess it's because it's what all the big AAA games have, but there's a reason they can have those things and its because they're made by triple AAA companies. It's great and fancy to have aspirations but doing that is like expecting to craft a best-selling novel on your first try at writing it's like hrumph.

You gotta walk before you can run, you gotta make Rad Racer before you make Final Fantasy 7, you gotta make Azarashi before you make Cave Story.

Jaxxoon R said:

Aw dammit I cannot step it up to the level of all these bird puns you're throwing down, geo.

And why do so many people I encounter that aspire to make a game always go on about stuff like open worlds and crafting systems like it's some kind of checklist? I guess it's because it's what all the big AAA games have, but there's a reason they can have those things and its because they're made by triple AAA companies. It's great and fancy to have aspirations but doing that is like expecting to craft a best-selling novel on your first try at writing it's like hrumph.

You gotta walk before you can run, you gotta make Rad Racer before you make Final Fantasy 7, you gotta make Azarashi before you make Cave Story.

Open worlds and crafting systems are what people want. That way you really just have to buy one game every 5 years and sink your life into it.

When you look at Steam's longest played games, they always have crafting and or open world.

Of course I remember a time where you could craft bulllets with a gun to make a weapon you can shoot.

I said in the other thread (rhymes) start with pong, then build asteroids and space invaders. Some people love to talk and ponder. Others are in the trenches working.

Bird puns?

Everyone be dropping white bombs all over this thread like its a park bench!

Ever since I was about 11, I wanted to make a video game that revolved around ogres and an open world environment. I always though ogres were so cool when I was young, and I wanted to find a way to put orges into a video game. The time has come for me to make a back-story. I have had so much passion in this story idea for a long time. I was thinking of writing a novel, but a video game would be better. I can come up with a story. but please I need help with this. I am a beginner at video game design, but this has inspired me to learn. Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

So you've both had 8 years after thinking up something to finally start working on thinking up more? Again, programming is a long dull process, your mind will wander and invent a back story and flesh it out. You don't need to sit and calculate and make a forum thread about it.

Less talk more work.

You've had a week since your "I want to make a video game" thread and I've seen no progress into making the game or any game.

OK, at this point I'm curious to see what the outcome would be if we put together all of Doomworld's stream-of-consciousness threads.

Spoiler

Probably some weird videogame with drunk and stoned ninja pirate zombie robot birds that use nanotechnology to implant rectal computers in their eggs or something, and spam trivia and factoids all the time.

Oh fuck it I've got time and lack of sleep. Sounds like the perfect mix. I'll be back in a few.

Maes said:

Probably some weird videogame with drunk and stoned ninja pirate zombie robot birds that use nanotechnology to implant rectal computers in their eggs or something, and spam trivia and factoids all the time.

You are forgetting the all important skeletons, my son.

Also,

30 minutes later and done. I also recorded all 30 minutes of making the little arcade game.

I call it Big Bird gets Trill!

As I was making it I came up with a backstory. Big Bird was asleep cozy in bed one night when he awoke to find nothing but blue sky and hunger. With no land around Big Bird was forced to flap his tiny wings until his stamina ran out all while dodging a menacing ostro woman wanting marriage from him. As the giant yellow bird plummets from the sky, his only thought was food will energize my wings, but in this nightmarish world, no sustenance will ever restore his energy as the clock ticks away.

Watch it while it lasts, the gif probably will not stay up forever.

Coolkids said:

I don't need money. I plan on making this game completely free with completely free software.

Bankrolling this project would be the only way I could realistically see people with professional skill sets giving it their time. If you want this game to be made, you should at least invest $50,000 into it. Hey, you could always crowd fund it...

If people think your idea is worth it, they will contribute. If not, well that's your answer.

Sorry, Coolkids, you should realize how these things work in practice. If you can't prove your skill and reliability, and if you don't have a good offer to get people excited / interested, then you won't be able to convince people to accept commitments and spend their time and effort working on your project. Specially not for free.

First build your skill and experience yourself, by learning and practicing by small steps. Make (and actually finish!) small-scope projects on your own, in order to learn what you want to learn, and become well-versed in what it really takes to program a game or maintain a project. Then you can try moving onto something bigger, with a chance for involment of other people.

As you can see, you're being ridiculed in this thread, because you obviously lack the knowledge and skills to make any game at all, and yet you're trying to find volunteers to make your big project for you. This doesn't work.

Coolkids said:

Sorry I have mental disibilities, folks.

You sold me. Where do I sign up?

this seems like the next logical step to follow up my Cacoward® winning work on Action Doom 2. I will write this for you.

Coolkids, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

At least one things for sure: The bird is well shaded and indeed looks like it may have a skeleton on the inside.

Best concept ever for a song and action scene:

So why not a game?

A legend here in Chicago: