Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whymes5

Restoring Deimos [Megawad - On /idgames]

Cool maps man! Map 08 onward are really great. Maybe you want to tune up 01 - 07 and add some zdoom features to them, it looks like your mapping improved over the course of the set and updating those would make it much better.

AD_79 said:

Umm, what? Could you provide a couple examples?

no, theres no reason to start a flamewar. id rather not say which packs and leave it at that. i didnt like em, they looked magnificent but didnt play like doom so i stopped playing em.

AD_79 said:

Excuse me? What's so bad about today's general midi selection? Is it too gay for you?

loling...

this is just a general observation since i haven't gotten to play this wad yet...

but you have to admit its a little weird when you have upbeat happy music in a game that revolves around killing.

although i do defer to the creators vision.

Not sure if it is still relevant, but here is some additional stuff I noticed during TNS session. We played version named "rdeimosa":

Map07: shouldn't sector 176 (plasma gun) be secret?

Map09: the final room is not MP-ready. This actually blocked us - someone entered it, but was killed by archvile and no other player could enter after him. You need to make sector 262 re-openable from the outside or add a teleporter.

Map10: shouldn't sector 799 (BFG) be secret?

Map13: exit pit (sector 70) has HOM.

Map26: in Zdaemon, it was next to impossible to jump into the first secret (sector 88). Maybe you could add a thin ledge (invisible on automap) for the player to land on?

Map27: not a bug, but... the TNS players seemed unanimously annoyed by this one. I think the main issue is the blue key. Firstly, it is hard to get - AFAICT one needs to jump onto thin central rail (sector 380) and then jump from it into the southern corridor. The easiest way to solve this would be by turning linedef 2932 into normal door (instead of blue door). Secondly, the player then has to navigate almost the whole jumping/crushing puzzle again to reach the blue door. Maybe add a teleporter into the blue key room which would transport the player to sector 140?

Map29: player can get stuck between crates and pillars leading to the red key.

obake said:

I've completed the first two maps, and will play through the rest.

I chose one later map at random and did a pistol start, and I have a review for it:

Map 17 - Aquarius

This was interesting right off the bat because it reminded me a lot of a level in my first megawad release, UAC Enterprises (map 25, "Sunk", to be specific).

Underwater levels add a unique twist to combat. The player has more ways they can dodge, yet they are slower overall.

There are some absolutely awesome parts of this map. My favorite is the area leading from the sludge to the clean, blue water. I was not expecting that, and the area has a very unique look.

The whole map kind of reminds me of Ocarina of Time's Water Temple, though a lot less stressful. That said, this map was confusing at points. Part of the problem was that there were no easy teleports to connect some of the later areas to the earlier ones, meaning travel around the map was slow.

There are a lot of blank hallways, and finding the keys was more difficult than it should have been. The exit was also completely unmarked, making me finish the level on accident. I got a yellow key, but never used it. (To be fair, map 25 of Enterprises does the exact same thing with not needing some of the keys)

Despite the map's flaws, it is still a lot of fun, and I especially enjoy the big, open rooms underwater, like the first one where there is that temple with all of the armor and health bonuses, and monsters shooting at you from every height.

To improve the map, I'd add more clear directions to go for at least one of the keys. I know part of the map's atmosphere is to be mysterious and have the player explore to find answers, which is fine. You just need to balance it out enough so that the player does not become frustrated. Having a teleport between a later area and the temple room would be a good idea. The teleport could be locked behind gates that open up when you press a switch in the area it leads to. This could make backtracking less time consuming.

Overall, I had a ton of fun with this map, and am anticipating more good things from the set. :)

Where can I get UAC enterprises from?