Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

Doom makes it to "World Video Game Hall of Fame"

Doom should be in every video game hall of fame, ever. Interesting to see how Doom scored lower than Legend of Zelda (15%) and World of Warcraft (12%.) Would have thought it would be higher, but I guess the franchise is pretty outdated these days. At least it made it.

After reading some of the opinions on Gamespot, there's a lot of people wondering what is WoW doing there. And yeah, it certainly looks out of place when you look at the rest of the "chosen ones" (then again, I don't play WoW, so I don't know).

Memfis said:

That would be a bit problematic due to a certain school incident. :D

I'm sure the instigators liked chocolate cake too, but it's about as much to blame for the tragedy. Point is, Doom didn't pull the trigger.

This hall of fame was created in February, the six selected games are actually the first ones in there.

Piper Maru said:

I am shocked that Doom has never been awarded the nobel peace prize.

Hey, if people like Obama can get it before he accomplished anything, why not?

I'm kind of saddened that WoW is on the same list. Also let down that they didn't really mention that Doom pretty much popularized the game mod.

lol, they put Doom on there for inventing free-to-play and DLCs

By making the first of three episodes of the game available for free and then asking users to pay for further digital downloads of material, id demonstrated the potential of a business model that today dominates much of the video gaming world.

Yeah, fuck laying the groundwork for an entire genre, let's focus on forcing a comparison to an unstable business model and a type of digital expansion pack. Neither of which being what Doom actually did.

Gez said:

lol, they put Doom on there for inventing free-to-play and DLCs

Gotta love that bullshit comparison. The modern way, paying twice for one game, is NOT the same as paying once only for the second half of the game. I've seen this bullshit elsewhere too and it's kinda starting to grind me.

But anyway, whoever was running this, glad they thought Doom was worthy!

Kinda silly question and a bit off-topic but I was wondering what is that piece of hardware behind in the WoW screenshot and why it's there?

It's nice to see that the experts that put together all the fancy museums have no idea what the fuck they're doing.

It'd be like walking into a paleontology section and pointing to a triceratops and asking "What is that?" and the curator's just like "I don't even fucking know man but it's scary as fuck and I'm glad it died."

Considering what a leap forward Doom seemingly made for first person shooters and even 3D gaming in general, how could it not? How many games before Doom had fully textured 3D-ish environments with floors/ceilings, varying heights, different shades of lighting, parallax skies, etc? Maybe you could find examples of those individual things that were around before Doom but you'll probably have a hard time finding a game that did all of these first.

MetroidJunkie said:

Considering what a leap forward Doom seemingly made for first person shooters and even 3D gaming in general, how could it not? How many games before Doom had fully textured 3D-ish environments with floors/ceilings, varying heights, different shades of lighting, parallax skies, etc? Maybe you could find examples of those individual things that were around before Doom but you'll probably have a hard time finding a game that did all of these first.

Wolfenstein 3d may be an example. Of course, I know Wolf does not have all the fancy stuff you mentioned, but it did come out before Doom. However, I think we can agree that Doom was more revolutionary overall.

Wolf 3D may have had the perspective before Doom but it didn't have all of the additions that really made Doom stand out at the time. It may not meet many peoples' definition of 3D but I'd say Doom had true 3D game-play since you could go up and down stairs and elevators, it had a third axis of movement that Wolf 3D lacked.

Jaxxoon R said:

It's nice to see that the experts that put together all the fancy museums have no idea what the fuck they're doing.

"Gaming culture" is made up of kids that weren't even around for this shit, dude. Most of them just graduated college.

MetroidJunkie said:

What about Ultima Underworld 2? The engine was slow, but feature rich. It had the features mentioned above + 3D floors and slopes, and was released in 1993.

Including WoW kind of completely negates the prestige of this submission. We should probably get a petition going to either have WoW or Doom pulled out of this joke museum.

scifista42 said:

What about Ultima Underworld 2? The engine was slow, but feature rich. It had the features mentioned above + 3D floors and slopes, and was released in 1993.

Ooh, I stand corrected then, and it was released in the beginning of 1993 as opposed to Doom releasing near the end of it. Guess Doom was the first to do it at a fast speed? I remember people being surprised at how fast Doom managed to runs on computers at the time.

LogicDeLuxe said:

Just did watch the video their. He plays as bad as he writes that bullshit (if it was the same person). Like if he had never seen a FPS before. It is a miracle he even managed to finish the map.

For me, it's more aggravating that he doesn't even play with the screen in max size. Doesn't seem to know about the run button either.