Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
minusnine

Musician for hire

I was about to ask for a "For hire" section in the forums where people could either ask others to join their projects or just advertise themselves, but from what I've seen that kind of thing just happens from thread to thread over here
Anyway, after playing Unholy Realms I just couldn't stop thinking that it would be so freaking sweet to make an original soundtrack for an old school megawad
I'm a guitar, bass and keyboard player. I compose mostly metal, but I can make some suspenseful stuff too
Here are some tracks of mine to give you an example:
https://soundcloud.com/minusninethrash/intermission
https://soundcloud.com/minusninethrash/swing-metal

Those are both midi songs played with the Realistic Sound Engine from Guitar Pro

So, if anyone is making a map pack or megawad in the vein of the original games and needs some tunes a la Doom, you can call me
See ya!

Not sure if you would be interested since over half of the wad is technically new school, but I have almost finished a megawad which is in need of some new tracks for some of the earlier maps which are in the style of doom. I will be updating them a bit, but they should still be in a doom style. Ill mostly just change the sky, music, and add a few more detail sectors. I would be grateful if you could write a track or two for these maps (MAP01-MAP07, and MAP11-MAP14). Anyways, just take a look at the wad for yourself to see if you'd be interested. Am particularly looking for .mid or low filesize .s3m, .mod, etc. for these maps due to the hightening size of the wad, but also because I think they might fit older-looking levels better.

The thread's here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/73047-restoring-deimos-megawad-testers-needed/

Let me know if you're interested. Wouldn't mind holding up the release date if it means a few original midi tracks. Listened to your soundcloud links and it seems like the sort of stuff that might fit MAP01 in particular, for instance.

Hey Whymes5! First of all, thank you for your interest
I downloaded your wad and quickly tested all of it's levels, I went for the ones you were asking songs for first and then took a glance at the others, so I'll give you my thoughts on them

Maps01-07: Gameplay-wise they are good maps, with some cool traps and some situations that were both great and unnerving (like suddenly finding yourself in a dark room with spectres). But the thing is that they are aesthetically poor, and thus I don't think I can draw inspiration from them. Some textures just feel inconsistent or oddly chosen, and many rooms look empty, like they are missing some decoration or something.
A map needs to have a little story of it's own. After reading the tittle and having a first sight of the map that complements said title, I should already have a litle idea of where I am, what happened or is going on there, and sink myself into it's atmosphere... that's when the music starts playing in my head. That's coming from someone who always considered sound and aesthetics a crucial part of any game, I know some other folks wouldn't give them such importance

Maps11-14: There's definitely an improvement from the previous pack of maps, both in aesthetics and gameplay. While playing the first three I had some vague ideas of what I could use with them.
But man, when I played Map 14... that was freaking genius!
So I'm in this closed wooden room with a dead guy in front of me and a burning red cross... this is creepy. I try to press on the walls but nothing happens... ok... the map was called "From death", right? Maybe it's just some symbolic map and I have to kill myself like in E1M8... no, that was not the case. I fire my gun against the opposite wall, and before my brain processes what's going on I find myself running to get that bfg and fire against the horde of hell knights that were awaiting outside. Only after killing them I realise I was locked up inside a goddamn coffin
That was original, unexpected, old-school designed, and it definitely set up a mood and an atmosphere
I had a ton of melodies playing in my head during the whole thing
Thankfully the rest of the map lived up to it's intro. The teleport with 2 barons waiting on each side, the square room with the star on the floor, bloodfalls and hanging corpses... man, I would be burning my amp's valves right now if it wasn't almost 2 a.m. over here

Rest of the maps: I quickly tested them even if you said those didn't need original tracks. I thought that if I am to commit myself to a project, I want to give 100% of myself and make a decently large soundtrack.
Sadly, I know I'll never be able to write music for a map with a happy light blue sky, shining stars in the background, or virtual world walls
I didn't even start to check map 24 because as soon as I looked down I saw this wall with a creepy weird texture of some guy's face. I can't emphasize how much I HATE jumpscares, and I just had the feeling that I was going to get one if I kept going, so call me a p*ssy, but I just skipped it
Map 30 was really really cool. The threatening messages, the lights coming from the sky, the "try to survive 10 minutes in here, bastard" thing. It should be a fun and hard map to play with complex doom for sure

So, long story short, although I like your wad, it isn't exactly what I'm looking for
Maybe I could write something for Map14 and Map30 just for the hell of it
Nevertheless, I wish you the best of luck finishing it

A new musician! Welcome :D

Could you post some of your midi files? That would probably be most helpful, as that will be what would go in doom maps.
Posting your works is generally the way to go to get noticed - it's what I did years and years ago and then I started getting asked to work on things, and really developed as a musician as I did. And I would encourage you to try different moods and instruments, if only for the mental exercise.
I know my own music has sometimes not agreed with everyone because it can depart quite radically from your standard doom soundtracks and instrumentation, but I think there is just so much potential for music to enhance maps in so many ways other than just pure adrenaline. You can hear some examples of my stuff here - there's a really wide range of atmospheres.

minusnine said:

So, long story short, although I like your wad, it isn't exactly what I'm looking for
Maybe I could write something for Map14 and Map30 just for the hell of it
Nevertheless, I wish you the best of luck finishing it

No hard feelings, I realize it's sort of a strange wad to begin with. I just mapped whatever ideas I had in my mind. I didn't plan anything usually, was quite chaotic.. And as I said, I am going to update some of the maps before release, so if you ever change your mind let me know (the beta is quite unpolished on some levels, as you said)

stewboy said:

A new musician! Welcome :D

Could you post some of your midi files? That would probably be most helpful, as that will be what would go in doom maps.
Posting your works is generally the way to go to get noticed - it's what I did years and years ago and then I started getting asked to work on things, and really developed as a musician as I did. And I would encourage you to try different moods and instruments, if only for the mental exercise.
I know my own music has sometimes not agreed with everyone because it can depart quite radically from your standard doom soundtracks and instrumentation, but I think there is just so much potential for music to enhance maps in so many ways other than just pure adrenaline. You can hear some examples of my stuff here - there's a really wide range of atmospheres.

Thanks for the welcome man!
I have ~800 guitar pro files, which are raw ideas, riffs, and unfinished songs. Thing is, I play in 2 bands, so my stuff is usually structured as regular songs, which is unfitting in most cases
I've been working in 2 or 3 more tracks treating them as Doom music, but I don't think I'll make much more unless I find a project I can be part of. I mean, I have no input, no levels I can make music to
I checked your channel, very impressive stuff. There's no doubt you're at the other end of the spectrum though. Your tracks have a certain level of complexity, and are quite experimental, I'm pretty sure your understading of music theory is better than mine
I think that what made the original Doom's soundtrack so great is that it wasn't only adrenaline pumping, but it kept complexity in a perfect spot where the songs didn't distract the player nor did they become boring. That's what I want to achieve
It's not like I'm a closed minded guy or anything, it's just that I enjoy Doom the most with some old school tech or hellish maps with either metal blasting in the background or a macabre slow track sending chills down my spine

Whymes5 said:

No hard feelings, I realize it's sort of a strange wad to begin with. I just mapped whatever ideas I had in my mind. I didn't plan anything usually, was quite chaotic.. And as I said, I am going to update some of the maps before release, so if you ever change your mind let me know (the beta is quite unpolished on some levels, as you said)

Sure thing! I'll keep an eye on your wad