Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The 1st Gamer

Hell Knights

What are your opinions on the Doom 3 Hell Knights? Do you like how they look? Do you think they are underpowered? Personally, I really like their look and feel they're pretty well balanced power wise.

i love their design, but i would have liked to see a more traditional hell noble appear as well, that way the d3 hellknights would be the brute force commanded by a more classic looking baron

Needs horns, but I can understand clipping issues and stuff. They look a little like pinkies standing tall. I felt like they were balanced as a powerful enemy later in the game when I had better weapons and a torment with lacking ammo with lesser weapons.

I killed two with one fully charged BFG blast on average difficulty. They should of been tougher.

I like them exactly as they are, they served their purpose in the game well.

It's a really decent design, especially the legs. My main issue is that the top is maybe too human. Obviously, no one really looks that fucked up, but the reminders of human qualities are there, and in comparison the PC hell knight/baron has that threatening bull head. Other than that and the dull palette, it looks good.

I never liked the design for most of the monsters in Doom 3. I mean sure, they were pretty badasss alien/monsters but they didn't have the hellish feel of the originals. Where's the goat head and horns? Doom 3 felt too sci-fi for my liking and didn't delve far enough into the more satanic and occult stuff. Doom 4 unfortunately looks to be taking a more "Brutal Doom" approach which is fine I guess but I've always felt Doom should be an action horror game that combines fast paced fun action with some genuine scares and truly frightening environments as well.

I like the overall appearance and the weight the Hell Knights have in Doom3. They are realy well-balanced as a medium level monster. Only thing I missed where some explicite demonic features. Horns and goat head maybe would have been too cliched, but some kind of ingrown, rudimental protusions at the side of the head would have fit the overall style well.

scifista42 said:

Stop claiming this. There's zero evidence.

Fair enough, I guess I should have waited until the official gameplay reveal to make a statement like that. That's just the impression I've gathered from Goatlord's description and now finally seeing the more cartoonish graphic style in the teaser but ehh - only time will tell. I wonder if we're going to get weapon reloading or just endless shooting in the vein of the originals? I'm sure the Doom 4 section of these forum will be buzzing with activity in a few days.

I liked the older model much better (AKA Birdman). Wish they would of kept that one in for the Baron at least.

i always find it strange when people say the doom 3 monsters dont look like demons or that they look like aliens. as far as i know no one has ever seen a demon or an extraterrestrial

I think it's because demons were fictional and designs were already made to define them.

Has it ever been stated why recent Doom games have done away with less stereotypical designs for their creatures? I mean there are still elements in the mix, but they are subtle.

Piper Maru said:

Has it ever been stated why recent Doom games have done away with less stereotypical designs for their creatures? I mean there are still elements in the mix, but they are subtle.

I don't know if anyone at Id has stated a reason for this; however, it would seem that the new designs are meant to look a bit more realistic and less fantastical. Then again, some of the Doom 4 designs do have elements that are definitely classically demonic, like the apparent design for the Baron of Hell.

The 1st Gamer said:

Was I the only one who couldn't find the eyes on the hell knight?

The Hell Knight certainly has eyes, although they are rather beady and sunken into it's head.

Cyberdemon was my favorite monster in Doom.

Hellknight is my favorite monster in Doom 3 for the same reason.

Tank in Quake 2 is another one.

The detail, attitude, animations, etc...

It's not exactly the same as in Doom, but I still love the Doom 3 Hellknight. It seems to have this air of intelligence.

potnop said:

It's not exactly the same as in Doom, but I still love the Doom 3 Hellknight. It seems to have this air of intelligence.

I also feel like the Hell Knight has some degree of intelligence. As if it's thinking about what it's doing.