Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubh

Doom 3 huh?

Hi Folks,

Just a quick post to let you guys know I am still alive.
I will make sure this is mostly on topic. You see I have just moved residence from Ireland to Boston with the girlfriend, hence the silence from me. Working on a two year working visa and hopefully we will get it without any hitches. It has been kinda hectic getting my hands on a pc for a few mins so I can read the news and posts.

I'd like to address a couple of things:

First of all, the people who keep this thing going:

Flathead and DSM, fair play to you both for doing a great job. This is one of the best forums going and I mean that! I said in a post months ago that it would be great if this discussion continued after the release date of the game so we can all share the thrills!!!
I mean that lads, beers to the boys who keep things moving here.
I can safely say for all the posters out there that you guys are the gluons in our doom universe. :D

The Doom 3 logo (Banner Outside E3): Alot of people were saying that it was crappy. Without going into the old news, I think it's great. It's Doom for god's sake. No other logo would suffice. I know if id did a new logo it would be just as cool but why mess with the original. Did they change it from Doom 1 to Doom 2, no so why change from 2 to 3??

Geomod:
Hey Flathead, do you remember a discussion about the raining being bent in the Quakecon footage?? I guess we were right from the E3 footage. Also the link below gives us some more insight into the geomod situation. Willits I think comments on it (Walls being broken through and stuff)......I hope the link works......

http://www.msnbc.com/news/758337.asp Something I was reading earlier on...great.

Bathroom Scene:
I think that the dead guy on the floor in the fat guy from the screenshots (with the scar on his belly). This confirms enemies in doom fighting eachother (This would have happened anyway but I though I'd mention it).

RELAEASE DATE:

I think the obvious release date will be ten years (to the date)
1993-2003 of the original release.

I hope none of this is reposted stuff..........and I hope my html insertions don't f**k things up....they shouldn't ("Yeah right" - FlatHead)

Anyway lads, great to be back and keep the flag flying Flathead/dsm,
you guys are great.

Nice to be back...

Dubh

sorry about the html inserts lads, wasn't exactly sure how things worked when posting links, got carried away inserting html...................... sorry :)

Though another person from forums of Quake3World, welcome to Doomworld forums :)

Hey thanks Flathead,
I'm only nice around people who deserve it.............

Great....

btw: If you guys don't hear from me too often it's only 'cos I'm tryin' my best to save up for a new pc....using my brother-in-laws at the moment....

Anyway, thanks for clearing up the html....
You're a nice guy.

Whaddya thing about the release date though huh????

Dubh said:

Whaddya thing about the release date though huh????

I love the prospect of a possible December 2003 release - ten years after the old Doom would rock (modified old deadnail quote)!
Yeah, releasing it in 2003 would be awesome, but we can't be all that sure that it WILL be released 2003 - much can go wrong and delays may occur.

I just don't know what to think about the storyline for Doom3. It says in the article that it is as though the original Doom never happened. Very odd. And this time around it will take place on Mars itself, instead of Phobos.
And this got me thinking: Will id software release expansion packs for Doom3 that allow the player to revisit Phobos and Deimos, and get to see what they'll look like using the Doom3 engine? I think it would be very, very, very cool.
And another thing: I'm sure it's already been thought of, but wouldn't it be nice to look up into the Martian skyscape and see Phobos and Deimos? I think it would be very cool indeed.

I think id decided to retell the story and set it on Mars instead of Phobos and Deimos because the idea of having space stations on Mars' moons isn't too realistic (they're shooting for realism this time, remember?).
Although I wonder where the second gate is supposed to be located?
The new story line still involves research on teleportation - that requires at least two gates. Now, the old story had Deimos being sucked into Hell, which imo was classic. I wonder if Doom 3 will have a similar event or if the story is so completely transformed.

We'll see....

Dude, you're addressing the fanfic forum Moderator :-)