Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Brutal Doom v20 Released

After 18 months of breathless anticipation, version 20 of Sergeant Mark IV's seminal mod Brutal Doom has finally been released. The list of additions and changes is far too long to list, but some of the major bullet points include tons of new graphics and animations, endless bug fixes, new boss maps, better Zandronum compatibility, optional vanilla weapons / enemies, and of course, swinging shotgun testicles. How many of these new features will make into the mod's commercial adaptation, Doom 4? Who knows. In the meantime, download now!

PROTIP: Load Brutal Doom with Demonsteele to make the experience a lot more hip! Also more humerus.

Gez said:

PROTIP: Load Brutal Doom with Demonsteele to make the experience a lot more hip! Also more humerus.

dammit gez this is not the skeleton thread

Finally! Doom is worth playing again!

Seriously though, I wonder when the Brutal Doom hate started? It won a Cacoward in 2011 so presumably it wasn't a punchline back then yet.

Breezeep said:

I'm not really sure when, but here's a little something.

Whoever wrote that seems to have a fairly level head on their shoulders. Good job.

It's fun... like any other mod out there. I don't hold it above anything else... just another great mod from the community.

To me, classic, vanilla DOOM will always be the best. Anything else would be akin to the digital meddling that George Lucas did to original Star Wars trilogy, neat and modern I guess, but still prefer 'em unaltered if I had to choose between playing the two.

I was on a hiatus from doom for about the past 7 years so I missed the whole Brutal Doom train, but my understanding a lot of people hate the mod maker more than the mod.

Anyway, I tried this new Brutal Doom release and it just didn't feel fun so I stopped playing.

hobblinharry said:

I was on a hiatus from doom for about the past 7 years so I missed the whole Brutal Doom train, but my understanding a lot of people hate the mod maker more than the mod.

Eh. Always approached it as don't blame the creation for the mistakes or stupid shit the maker has done in their life. If I refused to play, listen, or watch anything created by someone that's done something terrible, then there probably wouldn't be much left out there in the world to do. For example... Though I pretty much agree Michael Jackson was a pedo-buttknocker, and didn't personally care much for him, I won't deny something like "Thriller" to be any less than the masterpiece it is.

In short, just because their personality and ethics are questionable... doesn't mean their talent or craft is.

And then there's the mod bringing the madman fame (sargeant mark) vs. the madman bringing the mod fame... such as Eric Harris. I won't give any credit to Harris as he was a talentless piece of shit that has popular mods only because of what he did. I will give Sargeant Mark credit, despite being a piece of shit or not (depending on who you ask), because he actually has talent, but he's only famous because of mod. It's that weird paradox line that seldom gets crossed.

Is Linguica seriously starting a thread just to try and stir up an argument/shitstorm?
I'm not going to complain in here, but it's only a matter of time before people start coming in and getting pissy.

The Civ said:

Is Linguica seriously starting a thread just to try and stir up an argument/shitstorm?
I'm not going to complain in here, but it's only a matter of time before people start coming in and getting pissy.

It's a popular doom mod so I imagine it's going to get some kind of news coverage.

The Civ said:

Should we not report on a new release of what is unquestionably the most popular Doom mod?

Linguica said:

Should we not report on a new release of what is unquestionably the most popular Doom mod?

^this. Remaining neutral is professionalism... being biased and taking sides on personal agendas turns you into the crap seen everywhere else in media and reporting, and a site wouldn't last very long doing so. If it's news, it should be reported. Especially something of that magnitude.. would be ignorant not to, imo.

I , for one, am glad there's a new version out and I'm more glad that 'Doomworld' as an entity is mature enough to report its release. Like it or not, nothing and I mean nothing has got more people talking about Doom in the past couple of years than BD.

I tried it out last night and I actually think it's a big improvement over the last release. I really think that it's starting to mature into something pretty good. It feels more balanced, there's less ear-destroying screaming and the added graphics are definitely a better aesthetic fit to the Doom look.

I played through the first couple of chapters of DTWID with it and, you know what? I had a really good time. :)

Highly anticipated wad releases (final versions, preferably) really should get their own news topics without depending on it's creator to make a spectacle about it on his own. Wads&Mods gets a ton of activity and surprise megawads by well-known/award-winning mappers are quickly shoved into page 2 by "hey i just made my first map" threads

Buckshot said:

^this. Remaining neutral is professionalism... being biased and taking sides on personal agendas turns you into the crap seen everywhere else in media and reporting, and a site wouldn't last very long doing so. If it's news, it should be reported. Especially something of that magnitude.. would be ignorant not to, imo.

That is very true.
I'm just worried that the mention alone will cause argument, as it has in the past.
I have nothing against reporting news for the mod, or the mod at all. I just want to
avoid all possible flamewars.

The opinions of doomworld forum posters are not representative of Doomworld as a Doom news outlet.

It was such a relief playing vanilla doom again after playing nothing but v19 for a while. Now to try v20.

I heard there are already some bugs and glitches reported on the ModDB page and it's hilarious Mark considers this finished. I gave up on this mod officially* this January, which I wrote over at ZDoom and in the Blogs section on the forums here.

*Meaning no more support of it as I did not make any new BD videos since last March or April. I remained skeptical the entire time until Jan 5th when it was dropped all together.

If Mark would ditch the dismemberment, decapitation, fatalities, one liners, "rebalancing" and not fucking with the weapons to make it weapons mod compatible, maybe the mod would be have a better overall reputation and I would not have had to put together my Random Deaths & Decoration mod.

The "Jealous" argument is so old and overused it holds no water to deflecting any criticism towards the mod or Mark himself.

At least the player doesn't explode randomly after gibbing an enemy with a berserk jumpkick any more.

Jaxxoon R said:

At least the player doesn't explode randomly after gibbing an enemy with a berserk jumpkick any more.

that was my favorite part, now it is ruined

Jaxxoon R said:

You mean this hilarity? I'm glad I caught it when I did recording back near the end of 2013 during v19's early days:

Spoiler