Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duvel

Chex Quest series demos [-complevel 3]

Chex Quest

Chex Quest 2

I've made a couple of demos for Chex Quest Skill 4 (the original). I recorded these using fraggle's "chocolate-chex" chocolate doom, and they work correctly in the original dos Chex Quest (at least, the first did, and I assume the second does).

They're available at http://ler.belsambar.net/chex/ and I'll probably upload more. I keep dying on level 3 :(. I'm sure it has something to do with my route or probably I just need to dodge more.

FYI, the "pars" in chocolate-chex are incorrect: they're based on Doom's, while the original chex.exe has its own pars. I have a feeling this won't be fixed due to fraggle saying he's not going to have "native" support of Chex Quest.

Edit: Uploaded a Level 3 run. Not the best, I almost die at the end.

Edit 2: Now there's a Level 4 run. Don't know how I remembered how to get out of the maze.

Edit 3: There's a Level 5 run up, but I don't know the time and don't have a utility to get it. Level 5 is funny because you can skip pretty much the entire level.

Edit 4: Now I've got a movie at 4:50. I waste a good bit of time though. I think I might try Chex 2.

Edited by Maribo

Seen no thread on any site about this. Since Chex.wad runs via Boom and PrBoomPlus, I've decided to open this thread. Last post about this was in 08. Well I think this is kinda unbeatable.
E1M1 in 0:01 using the corner exploit.
Edit still had Strafe50 on, redone.

chexquest-e1m1-01.zip

Chex Quest has been here for a long time, yet no speed demos thread for it.
This thread will be for Chex Quest 1-3 Speedruns.
Will be posting demos soon, just making a thread to keep things organized and to make Kraflab happy.

You need to use "-exe chex" in prboom+ to obtain chex quest behaviour (along with the chex.deh).

Also, chex quest 3 is a zdoom wad, so none of this applies to that.

Also, I don't think this really needs its own thread, unless you'll be doing a full table fill I guess. :D

I'm just telling you what the prboom+ usage file indicates, that -exe chex is for chex quest, whereas -complevel 3 is for ultimate doom. I don't know if it makes any difference, although the -deh should be necessary for changing the slime behaviours I think (although idk, it doesn't look any different to me *shrug*).

Edit: just remembered the latest version of prboom+ has chex.deh embedded into it I think, so you're actually using it even when you think you are not.

Chex Quest E1M1 Pacifist in 0:00.97. There, no TAS needed. :) Also, Zero_uk's demo on the DSDA is Pacifist as well.

Haha, I wonder if I have the most 0:00 demos on the DSDA. :D

Edit: Also, this should be merged into the Chex Quest demos thread (previous PRCP run should be merged into the PRCP demos thread as well). Btw, the Chex Quest demos thread isn't listed in the sticky either.

On another note, in searching for the CQ thread, I found this old thread with Chex Quest demos that aren't on the DSDA, and the link in the thread doesn't work either. Based on the movie time, the runs are probably slow, but still would be interesting if they were uploaded somewhere in the unlikely scenario anyone has them still.

cq01p097.zip

cq1 uv-max in 9:40 

execution was kind of sloppy in a lot of parts. main improvement over kraflab's run is skipping the BFG, i think. m3 also was really fast compared to my usual times on that level.

cqe1-940.zip

Edited by veovisRC

was bored, did cq1 UV-pacifist. ended up with a 7:33. fun category, that time can be improved but not sure if i want to go for it.

cqe1p733.zip

Edited by veovisRC

There's a thread for Chex demos here fyi:

A moderator can move this one for you, but for future reference.

When playing Chex Quest 2, I've noticed the flemoid equivalent of the zombie and shotgunner can do hitscan attacks. This wasn't possible in the original EXE, and I couldn't figure out any way to fix it other than using the chex.deh patch (the one fraggle made for chocolate doom.) Is this allowed for demos?