Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

Weekly IL Competition on IRC

First of all, in case anyone is still unaware, there is an irc channel dedicated to speedrunning doom over on irc.speedrunslive.com, channel #doom. We help people with questions, discuss runs, talk about how bad Dime is at doom, etc. We also host races of the iwads and assorted pwads (for instance, we did a blind race of crumpets recently), and occasionally hold competitions. A lot of demo packs get discussed and worked on over there that don't necessarily see activity on this forum (until completed) as well. There is a bit of overlap with the general speedrunning community due to its location, so it is more than a subset of the frequenters of this forum.

This summer, we will be doing a weekly IL competition. Each week, an IL will be chosen (example: Perdition's Gate, map 12 UV-Speed). Everyone tries to get the fastest time, and at the end of the week points are awarded based on who had the fastest times (for instance, first place might be worth 10 points, 2nd place worth 8, etc). At the end of the season (8-12 weeks), the one with the most points will be crowned champion. The goal of this is to get people interested in a variety of runs and categories and also promote healthy competition between participants.

It will most likely start the week of June 29th, which should be late enough that no one is still dealing with finals/etc, and also give time to pick the ILs.

This is where you come in. I am posting this to attempt to get a less-biased list of ILs to attack. If there is a run you would like to see improved (or done at all) that you think is suitable for this, please list it below. Ideally, this competition will feature many different categories, so feel free to give non-standard ones within reason (e.g., stroller, gm tyson, nomo100s, etc). Keep in mind that it would be best that everyone who wants to participate can at least get an exit, so please don't submit something like underhalls pacifist :U Otherwise though anything goes. Some subset of submissions, based on variety and level of interest, will be chosen for the competition.

If you're interested in participating, start lurking in the irc channel, since most discussion will take place there (although I will of course respond to any queries posted in this thread). If you have some run you've been looking to see competition on, please post away.

-Kraflab

New HR24 UV-Max record pls. One of the most important maps in the history of slaugter.

Scythe2 map02 nm100s. It's a tricky but fun run with a proper dose of frustration that doesn't necessarily favour the Sedlo-type speedrunners, heh. My existing record should be fairly easy to beat too - if you survive.

Going Down map20 uv max. Hilariously easy and gratifying slaughter. Should be fun for anyone.

TVR! map20 uv speed. The start is a little tricky, but the rest of the map plays like a test of various movement abilities. There's a lot of awkward turning and timing and my record is pretty shit. :)

Khorus' Speedy Shit Map 31 UV Max
Congestion 1024 Map 30 UV Max
Doom 2 In Name Only Map 30 UV Max

I have a bunch that I'd like to see get done, so I'm just suggesting a few for now.

Here are the IL requests from the request thread that were non-TAS (aside from E4M6 pacifist :P):

courtesc max
1024 map 30 max (already mentioned)
warcade1 max
Here's a list of wads I think could use more demo attention. I haven't played all of these wads fully, so I'm not completely certain on how well they work for speedrunning.
possibly various speedmapping sessions: (abysped, dwspd, hdsped)
bf_thud
some of the myriad Memfis single-map wads or kuchitsu
jenesis
3hafinal and 3ha2
crumpets
Here's a list of wads suggested in old demo pack threads:
sector666
FSD
squadron
dark resolution 2008
Coffee Break
alt.wad
interception
concerned
beyond the hell
herian
zones of fear
And a list of wads suggested in old nomo pack threads:
alien vendetta
ndcp
speed of doom
jenesis
tvr
dmonfear
10sectors / 1024 wads
cchest wad series
killadve
bf_thud
These wad lists might give some people ideas of maps / categories they wanted to see done. Alien Vendetta is probably no longer really valid as a suggestion for nomo, as most are done. Otherwise, I'm not too familiar with many of the wads above in terms of which ones are good for runs (although I'll try looking for specific maps in them over the next few weeks).

mueller03 was done by vdgg (thanks) so my request isn't actual anymore, if that matters.

btw I agree with Anc about PL26 ("Do not touch this bloody map, its cursed..." - Andy Johnsen in 1998).

The competition has concluded after 6 weeks, mostly from lack of participation. I may do this again in the future, although I will probably be more careful about IL selection. Picking the right ILs is difficult, since you want something not too hard that people skip it, but hard enough to be interesting. Of course, sometimes that window doesn't even exist. Anyway, all the results can be seen at kraflab.com/wilc, but the standings are posted below.

Rank Runner       Points
   1 Shockblast4  81
   2 Ancalagon    45
   3 Krankdud     36
   4 MattyIce3131 29
   5 GrumpyCat    20
   6 eLim         11
   7 Ribbiks       8
   8 Wakecold      5
   9 PaymentPlan   1
  10 SlashBane     1
Thanks to everyone who participated!