Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Super Mario Bros - Conceptual remake mockup art

So, I just did this in my spare time:

I intend that the above would be seen in 16:9 widescreen (NES featured wide 8:7 ratio pixels). I always wished there could be a simultaneous 2 player mode to compete and/or cooperate, just like the original single-screen Mario Bros.

I've also never been much of a fan of the way Allstars handled SMB1/2J's aesthetic, so I was a lot more conservative in my approach than Nintendo was when mucking about with the overall appearance.

While I can definitely see promise in keeping how the land looks ( although it seems a bit pillow shaded, maybe? ), the blocky, stiff player sprites really do not look any better with shading. It'd probably be better to drop preserving them and instead try to do something that calls back to them, but looks far less janky.

also, the music is kind of ehhh. the instrument choices makes the pieces far less memorable, and the SMB1 overworld theme has some kind of really weird harmony slapped into it. it's not very noticeable unless you replace the instruments with something else though.

The mirrored info on the top corners of the screen would get on my nerves.

40oz said:

The mirrored info on the top corners of the screen would get on my nerves.

even though basically every Super Mario Bros game ever has had a counter for score, time and coins?

Doomhuntress said:

even though basically every Super Mario Bros game ever has had a counter for score, time and coins?

Not with the numbers backwards?

Thanks for the comments, everyone. :)

Arctangent said:

While I can definitely see promise in keeping how the land looks ( although it seems a bit pillow shaded, maybe? ), the blocky, stiff player sprites really do not look any better with shading. It'd probably be better to drop preserving them and instead try to do something that calls back to them, but looks far less janky.

How's this?

http://i.imgur.com/EBtxmeC.gif

Very WIP, shapes still very blocky. It's mostly a test for a 6 frame animation similar to Sonic 1's, but reusing the arm pieces ala McKid's animation. Obviously, no shading yet.

EDIT: Three and a half hours (including some breaks) later...

http://i.imgur.com/Wq5l8YT.gif

I'm pretty satisfied with the head, but the the shading below it is still pretty crude and preliminary.

That actually looks really good, actually looks like Mario, and I yet I can still see the SMB1 inspiration; great job!

Arctangent said:

That actually looks really good, actually looks like Mario, and I yet I can still see the SMB1 inspiration; great job!

Thanks.

I tweaked it some:

Also been messing with level art:

FireFish said:

The funny part is, that should be able to run on a real SNES with superfx while looking like that. So instead of being a pure conceptual remake it is more or less a realistic fan art.

The SNES can't display a resolution that wide though.

According to GIMP there's only 153 unique colors in that image, and the SNES could handle up to 256. So you're wrong there. The real question is if the individual colors in that image are actually within the SNES' color palette.

Coopersville said:

Not with the numbers backwards?

derp, i read it as if he had a problem with the counter interface in general, not the mirrored info.

FuzzballFox said:

Look at the background gradient...nope

The SNES can easily display a gradient like that by applying HDMA to the CGRAM registers along with the palette destination.

You can do this because HDMA works on a line-by-line basis.

FuzzballFox said:

Nor could it display that make colours ;P

It should have all the colors needed...
While using the original snes SuperFX chip which gets built into the cartridge, it would even have enough power to zoom and rotate the sprites...

Take a look at one of the graphical masterpieces on the snes ;

Blatantly hotlinked from ; http://www.vgmuseum.com/reviews/snes/dbzhd/

Ugh w/e either way it looks nice- but I would pick a different shade for the sky, it's a little...desaturated compared to the clouds.