Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Peter Heinemann

E1M1 "Hangar" converted to Marathon! Screenshots!

E1M1 bastardized? Raped? Abused?

Every Doom lover should be able to draw or paint the first screen in Doom from his remembrance - if he has talent - or at least he should have the capability to describe the very first picture - if he has some words.

Was it just a joke of an evil Doom hater or the work of a fellow gamer who loves both games? Decide this by yourself. This map, made by the japanese (?) gamer kazushi is included with the level CD that came with the Marathon Trilogy Box Set. Since both games came out for the PC and the Mac as well, there was no other way for Mac gamers but trying to put things they loved in one game into the other. So. It«s easy. Seen also in other games.

Here is our "Hangar", seen from the sight of the Marathon man. It is the first Marathon game (released on diskettes), not "Durandal"!

Well - I could have uploaded the map somewhere, but since it is for Marathon 1, which came out only for the Mac, most of you could not make any use of it. So I played the short map to the end, made some screenshots and uploaded it to my online data sack.

http://people.freenet.de/flammberg/m_stuff/

Love it or hate it... I think its kind of "unique".

(I hope the background colour is ok. I tried "black", but it was too dark :)

Can anyone tell me where to get free webspace, around 100MB?

Make friends with someone who hosts their own pages on their computer, thats my advice.

If you ask me, it's downright ugly - looks like it was made from Wolf3d quality graphics and it reminds me a helluva lot of Blake Stone (old annoying game using the Wolf3d engine).

The enemies are daft.

The textures are ugly.

The architecture: Well i'm inclined to say: "Pretty Cool".

Uh.....likes sorta funky. Not really bad...just weird.

Yeah, lots of screenshots, I thought it could be interesting how E1M1 looks in another game. And it was a find. Marathon«s textures are not that bad as they look in this level. There were several sets of textures for several themed "worlds", like in Doom. The game has great enemies and lot of atmosphere. Technically seen, Marathon 2 and of course Marathon Infinity were far better. Anyway, I just thought it could be interesting (or shocking).

Heh, it's a nice idea, but clearly the map is not suited for the graphics of that game and visa versa.

It looks bad as hell.

And Marathon is annoying too, if you're used to anything else (the FOV in it looks like it's set to 50 - it makes my head hurt, for one.)

the enemies look interesting, but the textures look like crap. then again I really am no design guru.

Ok, just to show you how Marathon can look, here are screenshots of other projects:

http://www.marathonrubicon.com/screenshots/index.html

http://pinky.wtower.com/tempusirae/shots.html
http://pinky.wtower.com/tempusirae/lostlevels.html

Like someone here most correctly said, the map is not suitable for the textures. Marathon maps usually look totally different from most Doom maps. Marathon maps have a complete different architecture, one explanation for this might be the fact, that "rooms over rooms" were possible from the very first time in Marathon 1. Most levels of the original games and the fan made addons play on spaceships, that«s why there are so many mechanical textures. Believe me, the original Marathon 1 is a great game, filled with atmosphere. It plays in its own universe (story) and conversions like that one do not add quality. Games should not be mixed, that is for sure.

Peter Heinemann said:

mmnpsrsoskl (how I am expected to pronounce this?

Don't, trust me. I even put it through the speech thingo on WinXP and it sounded different to what I expected.

Neither can I, I think I'll just call you "mmn" :-)

Peter, wasn't there a project to convert Marathon to PC using the UT engine? Whatever happened to that? In my old Mac days (Quadra ~75mHz) I used to play Infinity all the time, but with PHOBOS, I can't exactly do that.

DC

I get somewhat a feeling of being insulted when people without talent get to make commercial games. This is some of the worst graphics in a game I've seen. I could draw better with my right hand up my ass. </rant>

Snipet from Fox Trot.

Mom: -Pontus, what is that youre playing?
Pontus: -It's the new game I bought, Doomathon 2.
Mom: I't looks very bloody. I don't know if that's a suiting game for you.
Pontus: -Aw Come on, it's not bad. Here try it out some.
Mom: -Hmm ok.
Pontus: -There's a zombie mom, kill him!
<BLAM BLAM BLAM, SLUAGHTER, SANGENIOUS etc>
Mom: -Pontus, I must say this game affects me in a very bad way.
Pontus: -Cause it's so bloody?
Mom: -Because I wanna play more. Oooh I found a bigger gun.

hehe stop flaming marathon people - its a classic (and if you have primarily macs, its almost like doom). yeah it doesnt look great, but vanilla doom didnt either, did it?

hehe i'd like to see a total conversion - like, make all the doom levels into marathon maybe?

xooz98 said:

yeah it doesnt look great, but vanilla doom didnt either, did it?

Uh DOOM looks something like twenty-nine billion times better than Marathon.

kristus said:

I get somewhat a feeling of being insulted when people without talent get to make commercial games. This is some of the worst graphics in a game I've seen. I could draw better with my right hand up my ass.

This is when we discover he's left-handed.. :)

Doom-Child said:

Peter, wasn't there a project to convert Marathon to PC using the UT engine? Whatever happened to that? In my old Mac days (Quadra ~75mHz) I used to play Infinity all the time, but with PHOBOS, I can't exactly do that.

DC

No problem, the last link links to the file - but I don«t know if it is the latest ^_^
You played Infinity on your 68040 Mac? Well - *some* maps run nicely on these machines, but most Infinity or Evil maps are best played on RISC Macs.

http://resurrection.bungie.org/g_faq.htm
http://blue.evilorder.net/article.php?sid=91

http://downloads.gameplanet.co.nz/cat.dyn/Unreal_Tournament/Mods/

Marathon: Resurrection (Beta1)

Author: Bungie ÊÊ (file added 26/07/2001)
"This is a total revamp of the classic Mac shooter, Marathon using the Unreal Tournament game engine. With the stunning graphics, true 3D, and UT's great AI capability, this should make for a fantastic resurrection of the original cult classic."

http://downloads.gameplanet.co.nz/dl.dyn/Files/2782.html
66.14ÊMB

kristus said:

I get somewhat a feeling of being insulted when people without talent get to make commercial games. This is some of the worst graphics in a game I've seen. I could draw better with my right hand up my ass. </rant>

Ebola, the textures would look better in any other Marathon map. Just very few of the textures were used here. I could rip some of the textures from the Marathon texture file and if you like I can send these to you, you would be surprised. When you are in the original Marathon game, it all looks very good.

"some of the worst graphics in a game I've seen" - Ever played "Operation Body Count"? *That* is worse... :)

I played marathon on a friend's mac about 7 years ago and I didn't really like it much. Of course, I can't really relate it to games I've played just today.