Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LittleInferno

Colour palette based off CGA colors.

Mode 4, palette #2, high intensity to be specific. I say based off because I probably got some of the colors in the wrong place.

(Man, this color palette is so dark you'd be thinking you were playing Doom 3.)

http://imgur.com/a/QYmQy

Will post a download sometime probably today.

https://mega.co.nz/#!3U4SUJ7A!HFI46nax9PMZQ6-gEQJ6Hw2qKqODdwPJ_d7WgZAEvr0

Requirements:

A brain
SLADE

Say, now you've got CGA.wad! In order to have your game not look like your balls in a grinder and assuming your IWAD is already made a PWAD through a hex editor, make a backup of your "IWAD" first, then open CGA.wad in SLADE. Right-click on "PLAYPAL", go to "Palette", and then add it to custom palettes. Name it anything you want. Then open up your "IWAD" in SLADE. Delete the existing palette and then go to "Archive" > "New" > "PLAYPAL". Scroll down till you find what you named the palette, select it, and press "Ok". Then right click on the new PLAYPAL and go to Palette > Generate Colormaps. Then select every graphic in the "IWAD" (By clicking the first graphic and going to the last one, and then pressing shift and left-clicking) except for flats and then right-click on one of them. Go to Graphic > Convert to and on the current graphic side, click the the list bar (or whatever it is) and select "Doom". Then click "Convert All".

For converting flats, do the same as with the normal graphics except at the top, instead of "Doom GFX", select "Doom Flat".

Edit: I recommend testing this in the original executable

A bug:

If the normal graphics are converted, VILE frame \ 1 to 8 will just be replaced by 1 to 8. Select the numbers-only Arch-Vile graphics, right click on one of them, click on "Rename", and put VILE\ behind the asterisk. Then do rename each and then put the numbers up to 8.

LittleInferno said:

I did mode 4, palette 1, high intensity, but it sucks worse than the other one. Here's why:

IT'S DARN DARK!

That's kinda spooky.

These are really cool. Reminds me of that fanmade "port" of Doom for the ZX Spectrum. Although the CGA one is too dark most of the time, but still, pretty rad.

LittleInferno said:

stuff

Just....why?

When you can you simply load a PWAD that has that the new PLAYPAL and suitably pre-made colormaps, and modify as little as possible without fux-0ring up your IWAD?

The ironic thing is that running actual Doom on an actual CGA, EGA or any sort of non-chunky display, would be actually be slower than VGA, because of the planar-chunky conversions required. Having fewer (and shittier) colors would be the least of your problems.

The video Linguica posted actually shows real-time (or post-processing?) 4-color dithering, which is another beast altogether, and would be even more impractical to do when CGA or EGA would have mattered.

LittleInferno said:

Why Sendspace only though?

Because it's one of my favorite uploading websites, and it's actually quite simple.

DOOM for the Nintendo Virtual Boy

Its better than you think!

(No, really. Its not that dark as you would think.)

Map 1.

Map 7.

Map 29.

Map 11.

The color palette.

LittleInferno said:

The color palette.

In which port would it be easiest to program a two-camera mode with red and blue versions of this, slightly displaced horizontally?