Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant100

Bobby Prince's Doom IIV track

(This is not actually related to Doom 3, hence this section choice.)

Many years ago on his personal website, Bobby Prince posted a track he created titled "Doom IIV" that was, in his own words, "what [he] probably would have written for a theme to the latest DOOM". The latest Doom at the time being Doom 3, of course.

However, the only download method he provided was a torrent, so it became lost pretty quickly. This track came across my mind recently, but despite searching for a while, I could not find the original mp3 still around anywhere. Hence, I unearthed a decade old HDD of mine and found the mp3 I downloaded back in 2006.

So, in the interests of preserving and archiving Doom-ish related-ish materials, here is Bobby Prince's "Doom IIV" track in its original mp3 form: Doom IIV.mp3

However, there's slightly more slightly interesting things to learn about this track! If it sounds familiar to you here in the distant future, that's because Bobby Prince reused this song almost verbatim for a Wrack track titled "Wright or Wrong":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMId_oHgjGA

Great, thanks for sharing! I love the Doom Metal inspired riff at the beginning.

Revenant100 said:

However, there's slightly more slightly interesting things to learn about this track! If it sounds familiar to you here in the distant future, that's because Bobby Prince reused this song almost verbatim for a Wrack track titled "Wright or Wrong":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMId_oHgjGA

Right, that's why it had the effect on me. I would also say that the beginning sounds a little like Gut Wrencher from Duke 3D (by Bobby Prince as well).

Oh, it is that Wrack song. It always reminded me of a metalized version of Never Gonna Give You Up. I guess this means that Wrack is now officially Doom IIV, too bad that's not even a real number. I guess Roman numerals aren't Prince's strong suit.

Revenant100 said:

So, in the interests of preserving and archiving Doom-ish related-ish materials, here is Bobby Prince's "Doom IIV" track in its original mp3 form: Doom IIV.mp3

Thanks for that. I had downloaded that piece ages ago, and it has since been part of the bunch of misc. midis and other game soundtracks that I have copied from hard drive to hard drive over the years. But at some point, whether from a corrupted hard drive or an aborted transfer or whatever, the file's data had been erased so the "MP3" was 3.5 megabytes of zeros. Thanks to your thread I noticed the problem and downloaded a working file.

I love how bouncy Bobby Prince's music is. That said, I'm glad he's not doing the soundtrack for neo-Doom, it just wouldn't fit. But this track is really fuckin' great regardless.

joe-ilya said:

IIV means III, III means 3. Done.

It's still not a properly-formatted Roman numeral. It'd be the equivalent of literally having the title being:

"DOOM (the number that looks like 8 but cut in half instead of whole, but with the open bit facing towards the left, I forget the name but that's what number this is)"

This is the only track I've heard that he's used the SC-88 for, considering almost all of his prior works were for the SC-55.

Jaxxoon R said:

It's still not a properly-formatted Roman numeral.

There is such a thing as a properly-formatted Roman numeral.

Yes, Bobby named this like it to avoid naming it Doom III. It's a sort of pun. Humor, if you like.

But here's the straight dope, Roman numerals were historically extremely inconsistent and you could see things such as '4' expressed as IIII instead of IV, or '18' expressed as XIIX instead of XVIII, and so on.

Anyway, this reminds me I way back then downloaded a MIDI entitled "Gates of Doom" that was, from my dim recollection, presented as being made for a possible Doom movie (this was long before the Doom movie happened). Having found it back, the MIDI is indeed named THE GATES OF DOOM, but it was made by a Michael Walthius a.k.a. "Keyboard Wizard", who also made echoes.mid, and I now strongly this was ever made for a movie project. (If you want to download it, look here or there or elsewhere.)

Gez said:

'4' expressed as IIII instead of IV

That is the case on many Roman clocks. It is not considered a proper number their either, but an aesthetic choice.

LogicDeLuxe said:

That is the case on many Roman clocks. It is not considered a proper number their either, but an aesthetic choice.

Kind of like how you just improperly used "their". It's not proper, but an aesthetic choice.

Gez said:

Roman numerals were historically extremely inconsistent and you could see things such as '4' expressed as IIII instead of IV

IIRC IV wasn't used as a number because it's the abbreviation of the name of the god Jupiter; IVPPITER in the latin characters. IV as 4 was probably introduced and used by christians.

That is quite nearly the coolest fucking thing I've ever heard!