Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Octavarium

Ol' No Name (4-map set)

Just got around to trying this.  Map 2 is ginormous.  I got lost a few times and after 35 minutes decided to call it quits.  It looks good but it's too non-linear for me.  I know this is an old thread but the idgames link is recent so here I am.

Edited by Rowsol

You lost me at monsters teleporting in. Cheapest trick mappers resort to. It's WAAAAYYYYY overplayed and ruins maps left and right.

Otherwise the first map is awesome and the start area is fantastic.

3 hours ago, Hellbent said:

You lost me at monsters teleporting in. Cheapest trick mappers resort to. It's WAAAAYYYYY overplayed and ruins maps left and right.

And while you're at it, you should get rid of all the Imps. And the guns. They're way overused.

Teleporting enemies are fine; they're usually telegraphed. What I absolutely loathe are insta-pop enemies.

Ol' No Name was fun. First map was a lot of unfun, but the rest were fantastic. The second in particular was quite the epic adventure.

Guys, no need to argue. I think we can all agree that Ol' No Name has it's share of problems; namely a lack of space, too much detailing, monster spam, linearity, too much recycling of ideas, and some iffy ideas and oddities in general, such as purposefully making bumpy floors and using decorations to constrict movement in some areas or teleporting a big pile of shit into smallish rooms. I think Doomguy's greatest "weapon" is his speed and snappy movement in general, so I like to screw with that. Or maybe I've had too much to drink again/stupid in general and shouldn't be posting in the first place. *exaggerated shrug*

On 9/24/2017 at 5:45 AM, Octavarium said:

Guys, no need to argue. I think we can all agree that Ol' No Name has it's share of problems; namely a lack of space, too much detailing, monster spam, linearity, too much recycling of ideas, and some iffy ideas and oddities in general, such as purposefully making bumpy floors and using decorations to constrict movement in some areas or teleporting a big pile of shit into smallish rooms. I think Doomguy's greatest "weapon" is his speed and snappy movement in general, so I like to screw with that. Or maybe I've had too much to drink again/stupid in general and shouldn't be posting in the first place. *exaggerated shrug*

Don't sell yourself short :) There's definitely not too much detailing. Overall beautiful quality maps. I liked these a lot. Skill level is pretty rough but we can always lower if from the options :)

I played this in cooperative with three players. There are no multiplayer starts so looks like strictly made for single player. We didn't encounter any show stoppers (i.e. getting trapped behind some doors) so it didn't matter much. From multiplayer perspective the last map has too little items and ammo. Also more suits for mp needed in some levels. I rated this 4.4/5 (which means it's on the top 7% on my list)