Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Ruffian Roulette: roll the dice, reap the change

Doomers love pain states - they interrupt a monster's attack, and generally make your life easier. But what if pain states were a bit more of a gamble???

In Ruffian Roulette, every time a monster would normally be in pain, it instead morphs into another random shootable object (with full health). This is usually another monster, although occasionally not...

Download here. Requires a port with proper MBF BEX compatability (so PrBoom-plus, Eternity, ZDoom).

Oh my Linguica.... I'm scared I think you broke Doom

EDIT: It doesn't work for me in Pr-Boom

When they get to their pain state the teleport sprite appears and nothing happens as seen in this screenshot:

You can keep shooting the sprite until the monster dies though, and if it was an imp it will show the imp dying animation

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

It doesn't work for me in Pr-Boom

I'll take a wild guess here and recommend switching to PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4.test.

ahah, awesome. so you basically have to wait for it to morph into a barrel or a monster with low enough hp to kill it quickly?

Gotcha! gets pretty hilarious, since the monsters keep their infighting target even after they morph.

So I got the Spiderdemon to attack the Cyberdemon, turned it into a demon... shot it again and turned it into a cacodemon... shot it again and turned it back into a Cyberdemon... which shot back and turned Spidey into a pinkie demon... and somehow the Cyber shot it again without killing it and turned it into an SS, which he then finally splattered, triumphant.

Also I managed to turn the gaggle of monsters behind the door into two Cyberdemons, an Arch-Vile and a barrel, simultaneously.

Gaspe: Or any Slaughterfest type map.

OP: Does this break level specific tags (E1M8, E2M8, E3M8, MAP07, MAP30, etc) ?

Glaice said:

OP: Does this break level specific tags (E1M8, E2M8, E3M8, MAP07, MAP30, etc) ?

Known Bugs              : In ZDoom, any time the monster changes into a
                          former human and then changes away, it drops its
                          ammo / weapon for some reason. Free goodies I
                          guess! Also boss maps (ExM8, Map07) will almost
                          certainly not work right for hopefully obvious
                          reasons.

Start first level -> shoot zombieman with pistol -> zombieman turns into cyberdemon OH SHI- *blasted into salsa by rocket*

Seems to happen rather frequently!

Also, I used the chainsaw on one of the two zombiemen you first spot in MAP01... then got blown up when it turned into a barrel!

It's fun, in a "what the hell just happened" kind of way.

Have you ever had the experience of feeling like there was an idea right on the tip of your brain-tongue, but you just couldn't quite think of it? I had that for the last few hours about what would be the perfect name for the mod. Sooo now it has a new name.

This has been basically done in Beyond Reality (2012 Cacoward runner up) as the Random Demon.

(I couldn't find better video, the enemy only shows for 5 seconds)

Think I found a bug (in ZDoom 2.7.1 at least).

Basically, if the player, or some other enemy moves its fat ass into the position occupied by a monster which is currently in mid-transformation, the transforming monster will simply vanish. It can easily happen e.g. when shooting at enemies in large hordes, or when chainsawing enemies. Makes it a little too easy, since you can try and "disappear" monsters easily by running into them while attacking.

Also, this mod screws up the kill count something fierce (each transformation adds +1 to the maximum kill count, so you can never actually get 100% kills)

I'm delightfully scared.

I hate this.

A zombieman got turned into an Archvile which is fucking impossible to stun with a pistol and then he resurrected another zombie who turned into a Cyberdemon and you can figure out the rest.

Crushers also make monsters vanish into nothingness.

Did you change the monsters' heights? It seems like Cyberdemons et al are able to wander into places they shouldn't.

Yeah that Cyberdemon in my shot was able to wander around in that tiny corridor freely, even clipping into the wall with no problem as if he were the same size as a zombieman.

The bugs are hilarious and add a further element of risk. I can't wait to try this. Anyone who gets upset about clipping cyberdemons are being girlie-men. And if you get an archvile, hide around the corner and hit it with the chainsaw to turn it into something more manageable.

JudgeDeadd said:

Did you change the monsters' heights? It seems like Cyberdemons et al are able to wander into places they shouldn't.

No, the monsters retain their original properties (height, radius, speed, painchance etc), but change their appearance and behavior by jumping into the state frames of other monsters.

andrewj said:

No, the monsters retain their original properties (height, radius, speed, painchance etc), but change their appearance and behavior by jumping into the state frames of other monsters.

No, it uses the special A_Spawn() code pointer in MBF to spawn a new monster entirely.

And yes, I edited their sizes to all be the same size as the trooper, because it's not fun when things get stuck all the time.

JudgeDeadd said:

Also, this mod screws up the kill count something fierce (each transformation adds +1 to the maximum kill count, so you can never actually get 100% kills)

If the monster were to commit suicide (MBF has a codepointer for that) after spawning a random replacement it'd partly solve the problem. It'd also make it possible to complete boss maps, though you'd only have to pain each boss instead of killing them.

Linguica said:

No, it uses the special A_Spawn() code pointer in MBF to spawn a new monster entirely.

And yes, I edited their sizes to all be the same size as the trooper, because it's not fun when things get stuck all the time.

Ahhh I see, that would work better (for sounds and stuff).