Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jasper Carmack

The REAL doom chaingun (Toy)

I promised I'd post photos, so here they are.

Also, anyone recognize this part on the side of the gun?

Hint:

I plan on taking some high quality shots with good lighting very soon (I really really promise this time), so hopefully you guys will have some epic sprites to use in your WADS of the real deal in high def :D

awesome. it would be cool to see someone take said upcoming hq photos and turn them into, say, double chainguns (angled) that still match the original

Tango said:

awesome. it would be cool to see someone take said upcoming hq photos and turn them into, say, double chainguns (angled) that still match the original

I'll be sure to get heaps of frames too so it'll be a smooth chaingun anim.

I could also do them from a standard "hip" first person angle, coming in from the lower right of the photo, so you could make dual chainguns as you mentioned.

So people are known to have copies of the original models for the shotgun, chaingun, plasma rifle, and BFG now?

Linguica said:

So people are known to have copies of the original models for the shotgun, chaingun, plasma rifle, and BFG now?

I have the chainsaw, shotgun, chaingun, plasma rifle and BFG. All that's left is the Rocket Launcher and the pistol. I suspect the Pistol is an entertech 1980s beretta water pistol.

Technician said:

I remember John claiming the rocket launcher was a modified shotgun. Yeah I know, really.

I hear different things each time. Apparently it was painted/digitalized, then next I hear it was photographed etc.

I will check around on my Tootsietoy Dakota to see if the rocket launcher was indeed part of the shotgun.

He posted that factoid on his Rome.ro forums many-a year ago and Wayback just doesn't have a lot of his forum consistently archived. I've tried before to find quotes by John on there with little luck.

Reinchard said:

That's incredible. Finally seeing original toy after I make his high resolution version (and tekwall texture too). Unfortunately I have some trouble with setting proper light for my model - here's topic where I post them:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/creative-works/69471-high-resolution-sprites/2/

If you're interested, I've been modeling all of the weapons in 3d, I could send them along? Maybe we could do some kind of high res community collaboration?;

Superluigieth1 said:

What toy is it?

The Chaingun is a Tootsietoy Ol' Painless Cap firing gatling gun. One just sold on ebay a few hours ago for $9.99.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Vintage-TootsieToy-Gray-Gatling-Gun-Cap-Gun-Terminator-Style-For-Parts-/231584185793?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35eb7e3dc1

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Amazing. How do you find these anyway? Toy guns are a dime-a-dozen, so it must be pretty hard to find the exact one they used, right?

I've been building this collection since 2008. I initially found a place that had two Tootsietoy Dakotas for sale, so I snagged them up. Been collecting ever since.

The shotgun in the game is a Tootsietoy Dakota Cap Gun. The Plasma Rifle is the front end of a late 1980s Rambo/generic M-60 sticky dart gun. The BFG-9000 is the side of a "Roargun" manufactured circa 1992 by Fuyaco and other makers. The chainsaw is an Eager Beaver 2.0 chainsaw. The Pistol is (I think) an Entertech 1988 Beretta water pistol. I've heard varying things about the rocket launcher, but if anyone can get a reply from Romero on what it is, I'll get one. The chaingun in this thread is a Tootsietoy Ol' Painless motorized cap gun.

I did a thread on these a few weeks ago with more photos :)

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/72363-real-doom-weapons-toys-with-photos

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/72599-could-this-be-the-actual-toy-gun-used-for-the-bfg/ (Scroll to the bottom for my photo of the real deal).

I swear once I have the whole lot (which is very soon!) I will make some nice digitalized photos of each one in tehir respective DOOM positions, and believe me, I'm an attention-to-detail-freak, so they are going to be SPOT ON for angle/pose/FOV etc.

Huh, so the barrels of the gun were one solid piece and weren't even perfectly cylindrical to begin with. I thought the mishaped barrel was just a lighting thing and there was an inner axle providing that little strip of highlight. Also I just found a video that shows why the chaingun wobbles in its animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEpqq-LIqZU

Now, time to find the REAL Doom chaingunner :)

Romero stated on a tweet that the rocket launcher wasn't based on any digitized toy but pixel art.

Boy, if they're going as cheap as ten bucks (Well, and 20$ shipping), I should try to find one to go with my Tootsie shotgun.

Also, I was in a Wal Mart the other day, and found that the shotgun mold has recently been re-purposed for a new toy. The barrel has been remodeled, though, and apparently it breaks open. I didn't buy it, though I came close just to study and compare it.

http://s21.postimg.org/uozqvv14l/Tootsie_2.jpg

edit, it thought it's auto thumbnail

Glaice said:

Romero stated on a tweet that the rocket launcher wasn't based on any digitized toy but pixel art.

I've heard conflicting accounts from him on all of the weapons, although this could very well be the case.

Clonehunter said:

Boy, if they're going as cheap as ten bucks (Well, and 20$ shipping), I should try to find one to go with my Tootsie shotgun.

Also, I was in a Wal Mart the other day, and found that the shotgun mold has recently been re-purposed for a new toy. The barrel has been remodeled, though, and apparently it breaks open. I didn't buy it, though I came close just to study and compare it.

http://s21.postimg.org/uozqvv14l/Tootsie_2.jpg

edit, it thought it's auto thumbnail

Looks like cost-cutting on the Legends of the West "Montana" series

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IMPERIAL-LEGENDS-OF-THE-WILD-WEST-MONTANA-REPLICA-SERIES-CAP-SHOTGUN-15444-NEW-/110862995072

You can still get one with proper pump action.

Also some guy discovered a box of new tootsietoy dakotas, they're on ebay at the moment as we speak.

Dayum! I used to have one of those chainguns but it broke. Not sure if I kept it or threw it out.

Thanks for posting these, Blackmantis! Makes me wonder if one could get the license to upload all the toy gun pictures to the DoomWiki, specially the Development of Doom article, which I think could be a great opportunity to expand some of the most important articles about the game to gather more attention.

IMX said:

Thanks for posting these, Blackmantis! Makes me wonder if one could get the license to upload all the toy gun pictures to the DoomWiki, specially the Development of Doom article, which I think could be a great opportunity to expand some of the most important articles about the game to gather more attention.

You are absolutely most welcome to use these on the Wiki and wherever you like :)

I will get you some proper photos of each right now (it's been something I've been meaning to do for ages), so standby!

Here's one for the article if you like;

As for the sprites, I had a shot at it, but I realized a few things. The first being that I suck at taking photos like this without 3 arms to move them, so I might set them up on a dolly or something. Also the chaingun looks infinitely better with the flash on, so I'll wait until the natural light dies down a bit. I'd also like to set up some studio lighting to try and get the reflections and light just right, or at least neutral with as little shadowing as possible.

I'll get some better ones tonight along with some additional chaingun frames (perhaps a full rotation of all 6 barrels as well, to eliminate that "back and forth" look since the markings indicate that it's not fully spinning, just chugging back and forth between barrel 1 and 2.

Also to clear up the frequently asked quesstion, the barrel rotates clockwise from the first person view when the trigger is pulled ;) So now we all know what direction it is really going.

Sodaholic said:

These would make for some nice smooth versions of the animations. :)

High res as well, and it wouldn't sacrifice the original look since it's literally the same thing.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Now all we need is the Pistol and Kevin Cloud's arms :p

Brb going to the gym and going to drive trucks for a bit. Will finally have those two shortly.