Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jasper Carmack

The REAL doom chaingun (Toy)

VGA said:

Get rid of that red tip!

Haha, I've actually tried to remove it, but I'm afraid I might break the gun in the process, so I'm weighing up my options. I coud spraypaint it? Otherwise I might try and remove it again tonight.

EDIT: Nearly broke my hand trying to get it off. They don't make red plastic tips like they used to. Most modern toy guns have red tips you can pull off with your teeth or use a screwdriver for. This one is hard stuck on.

Blackmantis said:

Technically, the barrels aren't really any more lengthened than how they were in the photos digitalized for DOOM.

No, compare the press release beta and final chaingun sprites: the artist clearly pasted some "extra" barrel past the red plastic rim that was deleted.

Blackmantis said:

They were taken from a very low FOV, resulting in a very zoomed/short appearance.

That's not relevant to this particular issue.

Sodaholic said:

No, compare the press release beta and final chaingun sprites: the artist clearly pasted some "extra" barrel past the red plastic rim that was deleted.

That's not relevant to this particular issue.

OH my apologies, totally mis-interpreted what you meant.

As for that, yeah I'll probably just do some photoshopping to add some barrel length, and as for the models I can easily extend them past the end.

Seems like the OP deleted all his images...

Maes said:

Now, time to find the REAL Doom chaingunner :)

:p

And just because:

Imgur was kind enough to delete them all along with the other 189 images I had stored, without an actual reason beyond "policy violation".

Those are some awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing - that should help me find the doom pistol now that I have a bit of an extra angle on it.

And yep, that's definitely the Tootsietoy ol' painless chaingun.

As for the pictures, never the matter - I'll make a new account and upload some new ones shortly with better lighting etc. I'll get the Eager Beaver out of the shed and get some pics too.

Kick-ass find, Nuxius!! And it's also really fascinating to see even more pictures of id software members during the development of Doom. (Notice DPaint in the background, 2nd picture)

Sorry for reviving this thread, it was a joy to read through, as was the other detective work posts of user Blackmantis. This post is meant to build on the thoughts of user Maes about the rocket launcher.

About the RL, I'm almost certain I saw an almost identical prop/model once in an 80s movie or on a retro 80s movie poster, can't remember exactly (if poster, then it must have been on one of those "new retro wave" music channels on Youtube). My mind might play tricks on me, though.

With that said, part of the design looks a bit like a flamethrower of sorts, might explain why the barrel is so thin compared to the muzzle (for lack of a better word). Maes' thoughts about the RL being based on a water squirt gun might not be far out.

Some images for comparison, possible inspiration at least?

G.I Joe Blowtorch:

Flamethrower in Alien, note the back end/stock on the right:

M9A1-7 flamethrower:

Might be worth a deeper look?

I checked the Internet Movie Firearm Database for both rocket launchers and flamethrowers but found nothing exciting.

I remember when I tweeted to Romero on the source of the rocket launcher, he said it was just spritework that I know of.

Also, anyone got copies to fix the images in the OP?