Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

Monster Info

Nice work DSM!

I've always thought that the cybernetic implants of some demons were either created by the demons themselves using human technology, or (very unlikely), the humans had some limited contact with the demons with the teleportation technology and they did some experiments with them.

My crappy attempt at these.

Mancubus

The Mancubus is a demon of somewhat limited intelligence, but its firepower more than makes up for its "diminished mental faculties". The Mancubus is armed with two former military issue flamethrowers, which the Masters of Hell, along with the Spider Mastermind grafted onto the thick leathery skin of these demons, making them a formidable opponent at short to medium range. Demonic magic is believed to have altered the chemical properties of the flamethrowers, making their bursts of fire much more intense and dangerous to the unsuspecting person.

Their origins are unknown, although they are strongly suspected of having at least some connection with former humans due to their passing resemblence to them. One theory is that they were resurrected by an Arch-Vile along with a Lost Soul, which possessed the former zombie, but with some "alterations" occuring due to the state of the body when it was resurrected. Differences to humans include a much wider body and small, clawed feet which make the Mancubus fairly slow in combat. This is offset by its armament and its resistance to wounds thanks to their thick hide and unusual layout of their internal organs. Magic is also believed to protect them in some ways.

Due to their use of cybernetics, they are regarded as of more importance than other demons, although the Cyberdemons treat them with disdain and scorn, as Cyberdemons have much more advanced cybernetic technology fitted to them.

Revenants
-----------
Revenants appear to be human skeletons with battle gear attached to the ribs and the spine. Revenants have no organs, but they do have a transmitter in the skull, probably to recive orders as well as to act as a brain. Revenants also have a very thin, clear layer of skin, which does not seem to serve any purpose other than to keep the Revenant standing. The skin gets an electrical charge from the transmitter. The combat gear mounted to them is capable of launching rockets or homing rockets. The homing rockets use a hotter type of fuel, so they spew a lot of exhaust. Revenants, when close, will punch with tremendous force, capable of knocking a person out and even crushing bones! When a Revenant dies, the electrical charge going through its body is lost, therefore, the skin "dies" and the revenant cannot remain upright.

The Mother Demon (Doom 64)
----------------------------
Little is known about the Mother Demon, as she has come to be known. She can fly, and cast many deadly spells. The Mother Demon exhibits the same energies found in the Icon of Sin itself, which suggests that the Mother Demon is either the Second-In-Command of Hell. She is found in a temple that has 3 huge teleporters that bring demons in to protect her. 3 mystical keys can close these gates, cutting off her protection. These keys also seem to power an alien weapon...

The Demon

Little is known about this creature except that its body is built of hundreds of little flat square objects. The Demon possesses some kind of optical cloaking technology or magic, which gives it no more than eight different angles in which it can be seen. No matter how smoothly it or the observer turns, he will still observe one of the eight static two-dimensional flat projections. This serves as great camouflage, as a target can't tell exactly which direction the Demon is facing.

Fredrik said:

The Demon

Little is known about this creature except that its body is built of hundreds of little flat square objects. The Demon possesses some kind of optical cloaking technology or magic, which gives it no more than eight different angles in which it can be seen. No matter how smoothly it or the observer turns, he will still observe one of the eight static two-dimensional flat projections. This serves as great camouflage, as a target can't tell exactly which direction the Demon is facing.

What enemy are YOU babbling about?
It's definitely not a Doom monster as I don't remember any monsters "camouflaged" this way ;-)

dsm said:

What enemy are YOU babbling about?
It's definitely not a Doom monster as I don't remember any monsters "camouflaged" this way ;-)

Of course it is. You just need to take a closer look to see the squares:

And I suggest that you go back to the game, you'll see that you can only see 8 different angles of it. It is really confusing when you can't see exactly which direction the Demon's facing.

Fredrik said:

And I suggest that you go back to the game, you'll see that you can only see 8 different angles of it. It is really confusing when you can't see exactly which direction the Demon's facing.

That goes for every enemy in Doom, and it's not that you can't see the approximate direction it's facing, like your "info" above gave the impression of.
Anyway: LOL

The Demon

Goatse links are FANTACULAR!!!

Fredrik: doomworld's residents, swedish, basket case....... #666!

Makin his fellow DW's keel over from laughter........... SWEDE!!!
:P

No he is a swedish basket troll. Occationally hi lifts the lid and pops his head out to say something funny, but most of the time he stays in his basket spinning carpets of linedefs.

Oh man - you damn people with your explanations, you know what you made me do? Hmm? HMM?
That's right, you made me come up with a few of my own... and damn you for it. Right, where was i? Oh yes...

TORTURED SOULS : REVENANT & MANCUBUS

The vain man who lives values above all else his appearance. Such an obvious angle leads to simple yet sweet torture.
Such torture has led to two distinct demonic souls - both the end result of transforming a mortal of vanity into that which he most fears.

MANCUBUS - Subtle Torture
His beautiful body is distended and bloated with infection, his perfect musculature twisted by hellish disease that splits skin and mutates limbs. For long, torturous years this process eats away at his body and spirit, leaving only the bloated husk of that mortal man like fecal remains. As if to finalise this mutilation, the twisted stumps that were once his fists are amputated, his raw flesh attached to crude flame throwers powered by the primitive fuel pump wired into it's back.
Hateful for what he can no longer be, the Mancubus in turn seethes with rage directed at the humans that share his near-forgotten form, - the perfect soldier.

REVENANT - Brutality of Flesh
The process of creating a Revenant from a newly aquired soul of hell lies psychologically in the same area as the Mancubus - but the process is far from similar.
Strapped to a crude wooden rack, the beautiful skin is flayed, later by layer in an agonizing form of torture. Muscles and arteries are likewise sliced and stripped, until nothing but skeletal remains lie in the vain man's place. It's hatred toward humans for what they represent - that is, all that this creature used to be and admire - is matched only by the Mancubus.

Psychological conditioning is a deadly weapon wielded by the forces of Hell, and provide it's armies with an endless supply of creatures to send forth upon the world of mortals...

I love that shit. A monster desc based purely on mythology.

You should try to check out my Cacodemon desc. It might contain some good pointers.

We'll give Tek, BBG and other sci-fiers a run for their money!

Aye to that prospect dude.
Let's keep Doom creatures based in the mythological construct that the creators intended : *HELL*

You'll probably write a novel about the archvile. Hey, isn't that exactly what you were doing with your underworld stories.

My pre-written short-fiction on the birth of the Arch-Vile...

"The cavern was dark... dank... musty... the air stifling, the heat unbearable. On the colossal steps of the temple known as the Icon of Sin, a robed being stood. It's spindly body bathed in blue fire, knees touching the ground in worship even as it's thoughts brimmed with blatant contempt. And so Hades, God of the Underworld, came before the monstrous Baphomet for a single wish; a favour...
The immense horned deity, wired and dependent on the vast bank of hellish machinery that sustained it, did indeed grant the wish. In return for the Baphomet's continued protection of the Underworld, Hades would supply it with a portion of his soul for the spawning vats, to create a legion of creatures - offspring of Hades to do the Baphomet's bidding.
Thus was the Arch-Vile born."

To put it simply, the Arch-Vile is a crossbreed between the Demons and the soul of Hades.

Bleh.

Imp:
The lowest demon of all, yet among the more cunning and viscious demons. These brown, thorny creatures know nothing more satisfuing to them than to tear their victims apart with their razor sharp claws, yet they can conjure up fiery spheres which they hurl to inflict pain upon their victims and to soften them up before the imp closes in for the kill.
These creatures prefer to hunt their prey in packs and are usually the first wave of demons to attack. As most demons from Hell, imps are easily tempted into assaulting other demons, yet unlike other monsters, these attack for the mere purpose of satisfying their untamable desire to tear living beings apart.
Demon:
Likely the most primitive of the demonic creatures from Hell, yet not quite the most stupid. The basic demon is a lumpering, yet still fast creature, instilled with an insatiable appetite for gory flesh and rows of sharp, misshapen teeth, capable of ripping out large chunks of flesh and jaws capable of breaking bones.
Demons hunt in packs and have a sharp instinct - they instinctively flank their victims and usually attack their prey in its side, yet they are easily provoked by other demons and do not hesitate to even attack powerful monsters when provoked.
Demons are rather stupid and will rush at their prey regardless of the type of resistance offered by the prey.
These primitive monsters are rarely found alone.
Cacodemon:
These misshapen, one-eyed abominations are purely magic in nature and represent some of the most ghastly creations of Hell. Their soft, red skin is covered with lots of, solid, slime-covered scales of varying sizes, providing the cacodemon with good protection. The leathery skin around its face is much more solid than scale-protected skin elsewhere on its body and makes the cacodemon a tough adversary. The cacodemon has high-powered electrical glands inside its monstrous, teeth-filled mouth that, when combined with its psychic abililities, enable it to produce a slightly explosive ball of pure electric energies, which it can propel out of its mouth with great force.
Cacodemons are rather stupid creatures, yet they instinctively use their levitating abilities to their advantage, observing their prey from a long distance off. Also, these floating terrors prefer to move around in small groups of typically three cacodemons.

Really nice as usual Dsm.

But you only go about to tell about how the demons look and how they attack. The only place where you elaborate a bit further is when you say that imps hunt in packs and cacodemons prowl in groups of three.

In my opinion a good monster desc also places the demon in question in the hellish hierarchy and gives it some sort of twisted purpouse. Also emphasising mythological aspects is cool because it really gives the creature some "personality".

Your monster descs would fit really nicely in a game manual, but as fanfic it just feels like being told something you already knew before.

But it's damn well written as always.

Damn you all and your fantasy explanations. Damn you to hell. Anyway, here's my own semi-fanciful explanation of the Arch-Vile:

Arch Vile

Arch-Viles were once angels, warriors of God born only to protect and keep the peace in Heaven and on Earth. A small cadre of angels allied with Lucifer, the angel who fell from grace and became the lord of the Underworld. These angels, during their descent from Heaven to Hell, lost their Angel's wings and godly powers, the only thing they kept from the whole ordeal being their undying hatred for God and his creations for banishing them to the dread-realm to which they were now bound forever.
It took them several millenia to regain their lost powers, and even then they had perverted beyond recognition by the hellish energies that brewed in the Underworld. By this time, they had taken on the appearance of skeletons, with pallid, almost transluscent flesh and a thin structure of bone showing through it. Their powers, once used for healing, were now geared toward death and destruction. With a simple clap of their hands, they were able to conjure up huge explosions and fireballs, able to sear through flesh and armor alike. However, they kept some semblance of Angelic power throughout their obscene evolution: The ability to raise the dead. They now use this ability to resurrect fallen Demons in Lucifer's army of Devils.
They are among the most frightful creatures in Lucifer's army, with their grotesque appearance and a ghoulish chuckle that never fails to bring chills to the most courageous soldier's spine. They are also among the most destructive, able to fell entire skyscrapers with their balls of hellfire. They are high-ranking on the "food chain" of the demons, and are used as field commanders and enforcers, simply blowing to bits any demon that gets out of line.

Arch-viles in reality being fallen angels. Now thats a good one.

Honestly, I don't mind technical explanations (I even do some myself) but it simply seems a bit far fetched for me that all the hellspawn should be cyborgs.

Tek said:

A small cadre of angels allied with Lucifer, the angel who fell from grace and became the lord of the Underworld.

I'll start by shooting that outta the sky with a big fat bullet. *THE UNDERWORLD* is the Greek mythological 'hell', ruled by Hades (also known by the Romans as 'Pluto'). Don't confuse the poor impressionable ones.

Secondly, arson-commiting angels don't seem very fitting.
Otherwise - Hurrah, nice to see you write some fantasy-ish-stuff.

Not THAT hilarious.
Lucifer was a fallen angel himself - tho it would have been nice for him to show up in Doom. What we got was the Baphomet (pronounced Ba-foe-may), originally a pagan god of fertility, life, death and the general order of life. This figure was later picked up by christianity to represent chaos and, therefore, evil.

Damn they're unoriginal.

Spike said:

Not THAT hilarious.
Lucifer was a fallen angel himself - tho it would have been nice for him to show up in Doom. What we got was the Baphomet (pronounced Ba-foe-may), originally a pagan god of fertility, life, death and the general order of life.

Or rather the male aspect thereof.

Little Faith said:

But you only go about to tell about how the demons look and how they attack. The only place where you elaborate a bit further is when you say that imps hunt in packs and cacodemons prowl in groups of three.

In my opinion a good monster desc also places the demon in question in the hellish hierarchy and gives it some sort of twisted purpouse. Also emphasising mythological aspects is cool because it really gives the creature some "personality".

Unfortunately, I'm not all that much into mythology, so don't expect me to come up with mythical explanations for these critters. I prefer to elaborate on their attacks and explaining about their intelligence and such (think of it as a military file over these creatures - the military wouldn't be interested in mythological 'fairy tales').

Okie, then you could spice them up with some pseudoscientific specs, like what kind of damage they could take and how they react to certain things.

Dang, ya'll peeps have sure come up with some more good shit since I checked this thread yesterday! I like dat Arach-vile description, da one about them once bein fallen angels... VERY FUCKIN creative!

Behavioural texts - sounds fair... still, i'll be basing it on mythology. Gravity generators in cacodemons? Teleporters in pain elementals?

PAH!

Give me demons and black magic.

I always thought the Arch Vile was a kind of demonic wizard. When he attacks he looks like he is casting some sort of spell with his waving arms.

Perhaps arch-viles know a lot more spells than those two we get to see. Those two are just the most combat-oriented.

Perhaps arch-viles gave part of their life-force in exchange for their dark powers (and therefore they look gaunt and skeletal).

Sounds reasonable, LF.
In the DoomCE manual the Archviles are described as using spells, so i'd say that's a big fat yes.
Still, i think they're the most frightening creatures in the game...

Still, i think they're the most frightening creatures in the game...

Hmmmmm............ let's see, which would I rather deal with:

a)A bony 7-8 ft tall monster, who loses control of his spell on me if he can't see me, and can move fast....

or

b)a [b]16 FOOT TALL monstrosity, part cyborg, part monster, dat could probably take gettin shot by a tank, and can literally step on me, OR splatter me with a rocket if he feels like it, and can smash thru a wall.

.............. big decision here!
:P

But Arch-Viles are fast, and have that bone chilling laughter...and when did a Cyberdemon ever smash through a wall?