Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aqfaq

Maps for kids?

Hi there,
does anyone know any wads that are kid friendly? This means: no monsters, no gory objects, simple level design, some elevators to ride, lots of objects to collect (like health potions and armor helmets), colorful texture usage, some watery areas, easy mazes, some big outside areas with trees, some dark areas like caves or something...

Playing some regular maps with -nomonsters is not quite good enough, because there can be nasty surprises like corpses or gory textures.

If wads for kids don't exist, can you give a shot at it? This would be an easy little project (maybe 30 minutes) for any experienced mapper. The challenge is to make something that is very easy to play, but exciting for a kid. I have just found Doom again in a different light when playing it with a 3-year old. Collecting health potions can be very intense, LOL. It's so much fun! It's like OMG STAIRS!!!!! LET'S WALK THOSE NICE STAIRS!!!! AGAIN!!!! I WANT TO GO THE STAIRS AGAIN!!!! OMG!!! A DOOR!!!! LET'S OPEN IT!!!! WOAH!!!! GREEN WATER???? LET'S RUN OVER THE GREEN WATER!!!!! A HELMET? LET'S GET THE HELMET!!!! A GREEN SHIRT!!!! LET'S TAKE THE SHIRT!!!!!

So, go ahead and show me your best kid wad!

BlackFish said:

Adventures of Square?

I have two younger brothers and they both enjoy Square.

You said "no monsters". Did you mean that the map shouldn't contain any opposition to shoot at? But that's the most fun of all! Maybe Chex Quest would suffice for a non-gory shooter, at least. Otherwise you can try something abstract like Swim with the Whales with nomonsters (but this wad has killing damaging floors, so maybe not).

You could go with -nomonsters with a replacement wad changing all offending resources into something family friendly. I suppose there is the issue of custom textures, but if you stick to wads you know only use default resources, that's already a sizable backlog of levels to explore.

BlackFish said:

Somebody needs to make Friendship Doom.

But with ponies too?

nxGangrel said:

Sounds like an SJW productions game.

haha yeah, because sjw extends to disliking general violence and blood, good one dude

I don't mean to blow my own horn, but I was working on a mod that removed ALL the gore and blood from Doom a while back. I never finished it, but I was thinking on working on it again. Here's an example of what I have so far
http://imgur.com/QEsawnM
Maybe I could even make an expansion for it that removes guns and satanic imagery.
It's gonna take some time to finish though, because I have to edit all the sprites, but just letting you know a kid friendly doom is not a pipe dream ;)

Memfis said:

It's like they collapse after too much drinking. I like it.

Yes :D and the Baron's one it's really hilarious.

Better solution is to let kids play the real deal but explain it to them correctly that it's ONLY A GAME. I speak from experience. Knowing the difference between a video game and reality is paramount.

I played Doom since I was 3. I'm either the manliest kid ever or Doom is kid friendly enough to make my dad think it's a good idea to show a 3 year old child Doom and let them press the shoot button.

Mr hoppingtons shape search exists somewhere.

Also, Chex Quest

Doominator2 said:

Grezzo 2 is a heart-warming story about confidence and self-discovery that's fun for the whole family.

Community Is Falling 3 is probably a little bit more kid friendly. There's just too much violence and bad language in Grezzo 2.

I'm not entirely sure I "get" the animosity between this forum and zdoom's forum, but whatever. It seems like a lot of threads end up on both forums.

(I'm actually a little surprised that (intentional) joke wads about Brutal Doom haven't been made yet...)

Maps for children... That got me thinking, we need a Michael Jackson themed wad. Perfect for kids am I right?

an_mutt said:

haha yeah, because sjw extends to disliking general violence and blood, good one dude

Are you being sarcastic? Because that's exactly what's going on right now after the Doom 4 teasers.

Seems Chex Quest and Adventures of Square were already mentioned, but there's also Hocusdoom.

TheMionicDonut said:

Mr hoppingtons shape search exists somewhere.

Talk about serendipity (the thing you find when you're looking for something else), I just saw this posted at the Mod Broken Download thread at the ZDoom Forums. Someone else was looking for it.

Mr. Hoppington's Shape Search - A Kid's Doom mod (release!) - thread
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25810

Here's the new download link, courtesy of wolfman
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fbejbh1ye7f78le/shapesearch.zip

@HorrorMovieGuy They all look good except it is overly obvious that the caco is mirrored. However I think you should defiantly keep working on the project

@AqFaq I don't think letting your son (or daughter?) play Doom in it's entirety will hurt them in any way. I would explain that it is only a game. My dad used to play Quake while I was sitting on his lap, when I was 3. When Doom 3 came out we did the same thing and I was only 6! I loved watching him play it, and I remember the scary mirror easter egg. Basically I was allowed to play whatever games I wanted to except for games with swearing/sexual content, because my dad trusted I knew what was wrong about violence. In fact I'm a really reserved person IRL. But my point is that Doom is outdated, the blood is obviously not real, I'm not saying your making a bad decision what so ever. I just think it would be one heck of an experience to play Doom with your children :) Either way have fun!