Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Snap(map)chat

Recommended Posts

One of the things I find to be very interesting are the custom game modes that the player is suppose to be able to create.

It would be pretty cool for example to create a level where you could only obtain new guns by killing certain kinds of enemies. For example let's say that you start out with just a basic shotgun and can't get a new gun unless you kill at least 3 hell knights while still being attacked by other monsters. Waste your time for too long fighting weaker monsters and you just run out of ammo.

Share this post


Link to post

I reckon this level editor is targetted mainly at kids/teenagers, as they generally lack the patience to build maps in a full-blown map editor like DoomRadiant.

It looks pretty cool.

Share this post


Link to post

This reminds me of the map editor in the Time Splitters games as well (at least Time Splitters 2, that's the only one I got to play...). I spent hours and hours in the TS2 map maker, and I would say it definitely made me want to expand into more advanced modding (if you want to call Doom modding advanced, that is :P). That's not necessarily a bad thing, but its probably going to be aimed more towards casual map making. I would have fun messing around in it for a while, but the limitations would eventually mean I'd get bored. If its the only modding tool available, that will be a big downer.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm very impressed with snapmap and can't wait to try it out.

The reason doom is the only game I've ever enjoyed making content with, is that it is easy to understand. Yep, it's fast, yep, it's flexible, but what actually matters is that it is easy to understand. This seems to match up with that. I just want to jump in and make a full level without watching tutorials.

(And it looks fast and flexible as well? hard to tell. Bonus, if so!)

Share this post


Link to post
andrewj said:

I reckon this level editor is targetted mainly at kids/teenagers, as they generally lack the patience to build maps in a full-blown map editor like DoomRadiant.

It looks pretty cool.


As an adult I don't have the patience to build maps that I did when I was a teenager. I used Waded. I'm happy Doom Builder came along. If you want real patience, use any of today's 3D editors.

Share this post


Link to post

Looks like a fun and easy way to make levels that everyone can get in on, and I'm fine with that.

I am, of course, curious about the advanced features, and what the editor is capable of doing in the hands of more technically-minded and artistic types.

Share this post


Link to post

It's pretty awesome Doom's Mapping community impacted the developers enough to even hype SnapMap. If they don't fuck it up plenty of good content will be created, probably better than base game.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm interested in seeing what initial maps we can produce from this. Seems very similar to the Skyrim map editor; I just hope its not a pain in the ass to use like that one was.

Share this post


Link to post

Yes this snapmap editor looks really neat!! So novice and vertan users can use it! Also interesting is that of course the pc but now the xbox one and ps4 users can create maps. I am also hoping that this new "Doom" will allow mods! Cuase mods are also what gives doom its longevity I think.

Slightly off topic but fallout 4 PC mods will work on the ps4 and xbox one .

Share this post


Link to post

At first i was really unimpressed, as the rooms are premade, making new levels to play a lot like playing Slige over and over. Yes, the layouts a bit different each time but for the most part its more of the same. It looks like it gives you the choice between either making a small map or a huge interminable labyrinth map.

But now that I think about it, how long will it be before designers create new premade rooms to use? Can people develop their own theme room sets? Last I saw the Casali brothers (or one of them, anyway) is still creating maps for other games. I wonder if Doom 4 mapping might attract his attention. "DOOM 4: The Plutonia Experiment DLC" anyone?

I wonder if it might even bring some other well known doom mappers into level designing for Doom 4. Maybe well get a No Rest For The Living 2 or something. That might make the game more enticing :)

Share this post


Link to post

If they give you a lot of options with defining rooms, as well as making some basic curves or ways to connect overlapping areas, then Snapmap will be the real deal. I'm hoping it isn't overly restrictive in order to please novice users.

Share this post


Link to post

I think they need to give a preview of snap map and show all the tools and even a tutorial on how to make a simple map. Then we will know of its true capabilities.

Share this post


Link to post

If I remember correcty, the Time Splitters map editors allowed you to create your own generic custom rooms where you just placed walls and then filled the empty space with a floor/ceiling area. It looked pretty shit, but it was possible. Let's hope Doom 4 will allow the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm cautiously optimistic. It clearly lives up to it's title of "Snap" map where you're just going to snap prefabs together to create your own map layout. I think this could still result in some great maps, but it needs to be well implemented and well supported.

It will heavily depend on the number and complexity of prefabs and entities available though. For instance, I hope that there are a ton of basic geometric shapes that we can use a variety of entities to decorate ourselves. I'm also expecting them to offer a prefab with portals (doors) at different elevations, so you could cross the lower level of a room, then later on come back and cross an upper level.

If anyone remembers map editing in the original wolfenstein, you'll recall that it was literally placing pre-textured cubes to build your map, and there were some great custom wolf 3d maps back in the day. So I fully expect that folks will come up with some great creations using snapmap as well.

Share this post


Link to post
hardcore_gamer said:

If I remember correcty, the Time Splitters map editors allowed you to create your own generic custom rooms where you just placed walls and then filled the empty space with a floor/ceiling area. It looked pretty shit, but it was possible. Let's hope Doom 4 will allow the same thing.


Being a TimeSpliiters MapMaker "veteran" before I got into Doom editing, I can tell you that custom tiles were never possible.

I advise everyone to watch some videos online of the various Timesplitters MapMakers so they get an idea of what to expect. It was very easy to use, but very limited. Building maps using tiles they tended to resemble multilevel Wolf3D maps in terms of layout. In terms of games, 1 allowed for the creation of the largest maps, 2 was the most limited in size but had some interesting giant room tiles and 3 had simple game logic i.e. pick up item to open door, walk on tile to spawn enemy, basic timers etc. and cool items such as driveable cars and gun turrets. Each map was restricted to a single theme.

Have some fond memories of the MapMaker, for instance a mission where you had to infiltrate a military base to steal the top secret documents (represented by a Gentleman's Magazine) and various custom zombie invasion arenas. Also you could blast a second player out of the map if they got in a jeep, then you launched it up a ramp by detonating remote mines on the back of the vehicle hehe. DOn't know if anyone else ever discovered that trick.

If anyone is expecting the same level of control offered by traditional level editors i.e. Doombuilder and UnrealEditor then you are probably going to be disappointed.

Share this post


Link to post
Captain Toenail said:

Being a TimeSpliiters MapMaker "veteran" before I got into Doom editing, I can tell you that custom tiles were never possible.

I advise everyone to watch some videos online of the various Timesplitters MapMakers so they get an idea of what to expect. It was very easy to use, but very limited. Building maps using tiles they tended to resemble multilevel Wolf3D maps in terms of layout. In terms of games, 1 allowed for the creation of the largest maps, 2 was the most limited in size but had some interesting giant room tiles and 3 had simple game logic i.e. pick up item to open door, walk on tile to spawn enemy, basic timers etc. and cool items such as driveable cars and gun turrets. Each map was restricted to a single theme.

Have some fond memories of the MapMaker, for instance a mission where you had to infiltrate a military base to steal the top secret documents (represented by a Gentleman's Magazine) and various custom zombie invasion arenas. Also you could blast a second player out of the map if they got in a jeep, then you launched it up a ramp by detonating remote mines on the back of the vehicle hehe. DOn't know if anyone else ever discovered that trick.

If anyone is expecting the same level of control offered by traditional level editors i.e. Doombuilder and UnrealEditor then you are probably going to be disappointed.


It does look like it will be way more advanced than the Time splitter editors though. I mean just look at Halo forged. Imagine the best traits of TS editors and Halo forge and you probably have Doom snapmap from the looks of it.

Like I said before, how varied the custom levels will be will probably depend on how much it will be possible to customize the actual rooms and areas. Even if the rooms themselves are just a bunch of prefabs it would still be possible to customize them to make each room look different if there are lots of objects (pillars, extra walls, bridges etc) that can be customized in terms of size or shape and then be put into the actual levels. Brushes aren't the only way to make or shape an area.

I would not be so quick to dismiss the potential of this editor.

Share this post


Link to post

I have very high hopes for this editor. Here is what I hope for:

1. People will be able to submit tons of new "Snaps" for everyone to use. In theory we could have thousands (10's of thousands?) of lego pieces at our disposal. Same goes for monsters, textures, weapons, ect.

2. Monster stats can be edited such as Color shades, size, health and attacks.

3. Adding blood and gore on the walls and floors.

4. Changing the color of walls and having a editor separate snaps by themes.

5. Ability to ignore the "graphics" indicator for PC players and not be limited by the power of consoles.

Share this post


Link to post

I can already kinda tell that most of the levels floating around will be attempts at remaking the original levels.

At least it looks like you'll be able to make crate mazes no problem.

Also, as a kid myself and an experienced Doom Builder user, I think there should be advanced options for making your own geometry. Basic geometry, of course.

As far as Thing placement goes... those skulls on poles in the Hell level look very promising... ;)

Share this post


Link to post
hardcore_gamer said:

One of the things I find to be very interesting are the custom game modes that the player is suppose to be able to create.


I can't wait to play Doom Payload or Doomload and build Doom sentries and Doom teleporters or Doomiporters.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm thinking if the game takes off, the modding community will help make more prefabs that can be used. But yeah, seeing repetitions of certain prefabs in every map could get a little tedious.

But I must admit that after messing around with the Doom 3 map editor I've realised crafting modern 3d levels by hand is too time-consuming for me to be practical.

Share this post


Link to post
Ixnatifual said:

But I must admit that after messing around with the Doom 3 map editor I've realised crafting modern 3d levels by hand is too time-consuming for me to be practical.


Not just for Doom 3. Any pure 3D mapping in general is just not worth it for me. I tried making some Quake and half-life maps but just found it not worth it. Making maps for modern shooters just isn't a one person job.

Share this post


Link to post

They really need a way to import map making from blue prints or something.

What if you could import Doom builder maps into snap map? It is all math anyways.

Yes it would be blockie and uglier than shit, but at least you would have a base. From there you can begin the long polish of adding fixtures and stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
hardcore_gamer said:

Yea that is what I feared. Even if more advanced tools will be released they will probably be hard to use. Bah! I think I will be happy just using Doom snapmap. I wonder if it will be possible to make it so that many levels can be played in a row.


I'm still waiting for a full-fledged 3D map editor that doesn't suck (aka is both very powerful and easy to use, like Doom Builder and the Build editor).

I've tried them all--from Radiant to UnrealEd to Hammer--and hated every last one with a passion. Those tools are just so goddamned complex and time-consuming to use, even for accomplishing basic tasks, that it completely sucks every ounce of fun out of the level design process.

Share this post


Link to post

Snap Map looks like it could be fun. I don't know if it will be a full fledged mapping program, but I'll definitely mess around with it see what I can do.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×