Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EternalWolf

Story and SP Campaign Design

So what do you guys want out of the story and design of the campaign? I dont want a cutscene heavy game and dont think we will be getting one, an intro and maybe prelude level(not as slow as DOOM 3) combined with short environmental, weapon and enemy "cutscenes" is all I need. However I am hoping for a lot of optional lore to be found, similar to Metroid Prime, where the story is told through computers and such(not long emails and completely uninteresting stuff like DOOM 3).

As for campaign design I am still not sure if I would prefer levels or, again, a Prime like world with "backtracking" through Mars, Phobos, Deimos, Hell and Earth. I put backtracking in quotes because I dont mean running back the way you came, but going in the back way to areas you have already entered via keys and the such. Standard levels would most likely make for better replay value if the game is truly great though.

As a side note I am very glad they pretty much stole the health and ammo system from, yes Metroid. I cant stand regenerating health in any genre but the one thing I dont like about health packs is having to run back and get them. Giving you drops keeps the pace up while keeping the difficulty pretty much the same. The dude playing rarely got hit and avoided those extremely fast Baron attacks with ease so we didnt get to see what the damage output was here. I dont think they are going to drop so much health without enemy attacks balancing out damage properly.

I just don't want to see a retread of Mars, other, more secret part of Mars, Hell. Darnit, I want to see at least part of the campaign set on Earth. The city levels were some of my favorite from Doom 2, and I'd love to battle demons in the city streets again (and it'd be actual city streets and ruined buildings, not abstract representations of them).

I think it will be a reimagination of the first Doom again. I don't have anything against it and I actually like the idea of the story being told by those holograms, like the one with a hell knight we saw in the presentation. Just make them brief.

I'm perfectly okay with it being set on Mars again, if anything, Mars seems like a pretty fun place to be. Futuristic outposts, badass gadgets and plenty of demons to mow down.