Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stygian

Your Opinion on the Newest Doom (Straw Poll)

It's obvious that people in general are divided about the newest iteration of Doom. I would like to know, as a whole, where does Doomworld stand on this issue?

Overall positive? Call of Doom is a death sentence to the gaming industry? Only play games made prior to Clinton's second term in office?

I know that there's no option to post polls on this board, so hopefully this won't get canned outright.

http://strawpoll.me/4644100

Man, it's got its flaws, I can see them now, running through my head like bad nightmare spookies. But that plasma rifle is just too darn cute to say no.

~Maybe the sequel will be better ohohoho~

I'm happy whenever I see Impse as a choice. I write it on my Facebook polls about things that don't pertain to Doom.

I'm surprised to see such a positive response to the game. 2/3 of responders are at least optimistic.

All of the threads on /v/ vilify the Doom reboot as the biggest letdown in human history.

From what I saw it looks good. Not amazing, but certainly not bad.
It shows plenty of promise to keep me interested and on the look out for new peaks at its gameplay, and assuming that they never reveal anything else about it, I would still buy it based on what I've seen.

I wasn't really disappointed like others were since I did not hold unrealistic expectations for it. It was definitely going to be modernized somewhat (the brownish appearance and Doom 3 look to it), and other important aspects such as the back story, exploration and music weren't really shown, so I'll sit back awhile and wait before jumping at everything.

It's no classic doom, but I don't think we really can expect that from a 2015-2016 game, for better or for worst. So I'm keeping an open mind about it. Despite some flaws, it looks like it'll be a lot of fun so far. I'm also hoping they allow for more modding possibilities beyond the Snapmap

I shared my thoughts in more detail in Goatlord's thread regarding Doom 4 but overall I think it looks good. I'll definitely be buying it but the game didn't amaze me nearly as much as I was hoping it would. Could have used improvement in several areas. Not bad, but not amazing.

Something about the new one just appeals to me. I'm glad they're doing something different. I especially like the new Hell; I'm getting tired of the typical fire and brimstone. This one gives off a very toxic and oppressive vibe, capturing the essence of what Hell represents without resorting to the standard cliched depictions.

I can imagine the gameplay gets a lot more hectic than what was shown: the guy playing kinda sucked. What's important is that it didn't look like there was anything that would get in the way of the player if they wanted to rush through the levels. I like when games let the player control the pace, rather than cap out at its forced pace. Doom 3 actively went out of its way to prevent progression for the sake of scripted sequences. As long as this lets impatient players be the most impatient bastards they can be, they're on the right track.

I actually like the music too. I don't like dubstep, but this isn't exactly dubstep (I am a huge fan of 90s EDM, though). Classic Doom was a reflection of contemporary culture, I don't see why 2010s' Doom should be stuck in the 1990s. Classic Doom will always be there and I'll continue to play it.

It remains to be seen how the game will actually be, but I like what I've seen of it so far. At the very least, I'm keeping an open mind.

I think there is too much violence.

Games like this will just encourage kids to go out and start shooting people. They may even decide to go to a high school and start shooting their classmates, Columbine-style.

Maybe instead of weapons, the Doomguy should just have a random assortment of gifts that he can give to the zombies and demons, and they would respond by smiling and dancing with Doomguy.

On a more serious note, it looks like it may have potential. As long as it isn't as insufferably boring (and confusing) like Doom 3 was, and you aren't required to switch between your gun and a flashlight, I will probably buy a copy of this game. I'm really hoping it will be more like Doom 2 than Doom 3.

And to be honest, I'd rather have regenerating health than have to deal with hunting down health packs all the time. Most new games don't let you cheat or quicksave, so it would kinda suck to be stuck in a hallway, waiting to fight a boss monster, with only 9 health and no way to heal yourself.

I am hyped as fuck. Overall, the look and "feel" that I could discern from the footage shown reminds me a lot of a more polished Necrovision (the second half more than the first half, of course), which itself was an awesome game. Level design looks good (in the techbase level, it's subtle, but there's evidence of at least one branch with monsters down it being skipped, so it's unlikely that this will be a scripted-sequence fest, and the Hell level looks outright fantastic, an open-ish "arena" with criss-crossing catwalks and side corridors in a very old-school way, and it has a visible secret that the player probably intentionally skipped). Movement looks good. Combat has nice "heft" to it while maintaining a brisk pace. Visuals are appealing. And it's got Sarkeesian up in arms, massive bonus points for that.

I'm in-between "flawed but optimistic" and "ambivalent". It looks like it'll be fun to play through once, at least, but I'm worried that there won't be much replayability. The executions look fun the first time but could get boring quick, and I'm kinda sad that we're still getting the "everything is orange and teal" color scheme. Definitely glad that it looks more action-y than Doom 3 though.

I am interested in it. I pre-ordered Wolfenstein: The New Order so in theory I should be able to play the multiplayer beta.

I like Gerald Brom's arts too, classic cartoonish design, but after all game looks perfect and feels like Doom for 200%. Too much gore? Gore is a driver of this game. Personally, I want see more violence in new Doom than less.

I am actually really surprised by the results.

I think this thread should be in the news section so that more people can see it.

Impse.

But I'm actually somewhere between option 1 and 2. I don't think it's "flawed", and I'm optimistic, but neither am I more excited than I've ever been.

DoomUK said:

Impse.

But I'm actually somewhere between option 1 and 2. I don't think it's "flawed", but I'm optimistic, but neither am I more excited than I've ever been.

Same. I do have gripes with it but I think it will be a good, maybe even great game.

I didn't vote, because my opinion is somewhere between: "It's a flawed product, but I'm optimistic" and: "Very disappointed, but not without hope", but neither of these is correct. I would actually say: "It's an exciting, partly flawed product (which is perhaps too soon to say), and I'm not exactly optimistic, but not without hope."

scifista42 said:

I didn't vote

But there's impse in the poll :^)

Btw I stick with the option 2: "It's a flawed product, but I'm optimistic".

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Not exactly what I was expecting, but I'm still interested on it.

You were probably hoping it would be more like Brutal Doom? ;)

frithiof said:

You were probably hoping it would be more like Brutal Doom? ;)

To be honest, it is quite a lot like BD.

zinkai said:

Funny thinking its a player playing the footage. Looks scripted to me

It was probably scripted in the fact that the player had to do things a certain way, sort of like the Doom reveal. Actually playing the Doom 3 reveal, you can "break" some scripted moments by simply moving when you're not supposed too.

Somewhat disappoint, but too soon to say. Reconsidering said disappointments; because of countervailing optimism in other areas. Ergo, I have no fucking clue what to think; but I'm still hoping for the best. I WANT the game to be amazing; usually that causes me to have doubts.

I'm starting to think it was the way the player played through the video that was turning me off. Perhaps it wasn't properly digested for me; thoroughly appreciated due to this?[I'm I just being crazy here?] Because if you watch this video; it captures a more awesome feel: