Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

The New Cacodemon

In case any of you haven't seen it, here's a screenshot of the new caco. I love it. Looks enough like the old one to tickle my nostalgia, but new enough to be fresh.

I do like it, looks like a mix of the original (basic shape) and Doom 64 (arms, colour) versions. I might have liked it to have a bit more of a red colouration, but it's still a decent redesign.

I think the new Cacodemon's design is great. I'm disappointed that he's not red anymore, but at least his shape is distinct. There should be alternative red skin for him as part of the official game, toggle-able by the player if the default skin color irked him.

The failing that quite a few Doom 3 monsters had was that they didn't look Hellish, the Cacodemon being a glaring example. This updated example is muuuch better. :P

Yeah its a true call to the original. Arms or not it still looks awesome. Although I'm a big fan of variety, so I hope, but doubt there's a Doom 3 or armless version.

I'm glad a giant floating ball has a ball sack on it. Even if I know its a gland for shooting projectiles.

It's really cool! But the eye and that "expression" makes it look like it's sleepy.

gaspe said:

It's really cool! But the eye and that "expression" makes it look like it's sleepy.

lol I never thought about it but you're right! You pick up on those things because you have an eye as an avatar. An ... eyevatar!

The more I look at it, the more I keep thinking a pain elemental and a caco bumped uglies and bounced out a baby.

The arms are a nice touch imo. Looks like it was made from mangled bits of other demons, not unlike the revenant.

But yeah, the sleepy look is unfortunate and I won't be able to unsee it now you guys have mentioned it.

It's awful. And by that I mean awful grotesque. Shriveled up, asymmetrical arms, too many teeth, a somewhat painful looking expression...I like.

I really like it. Very distinct looking, and seems to be a mix of all past Cacodemons combined into one freakish beast.

He reminds me of a grumpy persian cat, but the design is indeed very good. I like this much better than Doom 3's flying dinosaur heads.

I think this is the best updated Cacodemon I've ever seen; a suitable mix of it being faithful to the PC Doom one (which is my favorite version, even if it looks a bit silly), while appearing much more evil and hellish and even managing some Doom64 influences, which I think they worked in very well.

Definitely my favorite new Doom monster so far.

I think the "sleepy" look, seems a little more like an agony/painful expression, almost like a he's sporting a bit of an evil grimace.
I really like it.

I like it better than the Doom 64 (so-so) and Doom 3 (ugh) versions. It could be more colorful, but that appears to go for most of the game. As far as it appearing 'sleepy', I think one needs to remember that it's a still shot from a video, so it's probably halfway through an animation and not the best visual representation.

Not sure how to feel about the arms. I could honestly do without them, but they aren't terrible. My bigger concern is that one of them looks like a mutant baby arm. That's fine, but are they all like that? It's the kind of thing that works as individual distinction, but it'll be a little weird if they all have the same underdeveloped arm. Then again, it might just be the angle that makes it look that way, so who knows.

I don't think the "sleepiness" is due to the design. It appears to be in the middle of its blinking frames. Great modern interpretation, though.

You know what I think? They need to saturate all of the colors. IMO the game looks great and I can't wait to play it but all the colors look like an unsaturated shade of shit.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Looks great, although he seems to have a ball sack hanging between his arms

Personally, I like the ball sack. Kind of an underrated feature.

I really like the way they did this character design.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Faithful to the original, without looking too cartoonish.

This is all I ask for.