Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Veterans: What are your thoughts on the reveal?

So the forum is going to shit because all the bandwagoners are showing up to decry the death of Doom.

Let's have a thread for the people who have been playing Doom for 10 years or over. What did you think?

Personally, I'm super excited for more Doom. I'm going to build my new desktop just to have this game run at 60FPS on Ultra.

If the engine is anything like id Tech 5 good luck running it on ultra.

But yeah even if it's not the same as the old one I'll probably still play it. I thought Shadow Warrior was going to be shit when I heard it wasn't like the old one but then it came out and I had a proper blast with it. I'm not expecting it to be good or bad either way though.

Does it look like a fun game? Yes.
Does it respect the legacy? Yes.
Am I willing to pay for it? Yes.
Could I have done a better job myself? No.
Does it look like a fun game? YES!

Chris Hansen said:

Does it look like a fun game? Yes.
Does it respect the legacy? Yes.
Am I willing to pay for it? Yes.
Could I have done a better job myself? No.
Does it look like a fun game? YES!

Quoting for truth. Honestly, I'm saving like a madman for the next few month to upgrade. Because if I don't get to play DOOM 4 or Fallout 4, I'll cry pure man tears.

(Played for about 13-14 years)
I think visually it's looking wonderful, and the gameplay looks pretty solid to me. The Hell map in particular looks pretty frantic with all those monsters appearing from various directions. Zombies and imps seem hard to distinguish, but perhaps it will be easier to tell in-game.
The revenant looks fantastic, and seems deadly as ever, as a revenant should be. I'm slightly disappointed the Hell Knight hasn't gone back to its minotaur design from the original games, but hey, perhaps the Baron will appear this time, and maybe that will be as it was originally.

The spectre seems interesting. In the brief few seconds its present, I can't see it until the player killed it at point-blank range, at which point it just suddenly appeared in its death animation. Looks like they're going to be tougher to see this time.
While I understand the dislike of the new cyberdemon, I personally like it. It's huge, it roars and it's got a bloody great weapon of death fused onto its arm. That's a cyberdemon if ever I saw one. It's also nice to see the cacodemon and mancubus sticking with their original designs.

Weapon progression seems rather odd to me. The base level shown was apparently the second map, and already the plasma gun is available. Perhaps it was placed their temporarily to show the weapon off for the presentation. Even in Doom 3, it didn't appear until maybe the tenth map or so.

Then there's the BFG. Shown at the very end of the Hell video, charging up as the cyberdemon raises its rocket launcher. I really can't wait to see the projectile unleashed by that. The general design and the animation of it charging definitely makes it look like its going to be more powerful and satisfying to use than in Doom 3.
Still hoping to see the rest of the classic bestiary turn up in the final game. While I dislike pain elementals and arch-viles, the former hasn't had a HD outing yet (along with the spider variants) and the latter was really buggered up in Doom 3, and needs to be done justice.

I liked Doom 3, but it didn't come remotely close to the original games. I don't think I'm going to be saying that of Doom 4. I expect this to be very good indeed.

This may be a minority viewpoint, but (I think partially because I've been playing Doom long enough to make it a fixture in my life,) I have no real desire for Doom 4 to recapture the spirit of the classic games, or to match their gameplay, or to retain half their longevity.

The homages and classic trappings are a cute touch, and the direction shown so far in the demo has me sold that it should be a fun diversion, at the least.

The Timesplitters-style map builder was also a pleasant surprise, and if SnapMap lets advanced users import their own custom geometry, I could see people really going to town with it.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing even more differentiation from the classic games, though. With the nice zippy player speed and double jump mobility, I'd love to see lots of smallish interconnected levels utilizing tons of vertical space, with the danger and franticness ramped up to eleven. Gameplay where a mistimed attack or jump can be fatal amidst lots of environmental hazards and dangerous enemies; lots of deaths and retries. Almost like Hotline Miami and a modern shooter had a baby.

If something like this is implemented as a 'challenge mode', or perhaps via user mods, I suspect it'll have a lot more replay value for me.

Edit:

Eris Falling said:

Weapon progression seems rather odd to me. The base level shown was apparently the second map, and already the plasma gun is available. Perhaps it was placed their temporarily to show the weapon off for the presentation.

Given the nature of the demo, I think it's fair to assume that a large amount of the progression, if not the entirety of the content, may be staged to show off a nice deep slice of the game in as little time possible. If these two demo levels make it into the final product, I'd put money on the revenant and cyberdemon not appearing in the same respective places, amongst other things.

I'm a dinosaur in terms of gaming, the rest of the post can be concluded from that alone, so you don't need to read it.

Personally, I don't play modern games ("modern" as in made using the latest technologies) so I really don't care. Haven't tried Doom 3 because I'm 100% sure it won't capture my interest, not planning to try this game either (well, it won't run on my PC in any case). Visually it seems extremely uninspired and boring to me: everything is brown, ugly and depressing, downright repulsive at times because it feels like the terrain and the objects are made of clay or something like that. I think the blue carpet thingy in doom.wad E1M1 is 1000% more attractive than anything they've shown in these pictures\videos. Modern realistic graphics are just not for me I guess: thousands of polygons\textures\etc and absolutely nothing looks pleasant. :D Obviously, the gameplay will suck compared to any good pwad too...

The gameplay looks pretty fun! I'm not really sold on the fatalities, but most of them don't seem that obnoxiously long. The double jump and climbing are perfect additions to a game defined by its movement. I have to say, though, some sections do feel kinda slow. I like the health/ammo on kill mechanic.

The levels shown hint that it won't be all action, which is good. The best classic levels had a nice mix to them. Looks linear, but it's hard to tell. Linear's not necessarily a bad thing, if the spaces are still interesting to explore.

Aesthetically, it reminds me of Doom 3 in a bad way. Same plasticy-looking bases -- at least hell was pleasant to look at, pee-filter aside. They really need to ditch that filter, it's sad that a screenshot photoshopped to add some color looks way better than the actual game.

Snapmap is brilliant! Probably the most impressive thing out of this whole announcement to me.

It's okay. I'm not impressed, but I'm not put off by it. Some things I am fond of, like the new Revenant, the faster gameplay, the openness, etc. But there are things I also don't like, such as the new Cyberdemon and Mancubus, the return of the Doom 3 Hell Knight (and his silly high speed), the blandness in the artstyle, and so on. I will definitely get it and I hope I'll enjoy it. I'm not expecting anything revolutionary, just something to to get some enjoyment out of for a little while.

Twas born in '88 and been playing since 93. I'm pretty excited. I built this pc for Doom 4, and it'll eat whatever's thrown at it, and if it can't play D4 on ultra I'll be dropping however much money the same day to play on ultra. I'm not fond of the Cyberdemon, he looks like a mix between an Elk and a Baron or something, they could've done better. Seems like he looked better in the original teaser. I'm just hoping they don't fuck up the levels and SnapMap'll be awesome, it's a pretty damn good idea if executed properly.

Been playing for 21 years, so I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what Doom ought to be. I've enjoyed aspects of every commercial release, from the 80s action movie vibe of the original, to the nightmarish experiences of the PSX and N64, to the attempt at maturity with Doom 3. The official reveal has aspects of all of these games while trying to create its own identity. I've been extremely gleeful about what's been shown and look forward to seeing more at QuakeCon next month. If there's anything I'm worried about, it's

1) Will level design be dynamic, encouraging me to explore it multiple ways, as in the original?

2) Will combat have the same visceral chess-like experience as before, where every decision plays a crucial part in ensuring my survival?

3) Will Hell feel truly nightmarish, or just end up being another generic fire-and-brimstone affair?

4) Will multiplayer be fast paced and fun, like Q3A?

5) Will the official mapping tools offer something straightforwardly powerful like DoomBuilder, or will it be too complicated to build things from scratch quickly?

Kind of wish it didn't have that modern 'everything is brown' crap but a mod will inevitably come and fix that right up. Other than that, looks very promising.

In a perfect world the movement would be a little bit faster, the game would be significantly more colourful (thank goodness Borderlands at least is not scared of being vibrant), and there wouldn't be the goofy melee fatalities. But I'm still cautiously optimistic.

It looks OK; quite impressive in places. It looks better than Doom3 anyway (but that's not difficult). It looks as if it acknowledges the originals reasonably well while still carving out its own look. I don't really need a new Doom game to try and be too faithful to the original games but it's nice that it seems to be doing it more than Doom3 did. I certainly don't expect a 1993-style experience in modern technology. I'm not even sure that would be particularly desirable at all.

It looks quite action packed. Some of the footage made it pretty clear that there are certain sequences/fatalities/whatever which may be triggered by the player but where the game takes over control, even if briefly. Not sure how I feel about that. "Wait and see" I guess. The weapons seem better than those of Doom3 which were always lacklustre and a very weak point of the game for me.

The player movement looked like that typical modern kind of movement which is so characteristic of present day games but, to my mind, is quite uncomfortable, not especially realistic and very generic. Visually it also has a bit of that "waxy" look but nothing like as bad as Doom3 era games and it has all the usual modern game visual tropes. Basically, it seems pretty much like I would expect a new generic FPS game to be like in 2015. There's nothing particularly wrong with that per se but it doesn't really row my boat either.

Basically, I'm not that bothered about it one way or the other. I certainly don't share the excitement of some people on these forums. It's very much a modern game by the looks of it and if I wanted to play modern games that badly I probably wouldn't be here. It is Doom? Yeah, probably. Is it a Doom game I'm particularly interested in? Not especially, no. I may play it. I may enjoy it. I'd be surprised if I was still playing it 20 years later. I'm just not that interested in a modern shooter of this type, Doom themed or not. There is still a part of me that would simply like id, or rather Bethesda (seeing as how id doesn't really exist in any recognisable form these days), to just walk away from the Doom franchise and do something else: a new IP, a new style of game, whatever. Doom's been done and doesn't need to be redone IMO. Doing it over and over has a sort of diluting effect IMO. There are other stories and settings to explore.

I'm not really sure why the idea of a new Doom game leaves me pretty cold, but it does. Perhaps the lacklustre experience of Doom3 is partly to blame. At the time, Doom3 (and all the fuss around it - and Tod Hollenshead's ridiculous hype) certainly cemented my growing impression that id was but a mere shadow of its former self and that situation certainly hasn't gotten any better. (Not that I expected or wanted id to go back to being the cutting edge, enthusiastic collection of gamer's game makers from the early 90s that they used to be - an impossibility in today's industry I feel.) Doom3 left me feeling "meh" and I stopped really caring about id or anything that they made after that. I don't think Doom3 was solely responsible, but it didn't help. To me, id is just another gaming company now and their name being on a product no longer means automatic excitement or fun to me. There was a time when an id logo would have meant an automatic purchase but no longer. Their products are just games like those of any other company now and I'll wait to see some trustworthy reviews before I consider getting Doom(4).

It seems funny now to think about it but I'm not even sure how much the Doom setting, particularly the Hell elements was ever that exciting for me. It was always the sci-fi elements and tech levels that I enjoyed most. With this new game there isn't the excitement of it being a completely new experience (like it was in 93) so I'm left with a seen-before setting that I'm not too bothered about in a new, shiny but generic engine and style. Doom(93) was really exciting because everything about it was new and amazing: it was the whole package and it blew me (and the rest of the world) away. This isn't. It's just another FPS with a Doom/Hell invasion theme. Or maybe I've just grown weary of the predictably over-the-top Gothic horror imagery that id has been churning out for years and years now. It's not horrific to me, it's more like "yawn, so, we've got demons, fire and torture again eh?, that's nice honey" [Pat's the id art people on the head and offers them a boiled sweet].

So, anyway, it looks OK to me but merely being Doom themed isn't enough on its own to get me stoked about it. In fact, being Doom themed may even be a negative point for me. The style of a modern FPS isn't something that gets me particularly excited and I don't need more new Doom. However, it might be a fun game and it looks competently put together so yeah, I'm not that bothered about it one way or the other. "Wait and see."

It's definitely caught my interest and I'll be buying it for sure. I have some issues with sound and color choices but overall it's shaping up nicely. Can't wait to play it! Unfortunately I don't have an Xbox One or PS4. My PC is shit as well so I'll have to spend quite a lot just to play it. Hopefully it's worth it.

To be honest, the only reason I still play doom is cos I like playing doom. I'll see how doomy it dooms, but unless it dooms better than doom I'll probably keeping dooming in the old doom.

Just to feel like a veteran ;)

I was born in 88 thus i first played doom around 1997 or 1998. I truly like what they had to show in the doom 4 reveals, up to and including the graphics. i would have played doom earlier but i couldnt because in 1993 i would have been 4 which is a bit unrealistic for that era, especially for a game as 'extreme' as doom was.

For the rest this thread somehow manages to read as ;
i am the one true doom player so what i have to say is the absolute definition of what it should be.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Part of me is very excited, another part is convinced certain aspects of the game will be annoying or get old. I just want staying power, that's not asking too much. A game I can pick up and do some damage in without endless bullshit, or see myself still playing in 10 years.

Been playing Doom more or less since it came out. From what I've seen in the trailer there are a few things that bug me:

Brown: the Brownening - I thought we were getting over the era of brown filters on our games. Give us some color, damnit.

RIP AND TEAR - ECH! Ripping and tearing might be a funny meme, but the finishing moves just seem to slow down the gameplay. I remember it being a bit fun the first few times I did it in Serious Sam 3, but it got a bit old. Also, the violence level is a bit too much for me. In my old age, I've lost my taste for blood.

Weapon Wheel of Fortune - Yeah, I've always hated weapon wheels. Hopefully the PC port does not have an interface (or graphics) designed around console use. That shit really pisses me off. I'm a little scared because this is the company that brought us Skyrim, one of the worst offenders of UIs that don't work well with mice.

Other than that, though, it looks to be a pretty interesting game. It seems more like Doom 1 and 2 than Doom 3 was. Multiple enemies on the screen, brighter corridors, intense fights with less survival horror going on. I might even pick the game up soon after it comes out if the reviews are good. This is coming from someone who still hasn't bothered to buy Quake 4.

The fact I still fire up Doom 3 every once in a while might say something about my feelings on newer Doom releases..

I'm optimistic about it.

I... I'm not sure what I expected. I mean, everyone complained about the dark corridors and monster closets of Doom 3, so clearly they couldn't follow that example, but this almost looks more like Serious Sam than Doom, which has problems of its own - I don't want to simply slog from one monster arena to the next, there needs to be an element of exploration. And they had the "fatalities" thing in Serious Sam 3, and that got old really quickly (but you'd always do them, 'cause it's like, "I can either finish this monster off now or waste more precious ammo"). On the other hand, I guess it's harder these days to have open maps because AI hasn't caught up to the rest of game design, and so open maps allow you to set up in one spot and simply camp and waste monsters as they wander into your line of sight - at least, I'm assuming that's why they went for the "Serious Sam" approach.

Come to think of it, forget fancy graphics, AI is the next field in which FPS games need to advance. Yeah, you've got the occasional scripted behavior, but it's clearly not enough in this day and age. We need dynamic enemies that take advantage of their surroundings, who don't group together, who have different tactics depending on the situation, etc. That's probably a LOT to ask developers right now, but I think that's the next area in which game design needs to advance.

geekmarine said:

I... I'm not sure what I expected. I mean, everyone complained about the dark corridors and monster closets of Doom 3, so clearly they couldn't follow that example, but this almost looks more like Serious Sam than Doom, which has problems of its own - I don't want to simply slog from one monster arena to the next, there needs to be an element of exploration. And they had the "fatalities" thing in Serious Sam 3, and that got old really quickly (but you'd always do them, 'cause it's like, "I can either finish this monster off now or waste more precious ammo"). On the other hand, I guess it's harder these days to have open maps because AI hasn't caught up to the rest of game design, and so open maps allow you to set up in one spot and simply camp and waste monsters as they wander into your line of sight - at least, I'm assuming that's why they went for the "Serious Sam" approach.

Come to think of it, forget fancy graphics, AI is the next field in which FPS games need to advance. Yeah, you've got the occasional scripted behavior, but it's clearly not enough in this day and age. We need dynamic enemies that take advantage of their surroundings, who don't group together, who have different tactics depending on the situation, etc. That's probably a LOT to ask developers right now, but I think that's the next area in which game design needs to advance.

I agree. That's one thing I hate about Strategy games or Geopolitical Simulators, the AI never has a chance. They should create something similar to AI engines like they do GFX engines, etc. Then, if a company creates kickass AI, it could be more easy to port to other games and improved.

Been dooming ever since my dad brought home doom from work back in the mid 90s.

It looks alright. Wasn't as mind blowing as I had hoped, however, that doesn't mean that the final product won't be mind blowing. Hopefully they will make improvements to the game between now and when it releases.

Anyway, the gun play looks intense. However, it still lacks a certain something to be satisfying. I am not sure what. The gore could use a little more work. Gibbing monsters still seems not that satisfying. There definitely needs to be more blood splatter when the demons get shot. When you shoot a demon with a double barrel shotgun and its whole upper body explodes, then the wall behind it should be covered in blood. The chunks of flesh and body parts that fall to the floor should leave blood splatter and also form pools of blood. Demons that lose limbs should spray blood from their bloody stumps momentarily. Anyway, enough with the gore.

I don't like the pinyata effect of demons dropping ammo and health. Part of the incentive to explore was to find ammo and health. The pinyata effect totally removes that incentive. I would do away with that if was Id. Or at least remove the effect on higher difficulties.

I would also remove the ridiculously low ammo caps. Seriously? You can carry only 20 shells at a time? For cryin' out loud, the original Doom allowed carry 50 to 100. Only 60 bullets at a time? WTF? You will only be able to shoot the chaingun for less than 10 seconds with such a small amount.

I am also worried about the game's atmosphere and story. I don't want a completely non-existant story in this Doom. When you have context and purpose behind all your actions, more purpose than just killing demons, that makes the whole game more engrossing and immersive.

Atmosphere is super important. I don't want to feel like I am playing a game. I want to feel like I am on a Mars base battling the forces of hell. So please Id, don't forget about the atmosphere. Try to suck us into the game.

Don't care about the new Doom; probably never going to play it. I don't like modern FPS's in general, classic Doom is where it's at.

Kaiser said:

Looks like Doom 3 on crack.

I would buy Doom 3 on crack, if that's what Doom 4 turns out to be. I don't want to ever have to read a PDA, ever, for any reason. Interacting with the computer GUIs were cool but christ reading a little Gameboy that tells me about "before the invasion", I just wanted to kill myself after listening to those audio logs voiced by the same 4 actors. Doom 4 seems to have a lot of circle strafing around enemies and killing many things at a time which is pretty good you hardly ever got to do any amaze-balls strafe tricks in Doom 3 and only fought like 1 guy at a time. Also Doom 4's weapons look pretty great except they are all green I think..?

Doom 3 was like heroin with a 50% impurity cut. Just kind of staring dreamily at the screen, waiting for something to new to happen every 10 steps but most of the time it was another imp directly in front of you or goddamn, another shotgun at close range around the corner. Once you got over the "boooo!" scares, it was a relaxing game to play, because the action was so predictable. Now, the expansions were a little different and more enemies at a time, so that was pretty cool. They all but destroyed the PDA mechanics, they were entirely optional.