Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

Estimated system requirements?

So now we all know what the game looks like, anyone care to guess what sort of PC we'll need to run Doom 4 in all its glory?

I'm thinking the recommended specs won't be TOO outrageous, because consoles. But I really have no idea.

Well it is an iD game so nVidia is a must. Just a ballpark idea here, but 4th gen i5 or i7 with quad cores. At least a 2 GB graphics card. If there's dynamic lightning everywhere instead of prebaked lighting that could be what becomes a beast on your processor. Those fires in Hell and the steam cost a lot of processing. The fires in the first level cost a lot too. Maybe they can be dumbed down and simpler for lesser PCs.

So I'd say $450+ computer is what you're looking at for a bare minimum.

geo said:

Well it is an iD game so nVidia is a must.

That's true. Yet seeing as PS4 and Xbone are AMD, there might be some trickle down optimization for PC? Maybe id tech 6 is more AMD friendly than 5 was? Or you know, it will be Carmack deflecting and blaming AMD drivers all over again.

I don't know, Xbox 360 had AMD GPU but Rage ran very well on the platform. On the other hand, PS3 had Nvidia GPU and Rage and other id Tech 5 games ran really poor on there. I guess the fact that both current gen consoles have AMD GPU doesn't necessarily mean the game will run well on PC with AMD GPU.

SYS said:

That's true. Yet seeing as PS4 and Xbone are AMD, there might be some trickle down optimization for PC? Maybe id tech 6 is more AMD friendly than 5 was? Or you know, it will be Carmack deflecting and blaming AMD drivers all over again.

Well if they're both AMD, there's hope for AMD. I know Rage was and still is awful on my older and newer AMD machines. Maybe I'll install it on my current unofficial Steam Box and give it a try.

It just always seemed so odd that iD games seem to hate AMD that much. They can't be that different can they? Why do my AMD machines play every other game just fine? Lesser than nVidia, but fine with little to no consistent problems.

Well the nVidia HQ does look like a pair of UAC logos next to one another.

Its more than the GPU though isn't it? Its the CPU top speed, how fast it gets there for how many processes its doing at once. In terms of textures its disc read, hard drive read / optimization. Like whenever popin happens, its a slow drive or poor drive optimization.

It's more GPU, but CPU does factor well. Using the same GPU you can get a performance contrast if the application is multi-threaded, and you got multiple cores. Cores aside, the processor's Instructions per cycle is a big factor. Greater than clock rate. Even if modern processors are still between 3 - 3.7ghz they're faster due to the greater number of instructions per cycle.

RAM timings make a difference, but not due to higher clocks and tighter timings. Many new boards default to the shittiest timings available. You can be taking a performance hit and not even know it. Dial in the recommended timings and voltage for your sticks.

I can run Unreal Engine 4 pretty decently on my almost 6 or 7 year old system. GTx970 and 8 gigs of RAM, but I think either 1st or 2nd gen i5 is what I have processor wise. My PC was becoming unusable recently at 6 gigs until I upgraded to 8.

Just waiting for that DDR 4 to be affordable before I upgrade the 6-7 year old motherboard and CPU. Or I'll cave and upgrade to the latest and badass DDR3 stuff.

CPU has some role to play for some things but dynamic lighting isn't necessarily a huge factor. Managing the shadow maps and visibility culling of what is rendered into the shadow maps would take some CPU but it's still mostly GPU.

Depending on how particles are done, that could be mostly gpu as well.

Physics is usually CPU. Animations are mostly CPU so having many characters running around will tax that.

If I had to guess:

Windows 7 or 8 64bit
i7 or AMD equivalent
8gb of RAM
AMD 7850 or nvidia 660
50gb hd space

But you will be able to get away with less if you're just trying to get it to run in low detail.

I think i5, 6gb of RAM, & nvidia 750Ti will be the ideal performing budget build for Doom 4.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Probably something just above my specs because I'm poor and god hates me.

If he really hated you, you'd be in a horror movie.

geo said:

Those fires in Hell and the steam cost a lot of processing. The fires in the first level cost a lot too. Maybe they can be dumbed down and simpler for lesser PCs.

Frankly I'll be surprised if they can't. Seeing as my 2nd gen dual-core i5 and GT540M laptop ran The New Order at a steady 60-ish FPS on the lowest settings, I've got a good feeling it can run DOOM on the lowest settings. Upgrading isn't really an option for me either, at least not until my financial situation is a whole lot more stable than it is right now.

Idtech 5 games seem generally surprisingly optimized. That megatexture thing was very well done.

That said, my old-ass geforce 560 ti managed to run gta 5 and witcher 3 at entirely acceptable (for me) video settings, meaning medium to high geometry shit but careful with texture quality and disabling a bunch of post-processing. I'm almost hoping to be able to run doom 4 on mediums-to-lows. But I'll probably get a more modern PC before that, because I'm not taking any chances with motherfucking doom. The HD screens are pretty much making me want to get a PC capable of running it on all ultras.

I doubt it can run on 60FPS on consoles, the most impressive game graphically on Console in this E3 was Uncharted 4 and they have given up on 60FPS, now targeting 30FPS for single-player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL46dpNEPPA

So a 30FPS Doom for consoles would be the best option if they wanted to keep the graphics without much loses.

Kaskaum said:

I doubt it can run on 60FPS on consoles, the most impressive game graphically on Console in this E3 was Uncharted 4 and they have given up on 60FPS, now targeting 30FPS for single-player.

So a 30FPS Doom for consoles would be the best option if they wanted to keep the graphics without much loses.

Looking at the graphics in the videos and being pretty familiar with the PS4, I'd say the single player is 30 and multiplayer (being indoor arenas) is 60 fps. But I think they said they were going for 30 fps, at least a few years ago when it was coming out for PS3.

According to the DoomWiki, Marty Stratton has stated that the game is now slated to target 1080p resolution at 60 frames per second.

Kaskaum said:

Why can't it run at 60 fps on consoles? There's no any shadow from any projectile at all... only some shadows from some ligh sources. Particles? Those could be very tricky technicaly and impressive at the same time. Reflections? Those were in Wolf. I think people overestimating doom's tech....one should not confuse art/design with the tech...this demo already shows a lot of compromises. Uncharted 4 has tons of destructive elements, big draw distances, more poligons, more dynamic shadows i'm sure, so no wonder they can't hit 60 fps.

id.dav said:

Why can't it run at 60 fps on consoles? There's no any shadow from any projectile at all... only some shadows from some ligh sources. Particles? Those could be very tricky technicaly and impressive at the same time. Reflections? Those were in Wolf. I think people overestimating doom's tech....one should not confuse art/design with the tech...this demo already shows a lot of compromises. Uncharted 4 has tons of destructive elements, big draw distances, more poligons, more dynamic shadows i'm sure, so no wonder they can't hit 60 fps.

Maybe they can do it. But remember that any multiplat FPS so far could push max resolution + 60FPS on consoles. CoD Advanced Warfare for example runs at lower resolutions (900P) to obtain 60 FPS on consoles.

The only exclusive FPS that promisses 1080P + 60FPS on console is Halo 5, so I hope, at least, Doom can be as neat as Halo 5 on consoles which running on 1080p - 60FPS:

(This video is not a direct feed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkBDD_i8N3w

Hmm... It might be a while before games require more than 16GB of system memory, so I have that covered. But I hope my overclocked FX-8320 will cut it. I really want to get some mileage out of that CPU before I have to overhaul my whole system, basically. There's nowhere else to go with that socket type.

A GPU upgrade is inevitable though, as my GTX 760 is already struggling with certain games on high settings. But that might require a PSU upgrade. Crap.

Kaskaum said:

Maybe they can do it. But remember that any multiplat FPS so far could push max resolution + 60FPS on consoles. CoD Advanced Warfare for example runs at lower resolutions (900P) to obtain 60 FPS on consoles.

The only exclusive FPS that promisses 1080P + 60FPS on console is Halo 5, so I hope, at least, Doom can be as neat as Halo 5 on consoles which running on 1080p - 60FPS:

(This video is not a direct feed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkBDD_i8N3w

THat's right...promises! We all know what XBone is capable of....so there's no any proof that demo isn't running on PC and the actuall vusuals will not be as in the e3 demonstration.