Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Enemy to Player Scale

I may have to watch the available video again, but it seems like the scale is off on some of the enemies in proportion to the player. It was most noticeable with the imps and hell knights, not sure about the mancubus (will have to watch again, like I said). A lot of the smaller enemies seem to be noticeably shorter, though.

Off topic, I also felt as though the shotgun and super shotgun lacked a certain "punch." This, combined with the scaling issue I mentioned, made it seem like the player was hunting rabbits or varmints on the farm. Otherwise, I was fairly satisfied with the other weapons, although the chainguard on the chainsaw stuck out for me.

Mancubus looked really tall rather than obese. Taller than Hell Knights / Barons. I can understand imps being smaller than the player, since they're imps. Zombies should be the same height as the player, unless he's some sort of uber tall man that's capable of carrying the armor her's wearing. The boots might make him taller too.

The punch of the super shotgun is disintegration that no one cared about in the crowd. I think if they flew back like a rocket was attached to them it would have had more of a visual / cool factor. If enemies disintegrate with a shotgun blast, what's left with rockets? Rockets need to gib enemies, gore and parts everywhere and not disintegration. The whole disintegration just feels too easy and not fun. At least Star Trek disintegration made a glowing effect.

Yah, I agree about the shotgun. It looked cool at first, but if they were to do some overblown Hollywood fly back thing after getting punched, it'd be much cooler, and differentiate the ways that the SSG and the Rocket Launcher kill enemies.

on a side note, the ssg look weak, they forgot that in doom2 you can one shoot two imp at least if they are close enough(not even that much actually), i can't recall nothing like that in the demo...

I disagree about the shotgun. I felt that it seemed pretty punchy. Also, I wouldn't like it if all it dead was send demons flying back 10 or 20 feet. I would prefer that they just improve the gore system they already got and look into ways to make it more satisfying and hilarious.

Amph said:

on a side note, the ssg look weak, they forget that in doom2 you can one shoot two imp at least if they are close enough(not even that much actually)

SSG in Doom 2 has enough power to kill 3 imps in one blast without a problem. Theoretically even 4 fully-healthy imps if all pellets hit and you're lucky with RNG. Right, it didn't look like multikills with Doom 4's SSG would be as much fun.

Job said:

Off topic, I also felt as though the shotgun and super shotgun lacked a certain "punch." This, combined with the scaling issue I mentioned, made it seem like the player was hunting rabbits or varmints on the farm. Otherwise, I was fairly satisfied with the other weapons, although the chainguard on the chainsaw stuck out for me.

Agreed. They need a little bit of a volume increase and need to EQ in more low end. I want to feel the punch from it going off hit me in the chest from my subwoofer dammit. Especially the double barrel. I've often wondered why games recently make those so clanky sounding, they should be the most obnoxiously loud and deafening weapons in your inventory...