Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Art Direction talk in 1 hour.

Idk, the article mentioned it would not be livestreamed but maybe they've changed their mind or we'll get a transcript.

*raises hand* Mr. Martin, did it occur to you that deciding on a "brown and yellow" color palette is reminiscent of certain other things that are brown and yellow

If they were trying to get the classic Doom feel, sepia is not really the way to go. Doom was made in 1993, not 1893.

Linguica said:

*raises hand* Mr. Martin, did it occur to you that deciding on a "brown and yellow" color palette is reminiscent of certain other things that are brown and yellow

Might be a homage to Doom 2 or Quake 2 :P (at least the brown part)

Dear Hugo Martin, why did you not copy pixel for pixel the original designs from the 1993 Doom? It has to be exactly the same way, how dare you try something different!

*Rips shirt apart in anger*

Linguica said:

Id wants to attract the "Deus Ex: HR" audience

Marnetmar said:

Did anyone manage to get some notes from this?

The only thing that I could find was an article from gamespot where Marty Stratton talks about how the game is actually challenging contrary to some people's impressions from the demo the other night.

He also said some other pretty interesting things like how none of the monsters' movements were scripted. All their flying, jumping, and crawling was completely unscripted according to Marty. You can read the whole article here:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ne...d/1100-6428235/

Quoted from the article: "Art director Hugo Martin added, 'No two people play through it the same.'" This makes me feel good.

I hope the stuff he's saying is true, about the enemies being more dynamic. Doom 3 baddies were originally supposed to be like that but they ended up being pretty straight forward and not that different from their old school counter parts. But these new guys? They look like they're gonna be more than just cannon fodder and actually give me a fast paced challenge.

GoatLord said:

Quoted from the article: "Art director Hugo Martin added, 'No two people play through it the same.'" This makes me feel good.

I mean, that's technically true for any game ever.

I was highly surprised with the art direction. From everything I heard and read about the Quakecon reveal, I thought they were going for a more classic-DOOM look and feel, but with darker doom 3-like corridors. I remember some reporting it as more colorful and more vibrant, like the first. Was truly expecting a more realistic version of the DOOM comic. However it looks a lot more like DOOM 64 than either classic DOOM or DOOM 3 (albeit the monsters seem a bit of a blend of both)... which I don't mind, DOOM 64's atmosphere was nearly as enjoyable to me as classic. I admire the wide-open areas and detailed enviornments... that was something truly lacking in DOOM 3. The weapons design seems pretty good on some of the later weapons (BFG, rocket launcher, plasma rifle), but I wish they stuck with a more traditional weapons design closer to vanilla DOOM for the shotgun, chaingun and pistol (or lack thereof)... they seem too crisis-like. Also the assault rifle I'm feeling kind of iffy about, especially with scopes... I think that's entirely out of place.

The action and gameplay was about the same as I had in mind... except the crisis-like aspect, and the suit. I was expecting a "tad" faster and a lot of screaming and maniacal-madness from Doomguy with a more insane mentality, especially when it came to the ripping and tearing, but that was just because I was reading too much into early quakecon 14 reports I guess. The monster count and the ambushing and rushing, gore, etc was exactly how I was expecting it to be.

Was not expecting them to put the snapmap feature nor pay much attention to MP or coop.... which they apparently are, and that's a huge plus (though I still care more about SP and coop than deathmatch)

Imagine that one staircase where he had to double-jump several times to get across missing flights... "Be careful not to fall!"

I guess it would be "I should be fucking careful not to fucking fall! AARRRGHHHH!!!"

Jaxxoon R said:

*Punches imp's head off*

"WHOA YOUR HEAD'S SPINNING!"

That's your spinal cord, baby! DIG IT!

I wish "Get a load of THIS!" was from sonic heroes too because it's the only other oft-repeated phrase from those games I remember.

I would love to be able to press a button to say that, preferably in the same voice as Eggman did. In pretty much every game.