Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

A Doom 3 idea for those of you bitching about slow movement

There should be a cheat code in Doom 3 to increase player speed.
Either a console command, or something you set it to in a data file - kinda like the "turbo" dos command of the old Dooms.

Oh yeah, and speaking of movement speed: If someone's gonna recreate the old-school Doom maps in the new engine, they should also try and increase the player speed up to similar-to-old-Doom speed if that's possible.

Fredrik said:

You could also make the levels smaller when recreating them :P

Nah, then they'd be too transformed - increasing player movement speed and recreating the old maps down to the last detail (except for the monsters - the new engine doesn't allow for an awful lot of monsties) seems more fun to me.

dsm said:

Either a console command, or something you set it to in a data file - kinda like the "turbo" dos command of the old Dooms.

Oh yeah, and speaking of movement speed: If someone's gonna recreate the old-school Doom maps in the new engine, they should also try and increase the player speed up to similar-to-old-Doom speed if that's possible.

...and recreate all the monsters.

Shaviro said:

...and recreate all the monsters.

Uhh afaik, most of the monsters are getting recreated by id in Doom 3, so only those missing in Doom 3 need to be recreated.

dsm said:

Uhh afaik, most of the monsters are getting recreated by id in Doom 3, so only those missing in Doom 3 need to be recreated.

Yeah, but they don't all look like the old monsters.

Well recreating the old monsters so that they look exactly like the old monsters wouldn't feel right with the new engine's capabilities if you ask me, besides, who's gonna do these models so that they meet the high quality standards of the environment? It'll require someone really skilled (someone who's a professional really) in the use of the modelling and skinning tools included in Doom 3.

Besides, one of the points of recreating the old maps is to see what the old maps will look like with the new versions of the demons.

If someone can model the old sprites satisfactorily, however, I'm all for it - as long as there's a version with the new models too :-)

dsm said:

Well recreating the old monsters so that they look exactly like the old monsters wouldn't feel right with the new engine's capabilities if you ask me, besides, who's gonna do these models so that they meet the high quality standards of the environment? It'll require someone really skilled (someone who's a professional really) in the use of the modelling and skinning tools included in Doom 3.

Besides, one of the points of recreating the old maps is to see what the old maps will look like with the new versions of the demons.

If someone can model the old sprites satisfactorily, however, I'm all for it - as long as there's a version with the new models too :-)

Well. It would be VERY hard to recreate the old maps.

dsm said:

That´s a cool idea! I really hope they will include something like that. Maybe something like a "set speed" variable, where 100 is the default speed, and you can increase it up to 999.

But just pitching up the speed doesn´t really result in faster physics, because it normally doesn´t affect other elemnets like jump height and jump width, etc. (see Unreal Tournament, you can pitch up the player speed, but the physics stay the same and it doesn´t result in a fast movement a la Quake3).