Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zulk RS

Hell Invasion [PLAY-TESTERS WELCOME]

Jumping and Crouching is mandatory in this megawad. You're supposed to jump through the windows.

EDIT: My bad. I didn't mention that in the OP. Changing it now.

Back from break. Here are some MAP09 pics. This is the first city map of Hell Invasion.

dk6ekiK.png

bZVkhMB.png

JTeVr8z.png

(New Thread Pic)

Old Thread pic:

Spoiler

nF5H6GJ.png

MAP09 is complete. The download link on OP has been updated. Please tell me what you thought of the new map.

@Egg Boy Make sure you're using Zandronum 3.0 or GZDoom 1.8.6 It probably won't run otherwise. Also, it's made with freelook in mind and jumping and crouching is mandatory. Recommended Sector Light Mode is "Doom" but other light modes can also be used.

Sure, I'm not used to playing GZDOOM anymore, but I still have it downloaded, so I'll give it a shot and tell you what I think.

Thoughts on Map01:

Ah a train map, a staple of ZDOOM mapping. The detailing isn't too bad. It's just detailed enough to look good, but it doesn't go overboard. It's cool as far as train maps go. They're all basically straight lines, which isn't too exciting, but hey, I got to kill some demons so that's worth something. Progression is kind of weird at the part where you have to go back to the last part of the train to beat the level, during my first playthrough I was searching everywhere trying to find what the button at the front did. I think you should make it a bit more obvious that the door opened because it's hard to tell. Also, I was surprised you didn't spawn a few baddies in the map after the button is pressed to give the player something to shoot at on their way back. Overall, a cool map, but I think it needs a bit more oomph.

Thoughts on Map02:

Ok, this one was pretty cool! The beginning was pretty confusing until I realized I could jump. It was also strange how the map would lock doors behind you and force you on certain paths. Other than that, the fights were pretty cool and the ending was rad. It was awesome to see the beginning of the next map in the map before it.

Alright, that's I'm playing today, I'll do more tomorrow. 

Thanks for the input. I'll spawn an imp or two in MAP01 so people know to head back.

Update: MAP 10 is complete. Wad link on first post updated.

WARNING: Map11 is going to take a long time so this is all for now.

Map 10 features:

-Dark rooms and hitscanners

-Lots of text

-TNT music

Other changes:

-Added a new secret in MAP09

-Fixed mapping errors in MAP09

-Fleshed out the secrets in MAP09

UPDATE: MAP11 was skipped and MAP12 is now done. MAP11 has a player start and an exit. I recommend playing it for the text screen between Map 11 and 12.

MAP 12 feature:

-Train Map

-More Text

-Me not caring

Other Changes:

-Mixed mapping errors in MAP10

-Removed Autoaim from Dtex Sniper

-Fixed an oversight on MAP09 which would make it possible to spawn a bunch of imps and a subsequent soul sphere for an unlimited number of times, effectively giving the player unlimited healing.

Here are some MAP12 screenshots:

(New thread pic)

XT4ITeu.png

Cplwr11.png

mbfcYpO.png

o7CKbaT.png

Old Thread pic:

Spoiler

JTeVr8z.png

Edited by Zulk RS

Damn it's been a while.  can't believe it took me this long to finish one map. Seriously hoping that doesn't happen again. Anyway, finished MAP13 (took long enough)

MAP13 features:
-City Level
-Modified Cyberdemon Boss Fight
-Heavy on the secrets

Other Changes:
-Changed up the final room in MAP12 to be more bearable.
-Fixed some broken teleports in MAP12

-Added More detail to a room in MAP10

MAP13 Screenshots:

7BRhncP.png

uc7lw1T.png

WIWB7MS.png

Again, front page has been updated with the link to version 0.13 which is the latest version as of this post. Again really sorry it took more than a fucking year to get back to this but... yeah.

Firstly, I must apologize to the 6 people who had decided to keep an eye on this project and saw this post, thinking MAP14 is done. It is not. I do not have any updated link this time like I usually do whenever I post here. 

The reason I posted is because I just couldn't resist showing off the new room(s) that I made. Thank you Ribbiks' Stardate 20x6 and GZDoom Mouselook for teaching me how to layer my Ceilings to make my maps look awesome. Because of Mouselook, I stopped and inspected the architecture of Stardate 20x6 very closely and from different angles not common for vanilla gameplay. It's because of that I figured out just what was going on in the map's architecture and thus was able to port a very very crude version of it in to my own map making.

Now enough of that. Here's the room I was so hyped to show off.

Screenshot_Doom_20210312_221910.png.c3146ca6372b94aeab13755acd09dc2f.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210312_222016.png.971d16e551e24ee4280e5d550071c348.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210312_222005.png.e26db3500050e906cbeac5b94724fad3.pngScreenshot_Doom_20210312_221940.png.8ac94c3fd5db1cbe7adfcd58a6fea6de.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210312_221954.png.df492ea477b6afaae647e66b94c2747e.png

And in case you're wondering if this is a water level or not? Here's a quote from Hell Invasion Guy himself:

Screenshot_Doom_20210312_221407.png.e6408b7212f0569634eb06f70495739d.png

So I still haven't finished MAP14 but... I have finished MAP24. Got hit with a surge of inspiration for that map in particular and it is my best map to date. Link has been updated

I am going to delete MAP14 and start over with that.

But before that... MAP15 is done! Link has been updated. Gameplay-wise, I would say this is the last map that follows the old "General Appeal" style design I was trying (and failing) with Hell Invasion. Any map I make after this one (and ones I delete and remake like MAPs 3, 4, 5 and 14 ) will follow a similar gameplay style to MAP24.

In the end, MAP15 didn't turn out how I envisioned it in my head but unlike most other maps that don't turn out how I want them to, I am actually pretty satisfied with the current version of MAP15. There are few points which I do think is annoying but other than that the map is okay-ish.

MAP 31 is done.

It's not very hard but it does have a shit ton of those "Press use to examine" furniture. Hope you enjoy.

Damn, everyone was bashing you in the beginning of the thread, but these do look good. I think you might have improved a lot since you started this. 

19 minutes ago, DoomGappy said:

Damn, everyone was bashing you in the beginning of the thread, but these do look good. I think you might have improved a lot since you started this. 

I mean it was kinda warranted. And yeah I have improved in my architecture and map design. Combat design though has gotten "Worse" (Worse because I have now started making maps that appeal to me and that tends to mean that combat is not that... "exciting")

41 minutes ago, Zulk RS said:

I mean it was kinda warranted. And yeah I have improved in my architecture and map design. Combat design though has gotten "Worse" (Worse because I have now started making maps that appeal to me and that tends to mean that combat is not that... "exciting")

That's excellent. As long as you put in effort and make something you truly enjoy, someone else is bound to enjoy it too. I'll try to give this a spin later when I get the time. 

Cool. Hope you like it. Be sure to play with jumping, crouching and freelook. Also turn infinitely-tall actors off. Many maps are literally impossible to complete (way to progress is unreachable/ some fights are impossible) without doing that.