Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

Disappointed with the monster designs

Piper Maru said:

Well, what do you want us to do about it?

Nothing short of remaking them using the original clay, resin and latex models, of course. What was that? Latex degrades and now they are junk? Well...3D-print new ones or something.

Oh wait...clay/resin ones are too rigid for posing and would require too much manual editing? Well, put in the elbow grease, dammit!

What? Some of the original monsters didn't even have models and were entirely hand-drawn? Well...make them from scratch you lazy bums!

Yeah, that'll teach 'em, amirite?

I think the new monsters look way cooler than in Doom 3 but with that being said I think the game has another potential problem on it's hands that always bugged me.

The enemies are really difficult to tell apart save from a few. At first I couldn't tell imps apart from the zombies without looking really hard. And the Hellknights (or are those barons?) looked like beefier versions of the imps and not really that different from Doom 3.

Some monsters they nailed though, I know the Cyberdemon when I see it, same for the Mancubus, Cacodemon, Revenant, the zombies with laser arms (chain gunners?) and I think I can see a pinky in the hell footage.

But original design aside, most of the monsters have the same color scheme so it's still a bit difficult to tell them apart. I would've liked to see more glowy lights like on the Mancubus and maybe some more wires on the cyberdemon like in the original game. They're kinda pale right now.

I fear this homogenous design could make it a bit of a chore to play, I like changes and new things but in the original Doom and Doom 2 you could very easily tell which enemy was which with a quick glance and plan things out in your head; do you dodge? In which order do you attack the monsters? Which weapon do you use, etc. In the new one I'll probably have a hard time knowing when I'm shooting at an imp or a zombie man or a Hellknight.

But like I said, aside form color they're still cooler than in Doom 3. I love 'em.

kelliegator said:

The enemies are really difficult to tell apart save from a few. At first I couldn't tell imps apart from the zombies without looking really hard. And the Hellknights (or are those barons?) looked like beefier versions of the imps and not really that different from Doom 3.

I had the same problem initially. I think a big part of that problem is the more washed out colours.

Classic Doom had enemies that were easy to tell apart, not just due to the designs, but the colouration was a big contributing factor in that too.

When I pause the video at a frame where we get a view of a well-lit Imp, I actually like its design a lot. Very classic Doom inspired. Has smooth skin, is smaller than the Zombies, has actual spikes and it's brown (though still underneath a washed-out yellow filter), while retaining subtle elements of the Doom 3 Imp in terms of giving it a thin, agile appearance.

So basically, I kinda like the new Imp (especially dig the quill-like spikes), but there are definite problems with it that are hard to deny: It's hard to tell apart from other enemies initially. Kinda wish they had designed it with glowing red light emanating from underneath its "eye patches" to try and make it stand out more.

I've just realized that new Doom reminds me of Quake 4 in how uninspired the enemies look. That game was good but when compared to Doom 3 it lacked the amazing art work by the geniuses of Adrian Carmack and Kenneth Scott. This resulted in that dull amateurish look. New Doom gives me a similar feeling. New Mancubus and Cyberdemon would fit in a fan classic Doom remake, they are quite below the standards set by Doom 3.

I for one am in the midst of super fanboy mode, or perhaps I've just gained perspective from not having so many specific desires attached to neo-Doom. After watching the E3 footage numerous times, differentiating between enemies is much easier. To me, the cybernetic augmentations on the humans are right in line with id's aesthetic, which was even present in Wolfenstein 3D (robo Hitler). The monsters are ghoulish looking without having to ape Christian elements. I think we probably need something a bit overtly demonic at some point though, because right now the cyberdemon looks very cuddly (I've mentioned this already in another thread) and I think he's the one that needs to be given the devil treatment.