Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaxxoon R

Metroid Federation Force Space Soccer

I'm fucking speechless. Wait, no I'm not. I hate it. But what do y'all think?

Personally, I feel as if Nintendo had a throw-away idea that they knew wasn't good enough for an IP of its own, so they jammed it into Metroid thinking "Hey, the fans want Metroid, I guess" without realizing that it'd piss them off. It'd be like if Square had shown that FF7 seven trailer only for it to turn out to be some sort of Dissidia game.

Everybody knows I'm a Metroid fanatic but somehow I just don't care either way about this. It's a shameless cash grab using a well-known franchise's name, but it's not worth getting pissed off about either. Mainly this might be because I'm resigned to the idea that the best Metroid games already got made. If they made a new real one now, they'd just fuck it up again somehow. Even the last time Retro spoke on the matter, the ideas they had sounded like garbage. I'd rather the series be left alone than destroyed any further.

Also, hey it COULD be worse. They could have showed us "Metroid: Another M". <:P

Wow I haven't seen graphics like that since N64. If I'm a kid I'd be more into it, but it looks rushed and cheap so whatever. I haven't played a Metroid since GBA and won't be playing any anytime soon.

It will be big internationally I guess... kudos Nintendo.

I remember seeing Blast Ball at the Nintendo Tourney, but I thought it was a stand alone game. I had no idea it was at all related to Metroid. I thought it looked like a fun spin on sports games, but I didn't know that was going to be our new Metroid title. Eh, I don't play the franchise anyways.

After playing Super Metroid and the Prime games, I don't feel the need to play any more Metroid games. Simply because nothing can compare to those games.

At first when i read the title it comes out in my mind this:

So... thanks Nintendo for ruining your own best titles?

Fulgrim said:

After playing Super Metroid and the Prime games, I don't feel the need to play any more Metroid games. Simply because nothing can compare to those games.

I kind of feel the same way with Super Mario World and Mario in general. At the same time though, I am really interested in trying Mario 3D World at some point because the Crash-like gameplay style appeals to me and is something I haven't experienced yet in a Mario game, not to mention all the creativity that run throughout the game.

My main point is, there's a lot of potential for Metroid if they'd just go about it intelligently and creatively, but that's likely never going to happen now that they've fucked it all up so bad. The series might better off be one of those things better left alone until they have some really good reasons to dust it off.

Holy shit that video got more disliked than animal abuse videos :-)

Fulgrim said:

Yep, the demise of a once so great franchise.

I didn't realize that it was a "Metroid" game til the name was slapped on the trailer.

Really Nintendo?

Metroid Prime Hunters on the original DS is more of a Metroid game than this atrocious game that Nintendo is currently developing.

*signs* I guess I have to wait even much longer for a new 2D Metroid game if they ever care to make one :(

So uh... I'd recommend you all should really check the comment section on the trailer if you haven't already --trust me it's really interesting. There's some Japanese folks cropping up out of nowhere all of a sudden, my guess it's to see all the hate for the game. It really is fascinating.

My favorite comment so far is "糞げーw," basically meaning "Shit game lol."

Then there's some weird rant on uh... I think the oversexualization of Samus I guess and uh... the creature design in general or something? But I'm not really even sure I really know or if I even should.

On further consideration, it's the same situation as Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts. Not necessarily a bad game by any means, but nobody asked for it and it ended up being offered to people after a long absence of the series instead of what people really wanted. It'd be like Nintendo stopped making Mario games for years, then hype and rumor built for a new Mario game being revealed, and they go out on stage and roll out Mario Party 11. Shit would die.

Fulgrim said:

hey now, Zero Mission and Fusion can't be that sub-par in comparison, can they?

i was planning to get a 3DS whenever a new Metroid game hit the platform (and Advance Wars, if that'd ever happen again), but obviously i'm not going to get one for this game. way to go, Nintendo.

Jaxxoon R said:

On further consideration, it's the same situation as Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts. Not necessarily a bad game by any means, but nobody asked for it and it ended up being offered to people after a long absence of the series instead of what people really wanted. It'd be like Nintendo stopped making Mario games for years, then hype and rumor built for a new Mario game being revealed, and they go out on stage and roll out Mario Party 11. Shit would die.

the thing about Nuts & Bolts is that the trailer promised one thing (another collectahon game starring the pair of goofballs), but the actual game was something completely different and shat all over BK's legacy. i don't know if Nintendo announced this thing earlier with the promises of a cool new Metroid game and then it turned out to be this joke.

>Metroid gets a spin off, mainline title status is unknown
>F-Zero hasn't had a game in 11 years
>Star Fox Zero looks like shit

suffering

It looks like it might be fun in and of itself, but the Metroid branding is a real misstep.
I was planning on getting a 3DS sometime soon, just so I can play Smash whilst on the move, so I'll be interested to see where this game goes.

Doomhuntress said:

hey now, Zero Mission and Fusion can't be that sub-par in comparison, can they?

I have yet to play Zero Mission or Fusion. Though I have several people who are pushing me to play both. So at some point, I'll give them a shot.

I think this game will come out, be a complete flop and Nintendo will shelf Metroid again for several years or indefinitely. I don't see this mess playing out any other way.

It will also be a yet another prime example of Nintendo's track record for the past few years. Nintendo does something they know will fail and they find a way to punish their fans when it does fail.

Not sure if I'm missing something, but that trailer read to me more as some sort of team squad shooter, with the soccer game as a bonus/minigame sort of thing rather than being the main game.

And now there's a petition that's up to get the game cancelled. Not to sure but if this game does get cancelled, wouldn't that make Nintendo think to not make any Metroid game again? Then the fanboys will be crying about how they waited (random amount of years) for a new Metroid game and got nothing.

There's no way Nintendo will cancel this game just because of some petition. I think it's mostly there as another vector to show Nintendo how much they fucking hate this game and don't want uninspired Mii-lookin' dudes running around in what should be an atmospheric, Aliens-inspired series.

A slap in the face to people who have been waiting for an actual Metroid game.
However, it looks like an okay game to wind down with.