Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Der Gillster

Have you ever explored other high schools?

Have you ever done this when away on sports or clubs? You are inside a high school you have never been in, and suddenly you have an urge to see what's behind the hallway. I know, yeah more lockers and classrooms, but I often wonder what the inside of this high school looks like.

You know just being curious. You know how your high school works, but isn't it ever interesting to just see how other high schools are setup. Maybe some are simple, while others are like a giant maze that would be fun to get lost in?

Have you ever had an experience of exploring a high school besides your own?

My sister played a lot of sports, and for a while I went to them. Sports were terribly boring, so sometimes I would spend time checking out the halls, just to see what was going on. During a band concert at another High School, when we were done playing, I just explored the whole school. I even ran into my cousin who was pretty surprised to see me. Funny enough, he never really questioned why I just turned up in his school one day. I assume he found out, but it was never brought up.

Clonehunter said:

My sister played a lot of sports, and for a while I went to them. Sports were terribly boring, so sometimes I would spend time checking out the halls, just to see what was going on. During a band concert at another High School, when we were done playing, I just explored the whole school. I even ran into my cousin who was pretty surprised to see me. Funny enough, he never really questioned why I just turned up in his school one day. I assume he found out, but it was never brought up.

Thank you for taking this thread seriously, most people thought I was trolling. It seems as if people on this forum take shit seriously.

Well, I'm way past my high school years, but if for some reason I enter a school building (usually elections, public examinations or similar activities) I am always curious enough to see what the classes, desks, hallways, libraries etc. look like, even the toilets.

For one, I noticed that at least elementary schools look a lot nicer than they did during my time, with a lot of motivational posters, pupils' projects exposed in the hallways etc. which indicates that at least now they are somewhat more involved.

I have, but then I'm a teacher and I've worked in 16 schools over and above the ones that I attended as a student and I've been to meetings and training sessions in many others on top of that. ;)

Der Gillster said:

Have you ever had an experience of exploring a high school besides your own?

Not so much other schools, but i'd love to go back to my old schools and see what has changed after all these years. The nostalgia would be pretty overwhelming, seeing my old classrooms and playgrounds. Although i'd never go back to my high school, those were my worst years in education. Middle school was the best, though first school i can only remember very little bit but even so, it's crazy remembering them so specifically decades later.

Those were the days.

Used to do it a lot back in middle/early high school. I'd go to tennis matches where I wasn't needed, track meets where I'd have hours to kill, and swim meets that were held at 7 PM or later when the rest of the school is empty. I used to explore a lot when those opportunities came around.

I've been in nearly every school in the district, and something about their architecture has always interested me. I think the most interesting one I saw was when I was in the Venture program in 4th grade. It was a education program for gifted kids which unfortunately lost funding the year after. Every Friday I went to this elementary school which was brand new at the time. It was roughly circular, with two floors. Classrooms were arranged around the outer walls, but the center of the school was the library, which was positioned between the floors. Around it were several open computer labs in the big central area. The classrooms were all open to the central area as well, and many of the classroom walls could be taken down to open them up even further.

There were laser disc players in every classroom and a scanner in the library. Basically, it was the epitome of early 90s technology and education philosophy. It saddens me to think that these days its probably just used to train kids to take standardized tests.

Danarchy said:

I've been in nearly every school in the district, and something about their architecture has always interested me. I think the most interesting one I saw was when I was in the Venture program in 4th grade. It was a education program for gifted kids which unfortunately lost funding the year after. Every Friday I went to this elementary school which was brand new at the time. It was roughly circular, with two floors. Classrooms were arranged around the outer walls, but the center of the school was the library, which was positioned between the floors. Around it were several open computer labs in the big central area. The classrooms were all open to the central area as well, and many of the classroom walls could be taken down to open them up even further.

There were laser disc players in every classroom and a scanner in the library. Basically, it was the epitome of early 90s technology and education philosophy. It saddens me to think that these days its probably just used to train kids to take standardized tests.

Dude, I could not have anything better than that. Yes, it is all about the architecture. You are just curious to see how it looked on the inside. Also, wow every classroom having laser disc players. back in the 90's that would have been sick to see! It does bother me how you said it's more likely using those room for just standard tests.

I'm getting a bit old for that, they'd probably think I was a pedo looking for a child to snatch.

I remember getting lost in my secondary school on the first few days I went there. Thankfully having good navigation and spacial awareness helped me get over that in about a week. I haven't really "explored" any other schools though, but I have been to my sister's secondary school (I went to an all-boys school which had a sister all-girls school a short 5 minute drive up the road from each other), but as I said, I didn't really explore it. I only went there because my parents dragged me to my sister's music stuff that I didn't really care about as well as one time when they had a fire brigade and a barbecue or something (I was really young, I just remember they had the big red trucks).