Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Gaming Confessional Booth

This thread works just like the other one, except this is for non-Doom confessions. Let's see if it catches on...

• I've never played a Final Fantasy game in my life, and I've never been given a reason to think I'm missing out on anything
  • Ditto Zelda, StarCraft, and probably a few other famous series I can't remember right now
  • I find Minecraft weird and boring, and not at all like people evangelize it as being
  • I enjoy playing first person shooters with a gamepad
  • I've bought several games in Steam sales that I've played for like 15 minutes and never touched again
  • Call of Duty isn't THAT bad; at least MP is fun for 60 hours or so

I'm sick of hearing how Half Life is so great. I love Opposing force, and Half Life 2 and the episodes are some of my favorite games, but it really gets on my nerves to hear people talk about how "amazing" it is without criticism or a legit argument.

Two smaller things:
I prefer Unreal Tournament over Quake 3 Arena, By far.

FPS games are really the only games can I enjoy. I'm not a fan of MMO's, I never play platformers or arcade games, and I DESPISE "casual" games.

That's all I can think of right now.

• Same on Final Fantasy, more or less. I never made it more than 20 minutes into FF6, or 3...whatever the hell number it was. It's difficult for JRPGs to hold my attention.
  • I find ARPGs like Diablo dull due to incredible amounts of grind and mindless combat. In fact, I think the genre would be greatly improved if they took hints from MOBAs like League, and focused more on the mechanics than the endless grind.
  • Same goes for MMORPGs, with the added bonus of having way too many skills to keep track of. I don't want to play a game of watching timers and hitting number keys when they hit zero.
  • I think Command and Conquer was a better series than Warcraft, at least until shit like Red Alert 3.
  • Never played through Neverwinter Nights because I found the awkward, dated 3D constantly pulled me out of the experience. I think that's the only older 3D game to date that's done that to me. I think it would have been better if it used the same style as Baldur's Gate.
  • I'll immediately judge a game harshly if it tries too hard to be quirky. Borderlands 2 and BattleBlock Theater are examples. It grates on me the same way the "penguin of doom" copypasta does.
  • I like survival/sandbox as a concept. I hate every single implementation of it.
  • I think VNs can be a worthwhile use of time, it's just that 90% of everything in the world is shit. Also, the genre, at least in Japan, has cornered itself by trying to pander to an incredibly fickle, small market, and pandering to them will almost always lead to producing something bad. Thus why the most "successful" VNs are crap about loli catgirls in heat while the decent ones will, at best, get an incredibly bad adaption.
Oh thought of two more:
  • I hate most rouge-likes, at least ones that rely almost entirely on RNG to construct the experience. Mostly, I hate RNG, and especially hate heavy punishments for crap out of my control.
  • I'm horrendous at platformers, but some of my favorite games are platformers.

Ye, I tried some JRPGs (Suikoden, Fantasy Star and maybe some other) but never really got into the fighting mechanics. I always felt like my choices in the fights didn't really matter that much most of the time: who cares if this guy attacks that guy or that guy, my party is overall stronger overall, I probably can just spam buttons randomly and win anyway. It's like it doesn't matter whether you play well or not, and simply with enough time spent on leveling up you'll beat the game no matter how dumb you are. I didn't finish these games though, maybe they get harder at the end, dunno.

Then I also tried Disgaea and it seemed a lot more interesting in this aspect, but maybe a bit too complex this time. :D It could be that I was just sleepy that day but I got quite confused during the tutorial stage and didn't play much further. Maybe I'll try again, it seems like it might be fun.

About Final Fantasy I am the opposite, I played all the first 9 games and pretty much are the only RGPs I have ever played. HL2 is too much overrated. Unreal 1 is better than Half Life 1.

SavageCorona said:

I streamed a lot of Barbie.

W-why?

My internet is too shitty to do a serious stream so I just fucked about with Barbie.

I think it also makes it look worse when they're both above this game in terms of my playtime.

DoomUK said:

• I've never played a Final Fantasy game in my life, and I've never been given a reason to think I'm missing out on anything
  • Ditto Zelda, StarCraft, and probably a few other famous series I can't remember right now
  • I find Minecraft weird and boring, and not at all like people evangelize it as being

This and now mine's:[list]

• I love games with excessive gore and blood, because i'm a thirty carnage guy.
  • I hate games that require mouse aim, this is, being forced to use mouse to turn around instead of using keyboard to do so.
  • I really hate games that punish you hard for mistakes you haven't done, enough to the point you throw your keyboard or controller out of rage and frustation, that's awful.
  • I play games on easiest, so i can unlock everything a game has and then replay it on hardest.
  • I hate people saying that Half-Life 1 and 2 are great, it's awful to hear that again and again.
  • And for final, i don't like and hate fanboys, because they are a cause to why some games suck.
  • And i forgot something, i love to troll zandronum players when i see a change to do so, cuz' lulz.

Fanboys are why Valve games aren't that great alongside the fact they're not that great. The actually decent games I enjoy from Valve aren't even made by Valve, and even then they're ruined by the community. Prime example CSGO.

- I would rather play any Dragon Warrior game than any Final Fantasy game.
    - I have beaten all 3 Uncharteds, but not the portables.
    - I own all of the God of Wars, yet I've only played and completed the first PS2 game and the first PSP game.
    - I have beaten Duke Forever, Legendary, Daikatana and Aliens: Colonial Marines twice.
    - I have grown to hate grind games. This includes Souls games, Borderlands and River City Ransom.
    - I have never played Final Fantasy 7 longer than 5 minutes.
    - I have never played any Bioshock or System Shock games, yet I own them all.
    - I have played through Doom 3 ten times. Yes I know only ten.
    - I play games on normal difficulty, unless its too easy, then I play on a higher difficulty.
    - I have played through GTA 3, GTA VC, GTA SA multiple times, but never played through GTA 4 even if I own it on several platforms.
    - I own Plants vs Zombies 1 in a dozen places. Plants vs Zombies 2 is free and won't let me unlock the final area even though I have a key.
    - I have gotten 50 games for free to review
    - I have gone through Half-Life 2 episode 2 carrying the gnome.
    - I have gone through Half-Life 2's Ravenholm carrying the Ravenholm sign, using only it as a weapon.
    - I have completed Contra 1 without dying, the trick is the machine gun.
    - I have completed Gradius 1, which is much more difficult
    - I used to complete Contra 3 every day for my friend's little brother before Youtube was a thing.
    - I will often not like games so much as I like its presentation. Games such as Super Meat Boy, Braid, Sonic 1 and Limbo come to mind.
    - I loved Walking Dead... until I played it a second and third time for people. Choices mean very little to nothing.
    - I have been harassed by game developers or their real life friends for bad reviews.
    - I have spent so much time in Morrowind, Oblivion, Sims 1 & 2 that I can't get into Skyrim, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Sims 3 & 4.
    - MOBAs against other humans bores me to tears after 20 minutes. Thankfully I have plenty of Steam friends that demand I play MOBAs with them.
    - I hate traditional dungeon crawlers.
    - Open world games have started to bore me.
    - I have 2,500+ hours in Team Fortress 2 with 200+ MVM tours on expert. I thank this forum for recommending the game years ago when it went free.
    - I have tried to get through Final Fantasy 8 three times and failed. I kept wondering why do people love this game? Then one day I noticed its VIII and not VII.
    - I don't like Resident Evil 1 and feel like its greatly overrated like several indie darlings.
    - I have never played Resident Evil 4.
    - I like Mario 2, Zelda 2 and I feel like people don't like them because they stray too far from their original formula.
    - My girlfriend convinced me to play Candy Crush, I got 100 or so levels in, then she started nagging me about it, so I deleted it. It was the right thing to do.
    - I have never played a Call of Duty.

- You can chalk me up as another in the Half-Life sucks / Valve sucks camp.
    - I've never seriously played an Ultima game. I saw Spoony's series on them, thought "wow, I really missed out", bought the entire series off of GOG when there was a sale up, and still haven't touched them more than to poke at the intro or first area. I think part of me is worried that they're a "you had to have been there" sort of thing.
    - I haven't played a single console that came out after the N64 / PS1 era, unless you count handhelds (GBA).
    - Relatedly, I hated most of the polygon graphics of that era, even when they were new.
    - I like the Witchaven games enough that I replay them periodically, and have what's quite likely the world's most extensive Witchaven fanpage (not that there's much competition in that arena...)
    - I probably like Zelda 2 better than Zelda 1, and Diablo 1 better than Diablo 2.
    - I like to collect shovelware level discs (not just for Doom) even when I know most of the levels will probably be lousy.
    - I would rather buy a used CD-ROM than a new digital download.
    - But when I do have to go digital, I am one of those GOGers who refuses to have anything to do with Steam. (Not that GOG is all sunshine and roses either, especially nowadays).
    - Since people mentioned them a few times, I haven't played FF7 or CoD either, but they're pretty much in the "don't give a damn" category for me.

- I hate turn based games.
    - I don't like Mario in any form.
    - I strap people to propane tanks in Just Cause 2 and gain immense satisfaction out of it.
    - I like Fallout Tactics.
    - I am a console peasant, I will most probably never own a "real" PC.
    - I drive on the path.
    - I can't be arsed with JRPG games and shit (even the non-turn based ones).
    - I think Sonic sucks and is a terrible series.
    - I enjoy playing awful games, Sonic 06 was my favorite out of the Sonic franchise (and the only one I "enjoyed".
    - Halo is one of my favorite series.
    - Quake 4 wasn't that bad.
    - I put a lot of time into DNF multiplayer, have no fucking clue why.
    - I play RTS games on easy because I suck.
    - I never liked Resident Evil or Silent Hill, they are boring to me.
    - I fly planes into buildings on purpose in most games.
    - I really need to finish L.A. Noire but I really don't want to fuck something up and fail to 100% the case (I have a nasty habit of restarting if I fail one question in an interrogation).
    - I think Dishonored sucked hard.
    - I never liked mobile games.
    - I never finished Duke Nukem Total Meltdown's E4.
    - I am a filthy tryhard on online games.
    - I purchased DLC for Destiny.

To list just a few.

When I was a kid, I used to tell people that Super Nintendo was the best system. Though, secretly, I was very jealous that I did not have a Sega Genesis. Not that SNES was bad; I just wanted both. But truthfully, I thought Sega had cooler games.

I had beaten Shaq Fu multiple times. One day after beating it, I laid the cartridge down in the middle of the street, and watched it get run over by a car.

Once I borrowed Civilization II from my friend. But one day, I brought the CD to school with me, and for some reason (I forget) I smashed it into a million pieces. My friend of whom I had borrowed it from, found the shattered pieces shortly after in the hallway. Though I did not address it with him; we still continued to be friends despite that. That whole situation remains hazy to me. Eh, fuck that dude anyway.

Kontra Kommando said:

When I was a kid, I used to tell people that Super Nintendo was the best system. Though, secretly, I was very jealous that I did not have a Sega Genesis. Not that SNES was bad; I just wanted both. But truthfully, I though Sega had cooler games.

Back in the day, I asked my parents for a Sega Genesis as either a birthday or Christmas gift (I think Christmas, but not totally sure.) I got a Game Gear. Never really was sure if it was an "it was cheaper" type thing or if they actually didn't know the difference.

I have only beaten a handful of games in my Steam library.
    I have actually bought useless items, such as clothing, from a f2p mmo item shop.
    I actually really enjoyed Duke Nukem: Forever.
    I ended up dating a woman I meet while playing wow.
    I still have a modified xbox with a hard drive full of roms/emulators in.
    I lost interest in console gaming during the xbox/ps2 days and see no reason to get back into console gaming.
    I think Final Fantasy, Dynasty Warriors and several other popular series should be killed off.
    I think Sega should sell the Sonic rights to Nintendo and be done with it.
    Raven software became one of my most hated developers when they started working on COD stuff.
    I have little to no faith left in Id at this point. Because everyone that made Id an amazing developer is gone.

I actually really like CoD Black Ops
    I've never played a FF game or a Zelda game
    I have never played Star Craft
    I think Quake II is on par, if not better, than Quake I.
    I have never touched several of the big Nintendo franchises actually, like Metroid, or Star Fox. I've only barely scraped Mario games. Mario Kart is fun though.
    I really don't like platformers. I try to like all genres and be fair with everything, but I can't stomach most platformers. There are a few exceptions, but even then I often don't play them for long.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Back in the day, I asked my parents for a Sega Genesis as either a birthday or Christmas gift (I think Christmas, but not totally sure.) I got a Game Gear. Never really was sure if it was an "it was cheaper" type thing or if they actually didn't know the difference.

I had a game gear as well, with a bunch of games. I recall I got a lot of mileage out of this game; it was strangely addicting:

-Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits has the best actual gameplay out of any turn-based RPG I've ever played. It's just fun to lure enemies into lining up in weird ways and hitting them all with one attack.

-The N64 was a stupid console with ugly games.

-Skylanders makes me sad because Spyro. Poor Spyro, man.

Kontra Kommando said:

When I was a kid, I used to tell people that Super Nintendo was the best system. Though, secretly, I was very jealous that I did not have a Sega Genesis. Not that SNES was bad; I just wanted both. But truthfully, I thought Sega had cooler games.

I had beaten Shaq Fu multiple times. One day after beating it, I laid the cartridge down in the middle of the street, and watched it get run over by a car.

Once I borrowed Civilization II from my friend. But one day, I brought the CD to school with me, and for some reason (I forget) I smashed it into a million pieces. My friend of whom I had borrowed it from, found the shattered pieces shortly after in the hallway. Though I did not address it with him; we still continued to be friends despite that. That whole situation remains hazy to me. Eh, fuck that dude anyway.

I never understood people's compulsion to destroy Shaq Fu and that organization to destroy it or at least accept donations. Destroying Shaq Fu reminds me of well book burnings and burning other forms of art.

How does one smash a CD to a million pieces? Do you mean the cover? Its extremely difficult to destroy a CD into pieces. I've had to do it a few times for work.

Kontra Kommando said:

I had a game gear as well, with a bunch of games. I recall I got a lot of mileage out of this game; it was strangely addicting:

Wow, that was one of the few games I had on it, too! I don't recall if I actually beat it ever, but I think I got into the pretty late levels at least.

This also made me recall how it had a slightly scary cover illustration.
    Looks like it was a case of what TVTropes likes to call "American Kirby is hardcore".

I used to play this one a lot as well.

Damn, I forgot how cool that intro song was!

EDIT: I don't remember that cave woman with those huge tits either. lol

Its funny the things you notice when you get older.

SavageCorona said:

Same.

I also thought Resident Evil 6 was a decent movie game.

I thought Resident Evil 3 the movie was a decent Mad Max game and the next Resident Evil: Prison Edition movie was a decent version of Alien 3. Landing a plane on a roof? Go for it. Then when Resident Evil 5 was Aeon Flux... perfect sense. It just keeps jumping from cult classic to cult classic.

The best part about the movies are the last 5 minutes leading into the next movie, same thing with Game of Thrones.

To be fair Resident Evil as a whole is fucking hilariously cheesy, both in the movies and games. It's the only reason I'm a fan of it, since RE4 was the only game I truly liked, alongside RE6 being pretty OK as a game based on its own merits.