Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

32-bit on 64-bit

I'm gonna get my laptop replaced soon but I plan on abandoning the 32-bit version of Windows 7 I've been using for the last 3 years in favor of the 64-bit one.

Why have I been using 32-bit? Basically just the one program. Cakewalk Express 3.02. My midi creation/editing program. Which unfortunately refuses to launch or install on 64-bit OSes.

Kind of ridiculous that that's the only reason, yes. And as uncooperative as it may sound, I do not wish to migrate to another program, as Cakewalk Express is by this point extremely easy for me to use, has virtually no limitations, and very quickly helps me determine if a MIDI is broken or something's wrong or whatever. It's basically the main reason I am able to whip up tracks super quickly. You can see me using it here. (I've been streaming it more recently too, making speedmidis with Alfonzo, but apparently those didn't stay up. :/)

Therefore the easiest thing would be for me to be still be able to run Cakewalk within a 64-bit system. Can I use a virtual machine or something similar that emulates a 32-bit environment so the program will run? I have sent a technical help request to Cakewalk's site, but I feel like my problem is super niche since I'm using such an ancient and outdated version of the program, and I doubt I'm gonna get a good answer that isn't "UPGRADE, YOU DOOF".

Any help or pointers, guys?

32 bit programs can run natively on a 64-bit machine with Windows 7 and later (maybe Vista too??)

Don't worry it's all backwards compatible it's not like Microsoft decided to make Windows not backward compatible too. 32-bit apps just use up a limited amount of your resources, making them slower than they potentially can be on 64-bit.

I think he clearly said, that this application DOES NOT WORK!
So why are you ignoring that most important bit of information?

Of course, WELL WRITTEN 32 bit code still works, but imagine something that's doing some bad low level hackery that just assumes the presence of certain resources that will inevitably be different on a 64 bit system.

No change, getting something like that to work.

Jimmy said:

I feel like my problem is super niche since I'm using such an ancient and outdated version of the program, and I doubt I'm gonna get a good answer that isn't "UPGRADE, YOU DOOF".

If only every community was like Doomworld, where the most obscure details about something are, typically, intimately understood.

Anyway, every 32-bit program I have works fine on 64-bit Windows, and I have quite a lot of them. Cakewalk should work fine too, but I guess there are exceptions. Virtual machines are an option. Would it be too cumbersome to use your current laptop whenever you want to use this one program?

The odd thing here is that there has never been a problem with running 32bit software on 64bit Windows, compatibility or otherwise. It all runs natively as is.
What you can't do is run 16bit software. Is it possible you've confused the origin of the software?

Either way, chucking a 32bit OS on a VM guest will get the job done in terms of compatability. MIDI compatability tends to be a different story with VMs, although one would expect anything modern wouldn't have a problem.

Yes, there are cases where 64-bit Windows is incompatible with old apps. Rare, but it happens.

Download VirtualBox and install 32-bit Windows 7 in a virtual machine, it should be possible to keep using the program through that (you'll even be able to run 16-bit apps in the VM).

You could also set up the windows VM on your current 32 bit install and migrate the VM to your 64bit install when you know it's working.

I wasn't sure from reading whether the app itself fails in 64 bit or whether its installer is what is broken. If it's only the installer you could also try copying the app program folder into a 64 bit VM and running that... but you probably can't run a 64 bit windows VM on 32 bit windows.

Another thing worth trying is 'seamless mode' http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Windows7SeamlessAppsInWindowsVirtualPCVirtualXPAndApplicationCompatibility.aspx

Cakewalk Express 3.02 might be 16-bit. Early versions of the Cakewalk sequencer were originally made to run on DOS, and certainly this version has a dated interface, with only 16 colors available in its palette. I have definitely had problems getting this program to even install on a 32-bit system (but copying the file folder seems to work just fine for running it), and it outright won't run on 64-bit.

chungy: VirtualBox, got it. Thanks, I'll try that once I get my new laptop. :)

Jimmy said:

Cakewalk Express 3.02 might be 16-bit.

Ah. That'll definitely not work in 64 bit mode.

I've had vst plugins get cranky over 64bit. FL Studio 12 seems to have mitigated most of those problems, though.

I finally bothered to get the Fruity Edition legally. Probably the best decision I've made in a long time.

edit: A wee off topic, but do you have any workflow vids of you making midis? It would be nice to watch.

BlackFish said:

edit: A wee off topic, but do you have any workflow vids of you making midis? It would be nice to watch.

First post.

Weird, my post disappeared. Didn't get Helled or anything...

Anyway - I use Cakewalk Pro 6.01. XP Mode won't work. I recommend going on eBay or Craigslist and picking up a netbook as a dedicated XP machine. Even the earliest ones will run any program too old for x64 like butter. The netbook fad is over and you can get one for peanuts. I did all my Plutonia and TNT2 tracks on my Dell Mini. Hell, make me an offer.

Better yet, invest in a nice P2/P3 laptop and run Win98SE on it. You can browse DW and play native DOS games on the same machine, nothing better than that. There was a nice Compaq laptop on eBay with an Ensoniq OPL3 sound chip... can't be bothered to find the link again, but yeah.

Just dual-boot... (Might have to make xp the 32-bit O.S since trying to dual-boot the same two editions of windows might get messy)