Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheDoomedMarine

GZDoom equivalent source port for Quake/Quake II?

Does anyone know if there is a GZDoom equivalent of a source port for Quake and Quake II? I play Doom using the GZDoom source port and I'm comfortable with it.

http://quakeone.com/

That's the best community for Quake. There are many source ports for both games, start with Darkplaces or read their guide, I remember they had one.

For Quake it's Darkplaces obviously, as for Quake II it's either KMQuake II or Q2XP.
Although Darkplaces comes to mind as a GZDoom equivalent.

You could try the graphics enhancing engine Berseker for Quake 2 but the page is in Russian so you'll have to use a translater.

I use the Quake Epsilon mod which runs on Darkplaces and gives the game some fantastic visuals. It's all packaged together, you just have to replace the .pk3 files it comes with (it comes with the shareware .pk3 and some custom music which I actually like more than the original music). It might be a bit of a drain on your PC though, it's fairly intensive on the higher settings, requiring something around a 2011 high end gaming PC.

It's been hard to find a Quake sourceport that I really feel comfortable with. Seems all of them decide to make some kind of change that I don't like. Such as how Darkplaces edits the weapon animations. It would also be nice to have one which I can launch without having to disable bilinear filtering manually every time.

GeckoYamori said:

It would also be nice to have one which I can launch without having to disable bilinear filtering manually every time.

Try this one, if you haven't already:
http://super8.qbism.com/

I really, really liked how clean DirectQ was but the author seemingly quit the internet. I was going to point you to his site but apparently he even removed the CodePlex site it was hosted on :( Someone archived it on https://www.quaddicted.com/files/engines/directq/ though. Version 1.9.0 is very solid and there shouldn't be a problem with the id maps or the official expansions, at the very least. I don't know about custom stuff.

The fact that it uses DirectX makes it run very nice even on older integrated Intel GPUs.

Quake spasm but it's more like chocolate than gzdoom. Also check out the quake injector on quaddicted.com - and play "honey"!

Quakespasm (as well as its predecessor Fitzquake) is more of a GLBoom+ analogue.

GeckoYamori said:

It would also be nice to have one which I can launch without having to disable bilinear filtering manually every time.

Use autoexec.cfg to force settings that aren't being saved between sessions.

GeckoYamori said:

Such as how Darkplaces edits the weapon animations.

Darkplaces edits animations? I thought it just smoothed them out.

SavageCorona said:

Darkplaces edits animations? I thought it just smoothed them out.

It makes them sway left and right Doom style.

Does any of these Quake/Quake II source ports come with controller support? I like playing the Doom games on GZDoom with my wired Xbox 360 controller.

I'm not sure about full 360 controller support but you may be able to bind controller buttons. I wouldn't recommend playing Quake with a controller though. Doom is one thing to play with a controller but Quake is a lot harder to.

Good luck with the controller support -- I was looking into it a while ago and it seems like there hasn't been any real progress beyond the what the vanilla game already supported. Maybe there's been something since, but I wouldn't hold my breath with the biases against them.

When i think off GZDOOM i think about its Graphical upgrade... And my favourite Quake 2 engine for that is Knightmare quake 2 and the additional 32bit texture pack.

Click the image, or right click and open in a new tab for the full size ;

Link to the engine its homepage ;
http://www.markshan.com/knightmare/

And its fast in what it does... those screenshots where taken on a 10 to 12 year old toaster of a replacement pc replacing a newer one with a busted mobo... So those screens aren't even the best you can make Q2 look with kmq2.

TheDoomedMarine said:

Thats a shame, thanks anyway guys. :)

XPadder will solve your worries, I use that to play basically any game I want using a wired 360 controller, or any USB controller really.

Avoozl said:

Ever since I found Berserker KMQ2 is only a secondary to me now.

I know why... Berserker is an extreme graphics upgrade for quake 2.
A lot of people are still stuck, or get stuck with ancient or older hardware so its great to still have good software running on those old machines... so, hail KMQ2 !

FireFish said:

When i think off GZDOOM i think about its Graphical upgrade... And my favourite Quake 2 engine for that is Knightmare quake 2 and the additional 32bit texture pack.

Is it Windows only?

I think it is...
Its open source though, so yet again it makes me wonder why so little of those engines get ported by the hobby programmers...

VGA said:

Try this one, if you haven't already:
http://super8.qbism.com/

I just tried this one. It's very interesting, but seems it still has some ways to go as I noticed a lot of geometry warping around the edges.

What bothers me though is how it still uses those sideways-swaying weapon bob animations. It might seem like such a minor thing to get hung up on but the original animation is such an integral part of the authentic Quake experience for me. I can't seem to find any menu option anywhere for changing these.

Q2PRO Is a pretty great Source Port for Quake II, has Multiplayer, Cel Shadding as well and lighting with It, It's as close to GZDOOM as possible to say the least.