Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Perajorma

Sealed Doom mail order etc. What is it worth?

Hellou!

I was collecting PC big box games couple years ago and then I quitted that stuff. I sold most of my cheap boxes but left some cool ones.
It would be nice to know what might be the current value of some of my Doom items.

1. Sealed Doom mail order. Have there been any for sale lately?

2. Doom mail order German pearl release.

3. Doom mail order with light blue disks, manual etc. missing. Which release is this?

4. Doom Australian retail release.

5. Doom pocket PC release.

6. Doom II japanese retail release, with Doom v.1.666 disk??

7. Other Doom II japanese retail release.

8. Doom II add-on levels small box.

9. Sealed The Ultimate Doom & Quake Carnage 'n' Chaos italian or spanish release.

I have some big boxes etc. of other games too.

Wow, cool stuff!

Perajorma said:

9. Sealed The Ultimate Doom & Quake Carnage 'n' Chaos italian or spanish release.

It's an italian release :)

That sealed doom copy... I paid $150 for opened good copy v1.2 complete with everything and a mail order purchase/packing receipt. It's currently out being signed by Romero and Hall, along with some of my other sealed DOOM and Wolfenstein stuff.

So prolly around $200... they're uncommon, but not rare, as you can see this distributor still has a ton that he's selling (along with hundreds of other id games):

http://forums.my-collections.eu/index.php?topic=577.0

Here's some of my current collection.. I've also purchased about another $2000 worth of stuff recently to replace some of the opened boxes with sealed ones (mainly the quake stuff), as well as additional big box stuff that hasn't arrived yet (depths of doom, more console version, etc).

http://postimg.org/gallery/125xsmhz4/

I'm sending you a PM as I'd like to buy that off you.

miko508 said:

That sealed Doom mail order is gorgeous! Is it still available?

And what are you asking for it?

I'd bite your hand off for the sealed copy, but truthfully, if you only keep one of them, I think you should keep that.

Nostalgia. The first time I played Doom was from a v1.2 floppy install...

I came across a sealed mail order copy on ebay some months back. It sold for more than $1000.

It's insane what some people would pay. I rarely ever see a copy go for under £200 (~$300) these days.

Damn that's a nice collection.
All I've got is an SNES DOOM strategy guide.
It's pretty damn good for its cheese factor.

It's worth whatever someone wants to pay to have it.

chuck it on ebay and make $2000+, or sell it on a box game collecting site for </=$1000

Some box game collecting sites and groups will outright shun or ban you for attempting to charge those prices. In the end, you sell it for whatever someone's willing to pay, but you might lose respect and dignity amongst the collecting crowd (which may or may not ultimately hurt you down the road for any future sales) if you price it unreasonably high.

Realistically, you'll be waiting a while as soon as you break that thousand dollar barrier. Could take months to sell at a price like $2500, if it ever does.

I see german/European sealed mail order copies every now and then popup, with german labels and language on the boxart, however those may hold a bit less value to most collectors.

V1.2 and lower versions of USA sealed DOOM mail order, in mint or excellent condition are what everyone wants to nab, and I would say don't expect to pay any less than $1000 for one of those..... though morally, most are going to say if the seller is selling it for more than a few hundred bucks, the seller is an asshole.

It really breaks down to what kind of person you want to be: (a) the nice guy who settles for less to make someone happy and gets honorable recognition, or (b) the dick who doesn't care about how the rest of the community perceives you and make mega bucks ripping people off.

"Damned if you, damned if you don't" sort of thing.

The Civ said:

Damn that's a nice collection.
All I've got is an SNES DOOM strategy guide.
It's pretty damn good for its cheese factor.

I used to have that. I bought it when I first rented the game from Blockbuster Video. I remember it referred to features in the PC version as if they were in the SNES version, even though they weren't...as if the guy who wrote it (posing on the intro page with chainsaw and bunny slippers) didn't even play the port.

I love all the misspellings and absolutely made up stuff.
Also the fact that one of the first pages in the book has to have a disclaimer saying that it in fact does not promote killing.

The Civ said:

I love all the misspellings and absolutely made up stuff.
Also the fact that one of the first pages in the book has to have a disclaimer saying that it in fact does not promote killing.

I still remember how the secret soul sphere in E1M3 (I think) was misspelled "sour sphere"

Job said:

I still remember how the secret soul sphere in E1M3 (I think) was misspelled "sour sphere"

I don't remember the misspellings, but I remember spectres were listed as enemies, despite never appearing in the port anywhere.

Impie said:

And what are you asking for it?

I certainly wouldn't lowball the seller for such a gem.

Buckshot said:

It's worth whatever someone wants to pay to have it... V1.2 and lower versions of USA sealed DOOM mail order, in mint or excellent condition are what everyone wants to nab, and I would say don't expect to pay any less than $1000 for one of those.

Well said! I'm ready to dish out some serious cash to finally land one of these. Is there ANY way to determine which version is inside? I'm considering weighing the various versions.

miko508 said:

That sealed Doom mail order is gorgeous! Is it still available?

Try asking Buckshot, he may have purchased it back in June. The OP doesn't appear to have posted since then.

GreyGhost said:

Try asking Buckshot, he may have purchased it back in June. The OP doesn't appear to have posted since then.

Attempted to reach the seller the same day he posted... however seller never responded. Since then, I've only seen german sealed copies pop up online... which hold no interest to me.

The only mail order copy I have is a complete unsealed copy... box is in good condition (just some minor wear on box edges), and contents inside are like new (v1.2 disks, manual, addendum, and original softpak distribution center packing sheet with date of purchase and shipping address from 1993). As I had it personally signed by Romero and Hall since this post was made, it's not for sale.

Anyways, I'd say if you're paying over $1300 for sealed... You'd be paying too much (if not already), but again.. that's in the eye of the buyer I guess.

unsealed, as I originally said in my post above, depending on condition, upto $300.

Buckshot said:

Anyways, I'd say if you're paying over $1300 for sealed... You'd be paying too much (if not already), but again.. that's in the eye of the buyer I guess.

It's a shame that the seller vanished. I'm not looking to spend THAT much, but I also understand that I'm not likely to find one for a few hundred dollars.

Hi!
Sorry that I vanished. Didn't notice the messages until I was googling my own username lol :D

Yes, I still have the sealed one. Not sure about the version. I don't think you can tell which release it is. All I know it's not one of those german ones with the huge sticker on back of them.

Perajorma said:

Hi!
Sorry that I vanished. Didn't notice the messages until I was googling my own username lol :D

Yes, I still have the sealed one. Not sure about the version. I don't think you can tell which release it is. All I know it's not one of those german ones with the huge sticker on back of them.

Well, sell the damn thing...

...to me, preferably. ;)

some fine collections, I'd love to have those copies of doom, doom 2, duke 3d and blood. Would be hard to find. really cool stuff

Yes, it is for sale for 1000€ + shipping costs, transaction fees etc.
Converted to USD, I think it's around $1200 including those fees and stuff.

Perajorma said:

Yes, it is for sale for 1000€ + shipping costs, transaction fees etc.
Converted to USD, I think it's around $1200 including those fees and stuff.

Well. that's reasonable. Let's discuss in PM sir

Impie said:

I used to have that. I bought it when I first rented the game from Blockbuster Video. I remember it referred to features in the PC version as if they were in the SNES version, even though they weren't...as if the guy who wrote it (posing on the intro page with chainsaw and bunny slippers) didn't even play the port.

Ah the ole SNES port. I was only 8 when Doom came out and we didn't get our first computer until I was in high school. I rented SNES Doom so many times I probably would've been better off buying it. Loved it, was very creepy and very scary. I could never even beat the first episode on ITYTD, and as I recall you could only play the other episodes on higher difficulty levels. I didn't even realize there were no spectres in it. What other differences were there from the PC version? I know there was something with all the floors being different.

On topic, I don't think it's right for people to scorn a seller for trying to get all he can for a collectible item. I understand the angle, I just don't agree with it. It's a simple function of supply and demand. If someone is willing to pay $2000+ for it, they're not getting ripped off. The seller is in a tough position. Nobody wants to put something up for $150 and find out it normally sells for well beyond that. Then the seller is the one getting ripped off. If you really need money ASAP, you're probably going to have to settle for less than it's worth, but if you can afford to let it sit around for a few months waiting for the right buyer to come along, more power to ya. Free market baby.

GreyGhost said:

Do you still have the Pocket PC version?

Yes, I still have all of them. 20x Doom & Quake box.

Btw guys, do you have any good tips to detect if the box is rewrapped or in original seal?
It seems to be pretty authentic and is from a legit source. But I'd like to be sure that it is an original wrap before I go and resell it as nib.