Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lvangundy

Screenshot from DW in 1999

I took this screenshot in July 1999, because I sent in a "pic of the day" and it was featured on the home page. I was "keithflnt" from efnet #doom2 BTW.

Man, it's been a long time.

Notice the free dial-up internet banner ad service "freei".

My quicklaunch bar had MS FrontPage (yikes) and command prompt shortcuts to play Doom stuff from.

Also, does anyone know if DVS is still around? the #doom2 guys were cracking on him one day about something, and I drew this. I wonder if he remembers it. I can't remember what this was about. hah.

Ling, I remember that design and maybe if you think back far enough, I wrote you for permission to use that theme for my high school intranet page for school news. Ring a bell?

I remember those designs. It wasn't until 2001 that I joined the forums, but I read the front page of Doomworld for a while before then.

Ahh, found another screenshot from July 9th, 1998. This is the old design. This may be the oldest screenshot?

There was some bug in IE that showed doomworld with a Microsoft address (ie40.htm) so I sent that in too.

wowza. I had forgotten doomworld ever looked like that. I wonder if I can find the first newstuff reviews ive ever seen.

That first design would be back in fashion around now!

Anyone remember domworld? Ahem

I always forget just how old the majority (well, perhaps not now with the influx of players from Brutal Doom, Doom 4, mods, etc.) of this community is. Would the community age average be around the 30's?

I remember that design. Those were the days.

Jon said:

That first design would be back in fashion around now!

Anyone remember domworld? Ahem

I remember.

Early 30s yes.

Platinum Shell said:

I always forget just how old the majority (well, perhaps not now with the influx of players from Brutal Doom, Doom 4, mods, etc.) of this community is. Would the community age average be around the 30's?

Doomkid said:

It's strange to note that the "Old DW forums" actually still exist as a seemingly different part of the website altogether.

Why are the two disconnected, what's the story?

The very first instance of the DW forums was based on software called Boardmaster(?) which was entirely Perl CGI / flat file based. No database backend at all.

It soon became clear that this was untenable, so I switched over to... uh... BBHacks, aka BlazeBoard. This was a "proper" PHP/MySQL forum. But then there was some reason why it turned out to suck as well, so eventually Lüt bought a copy of vBulletin for our use.

Because the original forums were flat file based, there was no easy way to port the posts over to the new forum, so I didn't. When we went from BBHacks to vBulletin, I wrote a thing to port all the existing user accounts and posts over to vBulletin though.

Yeah, but it's just a tiny fraction. From 98-2000 I was saving every potd in a folder on my PC... but I'm not sure what happened to them.

I was WAY too young at the time when this site came.

I was about 7 years old.

Heck, didn't even know about this. That's what it looked like back then?

Damn.

2Young2Remember. Lol.

Anyone know what happened to Bahdko? I wish DVS would chime in about that silly drawing. I wonder if he remembers.

Memfis - FancyPants....I don't remember what that was. Maybe Linquica does.

Anyone remember when "bridges" in the original engine were all the rage? Circa 98? You couldn't go under them but it was a big deal at the time.

I seem to recall there being more than 1 admin around here, maybe that was the aforementioned Lüt. Can't recall.

Linguica said:

lol apparently I had some sort of contest for a DW forums logo?

And they all suck, impressive! Illegible text, cheap blur effects, too many fonts, unfitting fonts, garish colors, excessively busy designs, and the obligatory animated flame gifs.