Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Antroid

So that one recolored screenshot that everyone likes...

So there's this photoshopped screenshot floating about. I think it was brought up in this subforum somewhere as well. It's basically a side-by-side comparison of a screenshot from Hell and the same screenshot recolored to have a red sky, red cacodemons with blue mouths, and grey rocks and shotgun.

Am I the only one who thinks that the "recolored" version looks like utter garish crap? I mean yeah, the old dooms were heavy on base colors, but now we have the capability for more nuanced and subtle design. In the Hell environment we've been shown, the sky is yellow-ish and obviously the atmospheric lighting process is in action which slightly tinges everything else in yellow. It's only realistic colored lighting, very important for immersion in today's games, yet there's many people who I personally think are incredibly narrow-minded that call it a "piss filter" and genuinely want the "old" garish, completely clashing colors. Like, in that screenshot, with a sky that red, there's no fucking way (in hell, heh) that the rocks and our gun would remain as desaturatedly grey as the recolorer made them. It's just not how light works. I personally think it would look like absolute garbage in motion - not only childishly cheesy for modern visual fidelity, but also completely wrong because of the lack of coloration under such an intense red sky. The old dooms looked like that only because they lacked the capability for colored lighting (and besides in those resolutions what did it even matter anyway).

Even Doom 64 already looked less garish and more reasonable, and was only more atmospheric for it.

Does anyone have an opinion on that particular thing?

That recolored screenshot looks like absolute shit, but i guess it fits right into the mindset of people unable to accept change, progress, or modernization.

FireFish said:

change, progress, or modernization

I don't see what any of these have to do with using less colors though

I'm hoping that Doom will have a more diverse palette when it comes out, but recoloring it to look like the original game is pathetic. There are too many rose-tinted glasses wearing mofos who refuse to look at a new product and give it a chance.

the screenshot looks like ass because it wasnt properly recolored, but i do think the new doom would look even better with colorful monsters (i love the new designs tho)

The blue fuzz in the recoloured caco demons mouth looks weird. Detailed models rendered in primary colours is silly but the point the comparison is trying to make, that the Hell landscape could use more contrast in colours is a fair critisism. As long as there's not 10 levels in a row looking like that it won't bother me though.

Linguica said:

I don't see what any of these have to do with using less colors though

I think it's just a more tasteful use of color, like you could argue that the iron mill or whatever was mainly black/grey + orange but those environments didn't need more colors. The hell kinda has a very slight similarity to a (much) less imaginative Zdzislaw Beksinski painting or something. I think it's just aesthetically much more mature than the old doom where everything was always super saturated and a lot of times colors of some textures would just completely clash with the rest of the picture, but they didn't have alternatives or something.

Antroid said:

I think it's just a more tasteful use of color, like you could argue that the iron mill or whatever was mainly black/grey + orange but those environments didn't need more colors. The hell kinda has a very slight similarity to a (much) less imaginative Zdzislaw Beksinski painting or something. I think it's just aesthetically much more mature than the old doom where everything was always super saturated and a lot of times colors of some textures would just completely clash with the rest of the picture, but they didn't have alternatives or something.

More contrast might be desirable. The gray and yellow ochre colors blend pretty strongly at times. (https://youtu.be/QiinO9JPUGw?t=983)

gamul312 said:

More contrast might be desirable. The gray and yellow ochre colors blend pretty strongly at times. (https://youtu.be/QiinO9JPUGw?t=983)

I don't really believe there's gonna be much danger of stuff blending together. There seems to be plenty light and shadow contrast, some areas with different colors, etc.

Then again, I've always been a fan of games that some people tend to call monotone or boring-looking, like Jericho, SSam 3, Cryostasis, heck, even Doom 3 (even though it's not monotone at all) etc.

Antroid said:

I don't really believe there's gonna be much danger of stuff blending together. There seems to be plenty light and shadow contrast, some areas with different colors, etc.

Then again, I've always been a fan of games that some people tend to call monotone or boring-looking, like Jericho, SSam 3, Cryostasis, heck, even Doom 3 (even though it's not monotone at all) etc.

What do you think of a color scheme that's kind of the inversion of a darkly low-contrast look, like Drawn to Death? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=128&v=U-TJ9jQd2kU) or maybe Mad World (Wii)? with Drawn to Death it has that look because it's inside a high schooler's notebook drawings. But I wondered if the contrast would be an issue with gameplay at times.

Sorry I think I replied to myself the first time.

I like the colourful version more. The original screenshot looks kind of bland to me because everything's the same colour.

I like the other recolored screenshot (except the cacodemon).

Antroid said:

Like, in that screenshot, with a sky that red, there's no fucking way (in hell, heh) that the rocks and our gun would remain as desaturatedly grey as the recolorer made them. It's just not how light works.

It's another dimension. I'd like a Hell with different laws of physics. The recoloured Hell screenshot looks like Serious Sam 2 or some shit, but the idea of light behaving differently in the Hell levels sounds good to me.

Anyway, games often fuck around with unrealistic lighting, with hero lighting and invisible sources all over the place. Crysis 3 wouldn't look half as good without mysterious lights shining upon its characters...

gamul312 said:

What do you think of a color scheme that's kind of the inversion of a darkly low-contrast look, like Drawn to Death? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=128&v=U-TJ9jQd2kU) or maybe Mad World (Wii)?

I thought mad world was murder for the eyes. I can only watch videos (no consoles) but I seriously couldn't understand how people's eyes were not bleeding out after more than five minutes.
Not feeling like I'd enjoy DtD's look either (kinda reminded me of borderlands or something from the short glimpse). The kind of cartoony that works for me is Wind Waker for example. Not that "mildly cartoony + wacky outlines" look.

SirKicksalot said:

It's another dimension. I'd like a Hell with different laws of physics. The recoloured Hell screenshot looks like Serious Sam 2 or some shit, but the idea of light behaving differently in the Hell levels sounds good to me.

This is an insult to Serious Sam 2. It was actually a really pretty game, and the general designs of the levels are solid. Planet Kleer - basically a fire&brimstone bunch of levels - looked pretty good and leagues above that awful recolor.

In terms of light being different in hell, I thought someone would bring up such an idea! IMO it would need to be much more thought out than "Super colorful sky doesnt shine onto stuff under it". If it was purposefully psychedelic or something it'd be very interesting (there was that one tech demo where you changed the speed of light by collecting things and it would accurately affect rendering, fucking up movement and colors. Made by some university I think). But with just that one contradiction to physics it's kind of an uncanny valley effect I guess, like your mind subconsciously realizes it's wrong because it's wrong on a level that you might not be keeping in mind actively.

I'm with you brother. These people are frickin whiners. Diversity with color is one thing but not to the point where it looks like a damn cartoon. People like this are stuck in 1993 and wont be satisfied unless they replicate the classics EXACTLY to their liking.

The more I look at the Cacodemons, the less I like them. Arms are fine, but the dopey eye is breaking the fear for me.

The lack of spikes is of grave concern.

Feel free to shit on me for this but I like the recoloured screenshot.

The colors are a bit too stoic, but it seems to be all in the lighting. When in the control room with the hand-activated panel, it's a greenish-blue that afflicts the whole room easily. When out in the refinery, that light's influencing the scene much like the Hell lighting is. It seems pretty much like it's entirely dependent on the room and situation, although this means they probably chose two awkward locations for this all.

But with how consistent the colors are in these environments, that indicates to me that besides certain areas, it doesn't matter how much saturation you put in - the colors are gonna be thickly themed, no matter where you are.

So seems less like they're focusing on having strong contrast within each bit of the environment, but rather strong contrasts between each bit of the environment.

Original version looks better but a red sky with it would have been legit

FireFish said:

people unable to accept change, progress, or modernization.

Like some people are getting tired of FPS looking like it's been saturated in piss and shit since 1996?

Not a fan of either one. Doom 4 has really bad color choices at this stage. Hope they fix that. I want hell to hav

Personally I don't like how bright and yellow the main base place is, but in the Hell gameplay, the sickly yellow there makes the whole place seem desolate, grungy, unsanitary for any normal living life to me.