Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Amiibos suck.

@FireFish

I'm not complaining that Nintendo are making plastic collectables, I'm complaining that people are lapping them up without being the slightest bit skeptical or wary of the extreme scarcity. It's their choice to waste their money and encourage products like this, but I still don't like it. I don't even think it's big deal, I just like to complain. :P

As for DLC, I'm perfectly fine with expansion content worth their asking price. It's the low-ROI nickel-and-diming/was-obviously-cut-from-the-base-game crap that I and others dislike.

SavageCorona said:

They're stupid toys for stupid games. I'm sticking to my heavily discounted Steam games.

Smash Bros isn't dumb :(

It's the only good game on Wii U though..

Arctangent said:

I think the Amiibos of the same character but from different games are actually functional for all the games that character supports; they're just different figures, i.e. the generic Bowser design vs. his design in Smash 4.

If that's true, then I revoke what I said.

I just wish they had more functionality in game - People wanted to play as their Amiibos, that seemed to be what most complaints were about initially.

(Whoops.. Sorry for the double post)

Doomkid said:

I just wish they had more functionality in game - People wanted to play as their Amiibos, that seemed to be what most complaints were about initially.

I was puzzled by that complaint - since it's possible to customise the characters and play as them anyway, having a custom character tied to an amiibo wouldn't really add anything, and would come at the expense of the more interesting training mechanic.

Still, I think Nintendo have struggled to find meaningful ways to have them interact with the games - it's a tricky balance between finding a way to have them add an extra dimension to the game, but without leaving people who don't have them feeling like they don't have a complete package. I think they did this quite nicely with MK8 and Smash (especially the latter), but it's been a bit patchy elsewhere, though more because they've failed to add anything interesting, rather than because they unlock too much and constitute bad DLC.

Sodaholic said:

I don't even think it's big deal, I just like to complain. :P

ya really think that's a good mindset to go on about?

Some people aren't happy unless they're complaining.

Heh, I must get on with the times. I misread this as "Amibios sucks".